Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstar

I just hope that Doug's reason for bringing back the Nostalgia Critic is what he portrayed in his video: that returning to the NC is his decision and that he actually wants to return to NC because he feels like he can do more with it, and not that he's just caving in to fan wanking.

The modifications made to the NC reviews: a new review every 2 weeks instead of every week and removing the cutoff dates so pretty much everything is fair game, should prove beneficial to Doug and to the NC reviews, so they'll stand less chance of becoming stale and he can avoid being overworked and getting burnt out. Plus, Doug said that he'd continue doing other stuff on the site from time to time.

I kind of feel sorry for the actors hired for Demo Reel, since by all appearances that would seem to be over. I actually didn't mind Demo Reel, though I honestly preferred the first couple of episodes when each installment was a self-contained story (when it started to follow a soap opera style format it wasn't as good IMO) and I hope that maybe Doug and Rob can find something else for those guys to do.

Also: my 100th post. Huzzah!
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Spark Of Spirit

If he's only doing it for money-related reasons I wouldn't expect the quality to get any better.

That isn't much of a drive for creativity.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Goldstar

Quote from: Avaitor on January 22, 2013, 06:26:37 PM
Wait, a review every two weeks? Does that mean he's done with Demo Reel, or is he going to alternate between both series?

I could be wrong about this, but by all appearances, Demo Reel is done.

One reason for Doug's resurrecting the Nostalgia Critic is likely financial. ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com is Doug's job, not just a hobby, and Nostalgia Critic was always the main attraction of TGWTG, so the viewership may have decreased without NC as an anchor to the site. I know that many people only watched the NC reviews and nothing else on the site. I was like that originally until I saw the crossovers with Linkara, Lupa and the others and starting watching their videos as well. It was my younger brother who got me into watching Todd in the Shadows. Still, I hope that the decision to bring back NC was at least partially because Doug still wants to do it and not because he feels that he has to, and hopefully he'll still get to do some of the other non-Critic related things that he wants to on the site.

As for Demo Reel, I had mixed feelings about it; I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It seemed a tad uneven and directionless at times, as if Doug and Rob weren't sure what they wanted the show to be. DR had problems, but it wasn't unfixable. Perhaps the other actors will have something to do on the site if DR is truly kaput. Even if DR failed, I can't fault Doug for wanting to try something different.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

talonmalon333

I do think it's kind of nice. The Nostalgia Critic's issue was always that it was too frequent and that it burned itself out. So I'm glad he's giving himself more time and more material to work with. Demo Reel was okay, but it never felt like something that had much staying power. To be honest, I do wholly believe that his reason for returning is what he says it is, and not just pure money or giving into what the fans want. I mean, he sounds very sincere in that video in every way.

I've also been feeling like there's more potential recently. I remember thinking that an Old vs. New on The Hobbit would be nice.

Quote from: Silverstar on January 22, 2013, 08:42:21 PM
I kind of feel sorry for the actors hired for Demo Reel, since by all appearances that would seem to be over. I actually didn't mind Demo Reel, though I honestly preferred the first couple of episodes when each installment was a self-contained story (when it started to follow a soap opera style format it wasn't as good IMO) and I hope that maybe Doug and Rob can find something else for those guys to do.

I was thinking about them, too. Hopefully they'll still have a job.

Peanutbutter

As long as he genuinely wants to bring back the Critic, that's fine for me. Fortunately, it seems pretty clear from that video that he was starting to miss the Critic himself and got new ideas that just came to him. If he's letting himself have more time to do reviews, that should bring the quality back at least a little. Here's hoping the Critic's return works out.  :thumbup:

As for Demo Reel, I only watched the first episode, but despite this I still plan on watching the rest of it at some point.

The Shadow Gentleman

I'm not really surprised. I don't think anyone else on the site can draw in the numbers the way the NC could.

So is he going to review just any movie he wants? Kinda defeats the purpose of a "Nostalgia" Critic. Not that I'm complaining.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Graywulf on January 23, 2013, 06:40:39 AM

So is he going to review just any movie he wants? Kinda defeats the purpose of a "Nostalgia" Critic. Not that I'm complaining.

He's kind of stretching the term "nostalgia", saying that basically that any movie can be nostalgic after leaving movie theaters. Which is fine by me.

Foggle

Yeah, I'm really nostalgic for Looper.

Daxdiv

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 23, 2013, 12:17:56 PM

He's kind of stretching the term "nostalgia", saying that basically that any movie can be nostalgic after leaving movie theaters. Which is fine by me.

That's a weak sauce excuse in my book.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on January 23, 2013, 12:54:12 PM

Same.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Silverstar

^Perhaps, but the Whatever Critic doesn't have the same ring.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Peanutbutter on January 23, 2013, 01:25:13 AM
As for Demo Reel, I only watched the first episode, but despite this I still plan on watching the rest of it at some point.

I sure hope you have something nearby to numb the pain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZVLiBarC3k

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 23, 2013, 12:54:59 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on January 23, 2013, 12:54:12 PM

Same.

Well it's technically accurate, even if it does go against the original meaning of the name. But so what? :P

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on January 12, 2013, 12:59:51 PMTodd's top 10 worst of the year list is gold.
I can't agree. Now, it's true I was as sour on "Where Have You Been" as the haters are now when I first heard it. But... I was wrong. This song is incredible.

Todd's reasons were pathetic as well. Except for the general "lyrics are weak." This is true. But it doesn't matter when they are performed this well. If there is any weakness on Rihanna's part, the production covers it up perfectly. This song will be legend, if it isn't already. It's in the Rihanna Pantheon of Single Greatness now alongside "Umbrella," "Rude Boy," "SOS," "Only Girl in the World," "Hard," "Pon de Replay," "Man Down," "Wait Your Turn," (and, in my book, "S&M").

I will accept no arguments to the contrary; this song rules. If you say otherwise, you don't really get dance / club music.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Uh, well, his top 10 best is up.

So far, I like one of these songs, cause it's provocative.

Edit: Wait, Gotye is only #6? Damn.

Mehhhh, not-Cecilia.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/