Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

I will say that out of his Disneycember stuff, Up is pretty much the only one where my views line up with his views. Hell, he even touched that one part about how Nelson should have been even older than Carl, if not dead. See, I remember the names of these names and I haven't watched Up in a while. I still find that to be one pet peeve of mine with these reviews, in that he's like "This guy was voiced by so-and-so" Also, I wished he did some research on his things. Would it have been hard to mention things like how Ratatouille had a bit of development problems? Hell, I even wonder if he'll mention Brave's problems with their directors. Probably not.

Despite how much I find it hard for me to focus on JO's stuff, at least half the shit I've seen from her shows she looks up info from whatever it is she is rambling about.

Spark Of Spirit

The thing about Nelson in Up was that Carl was in his 70s. Nelson could have easily been in his early 90s for it to line up, and considering all his inventions it would have been no trouble at all for him to keep healthy and stay in shape despite his age. So I didn't really have much of an issue with that at all.

But yeah, it is weird when he does a review and can't remember character names. Even when I write them for the site here if I forget something I at least browse a wiki page or two. If you love what you do, putting effort into it shouldn't be so hard.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, I always thought that Nelson had the ability to build a deaging machine to keep him alive a little and not age too much. That, or the Fountain of Youth was at Paradise Falls.

My problem with Up is that when you get down to it, the movie is pretty much just another Pixar buddy comedy. It has a lot going for it, but sometimes I do wonder if it would have worked better as a 10 minute short.

As for Doug and his (lack of research), the one movie I'd be curious to see how he tackles is Bolt. That one's history gets pretty twisted.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Didn't he and Rob already do a review of Bolt in Sibling Rivalry?

Spark Of Spirit

To be fair though, Up is more than a buddy comedy with many more themes than, say, Finding Nemo. Plus it was an adventure story, we hardly get those at all anymore never mind in a family film. Finding Nemo was a lot more basic in execution than Up was, as well, and the characters were a lot more stock. Of all their buddy films I would say Monsters Inc and Up would be the best ones (though the first Toy Story is the only buddy comedy of the three films), so it's hard to fault them for being the best.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I guess that's true, but the feeling of repetition stings in hindsight.

That, and I don't care for the dogs either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, because I loved the usage of the dogs.  :D

Avaitor

Does that mean I have to wear the cone of shame?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on December 23, 2012, 12:23:09 AM
Does that mean I have to wear the cone of shame?
:lol:

One thing I had to agree with in his review was that the alpha dog made me laugh really hard even though it was such a simple joke. I don't usually find such simple stuff so funny, but Pixar has a real way at making simple jokes clever.

No-Personality

Is it me or does anyone else think maybe he should have picked strategic Live-Action classics to review for Disneycember 2?

Or, just called this one what it is: Pixarcember 1?
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on December 23, 2012, 09:46:47 AM
Is it me or does anyone else think maybe he should have picked strategic Live-Action classics to review for Disneycember 2?
Some of us are thinking that is what he's planning for next year, but Doug does seem like the kind of person who is only familiar with Mary Poppins when it comes to older live-action Disney. Although he did put a clip of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in one of his NC reviews, so who knows.

Also, you know what's one video I've always wanted to see Lindsay do? An Old vs. New on The Parent Trap. It would've been too "girly" for Doug, and Lindsay could easily find something to talk abut both. Although she'd probably make a couple of Lohan jokes too.

New blog!

Avaitor

I just saw his TS3 review, and while I do think that most of Doug's criticisms are weak, I do have to agree about how Andy could seem a little creepy at the end. I was expecting Bonnie's parents to come over or at least raise an eyebrow during his big monologue, and was surprised when they didn't.

Otherwise, it's a great scene. Sorry, bro.

Edit: And he BRIEFLY mentions Brave's production troubles. Like, blink and you'll miss it briefly.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on December 24, 2012, 11:41:13 AM
I do have to agree about how Andy could seem a little creepy at the end. 

I don't. :P

Spark Of Spirit

I don't either, he was just speaking kid with Bonnie. If he didn't she probably would have stayed away from him and the scene wouldn't have worked at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I also don't agree with Doug or Avaitor. That's 3 strikes. You'r opinion is automatically invalidated. That's a fact.