Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstar

Doug's 3rd favorite character is Mrs. Brisby from The Secret of NIMH.

I was a kid when that movie came out, so my memories of it are vague. I do recall that there were some notable voice actors in it, some of whom would become bigger stars later: 2 of Mrs. Brisby's children, Theresa and Martin respectively, were voiced Shannen Doherty (pre-90210 and Charmed) and Will Wheaton (pre-Star Trek: TNG), and the main comic relief of the movie, Jeremy the crow, was voiced by the late Dom DeLuise.

Whatever you do, stay far away from Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue, which the NC already reviewed.

Only 2 more to go.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Surprise, surprise. #2 was Batman.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Looks like I was wrong about Batman taking his #1. But #2 is very good.

I think I honestly might choose Batman as my personal #1, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 28, 2013, 08:21:53 PM

Which version? I'm assuming the BTAS/DCAU Batman, but I didn't think that it would hurt to ask just to be sure.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 28, 2013, 10:39:16 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 28, 2013, 08:21:53 PM

Which version? I'm assuming the BTAS/DCAU Batman, but I didn't think that it would hurt to ask just to be sure.

Doug chose DCAU Batman, and Michael Keaton Batman.

My personal choice would be DCAU Batman specifically. That said, there's very few Batmans (Batmen?) that I don't like.

Avaitor

I can say in my own top 10 (or 12, I guess), that no DC characters make it in.

A couple of Marvel characters do, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Might be a good thread idea. Surprised we don't have one already. (Or do we?)

Avaitor

We do not. Pick the right board and start one if you want. :P

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on April 29, 2013, 12:03:51 AM
I can say in my own top 10 (or 12, I guess), that no DC characters make it in.

A couple of Marvel characters do, though.

Silverstar

Aside from possibly Superman or Wonder Woman, I'm not sure if any superheroes would make my Top 10 Favorite Characters list, not that I ever attempted to get off my lazy ass and compose such a list. I'm not even sure I have 10 choices, unless I were to go by Doug's rules and count both animated and live-action characters from movies and TV shows. A few characters do come to mind, however. Hmmm...

Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

#1 is Atticus Finch and Marge Gunderson.

Did not see that coming.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Atticus Finch is certainly one of Gregory Peck's best and most memorable rolls. I still prefer the book over the film, but they definitely nailed down that particular character, who isn't exactly one of my personal favorite characters of all time, but certainly the best one from To Kill a Mockingbird.

I watched Fargo once a long time ago and barely remember any of the movie, so I can't comment on the other character that he picked.

Overall, it was a good and interesting list, though I can't help but feel that these videos justify what Avaitor said about the NC just a while back after he did his tribute video to Roger Ebert; in that he clearly has a tendency to ramble on and pretty much say the same thing for a few minutes straight. There's also a hint of a "snobbish" attitude to what he says when he speaks in his more serious tone, but I'm pretty sure that's just me looking being incredibly nit-picky. Its still a good list and he did a good job explaining his choices, but he really could have said what he needed to say about each character in under a minute and nothing would have been lost from any of his videos (as in: he could have just made a single 10-minute video for this entire list and that would have probably been better).

LumRanmaYasha

I haven't watched Nostalgia Critic in a while, but I couldn't help but watch his latest one, a Top 11 list of his favorite  South Park episodes.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/39093-nostalgia-critic-top-11-south-park-episodes

His List:
11. Christian Hard Rock
10. Brittney's New Look
9. Cancelled
8. Chinpokomon
7. Good Times with Weapons
6. Make Love Not Warcraft
5. The Passion of the Jew
4. The Coon Trilogy
3. Woodland Critter Christmas
2. All about Mormons
1. Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants

I'd say it's a good list, in that I understand why he likes these particular episodes so much. Like he said, South Park has so many good episodes it's hard to narrow them down to a list of only 10 or 11. I can't make one on the top of my head, myself, because there are 30-40 episodes that I'd have to choose between and that takes time, although I might do a response list in the South Park thread on the weekend or something.

As for Doug's actual selections, the most surprising ones for me are "Brittney's New Look" and the "Coon: Hindsight" trilogy. From what I've seen, "Brittney's New Look" is almost uniformly hated by most of the fanbase, and I myself, although I get it's message and laughed a fair amount during it, think it's one of the top 5 worst episodes of South Park. Doug also mentioned liking "Raising the Bar" as a similar episode he liked, but I also didn't really care for that one. As for the "Coon:Hindsight" trilogy, while they weren't bad, I felt the arc was one episode too long and not South Park's finest. The jokes about Kenny's deaths and Captain Hindsight and the BP CEO apologies were overrun and got stale fast, and while most of what Cartman did in those episodes was genuinely hilarious, it's sandwiched between all of the Mintberry Crunch, Cthulu cult, and Mysterion stuff, none of which was very funny or paid off all that well. I don't hate the episodes, far from it, but they aren't all that great in my opinion. I much prefer the "Imaginationland" trilogy even though I'm not sure how up on my list that is, myself.

Doug's other picks were solid. "Make Love not Warcraft" and "Good Times with Weapons" are universally loved by most fans so it was unsurprising to see them, and I was expecting "Woodland Critter Christmas." I loved that "All about Mormons" was on his list, as that's one of my favorite episodes to rewatch and he summed up why it's so great perfectly. I also loved hearing why he thinks "Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants" is his favorite South Park episode. I've always found it a funny and solid South Park episode, but I was oblivious to all of this context when I was a kid and I obviously didn't watch the episode until a good 7 years after it aired anyway. Dough showed how it's a shining example of how South Park's timeliness and sense of humor is so valuable and why it can still produce a great episode even after all these years, and why it's one of the best animated series in general. So while "Osama Bin Laden" isn't a top favorite for me personally, I totally got where he was coming from.

It was interesting to watch Nostalgia Critic, or a reviewer in general, after not watching one for about 9 months or so now. I should watch some of his post-revival episodes and Cinema Snob again. If JesuOtaku and CR! update, I'll catch their new reviews too.

Avaitor

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha