Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Don Cherry voicing a penguin is literally the only thing I remember about that movie.

Avaitor

Don't forget that one of the main reasons that John Lasseter dropped Chris Sanders from Bolt is that he felt that the plot was developing too similarly to Cars 2 and I believe Toy Story 3 as well. Silver's speculation may not be too far off.

Quote from: Daxdiv on January 01, 2013, 11:20:06 PM
So no Wreck-It Ralph then? Interesting that he ended Disneycember on this.
Well, WIR isn't on video yet, so I can see him ending Disneycember without touching on it for now. Depending on what route Doug goes with for this year's set of films, be it live-action, oddities, or even the sequels, I think he might add Ralph in as a bonus. And maybe Nightmare and Frankenweenie as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

This might be a bit late, but have you guys seen Doug and Rob's video discussing The Hobbit?

Their opinions on the movie were vastly different. What's funny is that I agree with parts of both of their arguments. I feel that Rob pointed out flaws that were kind of nit picky and, in all honestly, don't matter. For example, when he mentioned the movie felt like a clash between a massive epic and a child story. Okay, maybe the movie was a little too silly. But honestly, I liked the atmosphere of it. I like that it captures the spirit of the novel as a light hearted journey, with a touch of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings flavor.

But on the other hand... Really Doug? Better than the Lord of the Rings films? ... Really? Personally, I don't think it comes close to any of them. Hard to imagine how it could be seen as better than every single one of them. And this is aided by how, in typical Doug fashion, the points he makes against LotR don't entirely make sense and sound somewhat desperate (trying to combat Rob's points about the importance of the council in FotR by saying Gandalf's discussion with the White Council in Hobbit was important cause it let the dwarves get away... nice try, Doug).

Still, in the end, I see the points they both make for and against the movie. For what it is, I do still like The Hobbit.

The Shadow Gentleman

A very special Christmas edition of Disneycember

I actually agree with some of Doug's points. Particularly on the scene were Scrooge is face to face with Cratchit.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 16, 2013, 12:44:33 AMthe movie felt like a clash between a massive epic and a child story.
... This is where research comes in.

That's exactly what it is! An epic written for children.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 16, 2013, 03:26:27 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 16, 2013, 12:44:33 AMthe movie felt like a clash between a massive epic and a child story.
... This is where research comes in.

That's exactly what it is! An epic written for children.

That's how I feel. I guess the point he was trying to make is that it felt like it wasn't sure if it wanted to be an adult's fantasy or a children's fantasy. But that's not the feeling I got. I thought it did a good job blending them together.

Daxdiv

Doug is bringing the Nostalgia Critic back. Check back on February 5th where he reviews The Odd Life of Timothy Green.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

New blog!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 22, 2013, 06:20:32 PM
???

I'm going to be honest with ya... I'm as confused as you are as to why he brought him back.

He made a bit of a mini movie where he had some internal struggle with himself and judging from the video, he's aiming to make a review every 2 weeks for him to be more creative and that he doesn't have that time frame restriction.

Avaitor

Wait, a review every two weeks? Does that mean he's done with Demo Reel, or is he going to alternate between both series?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm lost as to why he's doing it since- A) the movie isn't nostalgic, B) the character is retired, and C) the whole reason he was retired is because he's stale.

Also... there's nothing offensively bad about the film to be quite honest. It's a harmless family movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So is this a confirmation that Demo Reel bombed hard? I honestly wouldn't know, myself, as I stopped watching it after the 2nd episode, as I'm just not into those sort of Internet skit comedies.

Avaitor

If Lindsay's right, money seems to be a factor for the return.

New blog!