Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 15, 2013, 11:21:34 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 15, 2013, 11:05:12 PMUnfortunately, that's not the way it works. What the studio says goes. It was why FOX wouldn't let any X-Men movies by longer than a certain length after X2 and all those movies suffered for it. The studios and theaters want movies a specific length so they can get more showings and more money, they don't care if someone doesn't get to see Saruman.

But luckily in the case of LOTR (and even movies like Lethal Weapon, Blade Runner, and Superman II) the director had been given a chance to put the cut he intended out. And because studios don't have to negotiate time for money, they don't particularly care if they get released so people who want the extra material can see them.

Anyway, the scene exists and is in the movie. Saying "it's not there" when it is available is being unbelievably pedantic. I'm not even sure what's so bad about watching the extended version of ROTK in the first place, it's excellent.

I never said there's anything bad about watching the extended version, or even anything to suggest that it's worse than the theatrical cut. That's not even relevant to what I'm saying here. I just think a viewer should get the conclusive story and not have to pay extra for it. I also imagine that, of all the 200 minutes in that movie (or however long the theatrical version is), there has to be something in it that could've been cut instead of the death and conclusion of one of the series main villains.
My point is that the scene IS in a version of the film and he's acting like it isn't because he only wants a bullet point for his list. And to do this he is pretending that the extended cut doesn't exist or count.

Yes, they probably could have cut something out... somehow. Even though there was little else to edit that wouldn't cut the flow as little as a sub-plot that has nothing much to do with the rest of the film and stops the film cold to deal with it.  But they didn't. The fact of the matter is that it really doesn't matter because it's in the full version of the film and readily available to watch for anyone who wants the complete film.

My point is that his complaint hasn't been relevant for over decade. For what it's worth, you can get the extended cut for peanuts these days.

Like I better get started on my Blade Runner list and put the narration down for a flaw, after all it must apply to every version because why should a list apply to every version when I can cherry-pick a single version and ignore the version that addresses my complaint?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

We might as well agree to disagree at this point. I think a good comparison for me to make to sum up my side is that, if I were to make a top list of the dumbest Star Wars moments, I'd feel inclined to include changes made in the Special Editions, such as Greeto shooting first and Vader screaming "Noooooo!" when the Emperor is killing Luke. I feel the list idea is suppose to encompass everything Star Wars (or rather, in this case, Lord of the Rings) and that includes various versions of it... even if it's only to fill up space. Because don't forget, I still think Doug's idea to make a Lord of the Rings list is lame, almost as lame as the list itself. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 16, 2013, 04:02:11 PM
We might as well agree to disagree at this point. I think a good comparison for me to make to sum up my side is that, if I were to make a top list of the dumbest Star Wars moments, I'd feel inclined to include changes made in the Special Editions, such as Greeto shooting first and Vader screaming "Noooooo!" when the Emperor is killing Luke. I feel the list idea is suppose to encompass everything Star Wars (or rather, in this case, Lord of the Rings) and that includes various versions of it... even if it's only to fill up space. Because don't forget, I still think Doug's idea to make a Lord of the Rings list is lame, almost as lame as the list itself. :P
I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't even care about the Star Wars issues if Lucas would at least let people see the original versions.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

You can see the original versions... They are just in a small TV format and at best are relegated to "Special Features" in most Star Wars sets. :P

Avaitor

I kind of wish that Doug would save his Top 11s for his Editorials space and just do his NC reviews when he's supposed to.

I find it hard to believe that Doug will run out of things to review.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on July 16, 2013, 05:19:50 PM
I kind of wish that Doug would save his Top 11s for his Editorials space and just do his NC reviews when he's supposed to.

I find it hard to believe that Doug will run out of things to review.

Well most of us are just laughing at his Top 11 LotR list. So I'd say it fits alongside his NC comedic reviews. :P

Peanutbutter

GregX

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 15, 2013, 06:36:00 PMSometimes Doug just needs to learn to accept when he's wrong about some of his criticisms and that he needs to make sure that he does his freaking research before really criticizing something. Its a lot of work, sure, but that's what being a critic is, otherwise just any person could be a critic and there'd be no prestige or dignity to the job at all.

Doug Walker is less a critic and more of a comedian. I met him in person at Connecticon last weekend, attended one of his panels. Doug Walker and the Nostalgia Critic are very different personas. While they share a lot of opinions, Doug in real life is much more down to earth and humble about it all.

He hosted a panel called "Movies Everyone Disagrees With You On" which was basically people admitting to loving unpopular movies, hating popular movies and why they felt this way. He stretched at the beginning that no one is wrong and that discussing differing opinions on movies are, in his opinion, a good way to get to know someone.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: GregX on July 18, 2013, 06:48:08 PM
Doug Walker is less a critic and more of a comedian. I met him in person at Connecticon last weekend, attended one of his panels. Doug Walker and the Nostalgia Critic are very different personas. While they share a lot of opinions, Doug in real life is much more down to earth and humble about it all.

He hosted a panel called "Movies Everyone Disagrees With You On" which was basically people admitting to loving unpopular movies, hating popular movies and why they felt this way. He stretched at the beginning that no one is wrong and that discussing differing opinions on movies are, in his opinion, a good way to get to know someone.

Its true that the NC is just a character, but even in some of his videos where he gives his serious opinions on things (like in Sibling Rivalry, for example) he has a tendency every now and then to throw out criticisms that are actually addressed in the movie, but which he missed. I don't mind it that much usually, but sometimes he'll point something like that out as a major flaw of the movie when it is addressed and he may have just missed it on his first viewing or interpreted it differently from everyone else, which is where I think some people might get a little ticked off with him.

At any rate, my post reads a bit harsher than I meant to sound. I really don't have a problem with his opinions on stuff he likes or doesn't like. I'm always cool with differing opinions. Its just that when you do try to make legitimate criticisms of a work, it is best to make sure you are at least not missing some pretty significant detail in that very work that may counteract your criticism. Of course, that's bound to happen every now and then, but I suppose I've just noticed Doug do it a little bit more than I'd like, but whatever, its his opinion so I don't really dwell on it that much.

Avaitor

Quote from: GregX on July 18, 2013, 06:48:08 PM
Ooh, I hope that one is up online soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Peanutbutter

Okay, just watched all of it. Some of the jokes are flat, but I had quite a few good chuckles with it, and the acting was actually not half bad. Even Doug did a great job with his character. I also like the dude they got to play the jackass pencil pusher, he was really good. Doug apparently directed this too.

Silverstar

"Dragon Bored" was a little longer than it needed to be, but it was decent enough.

I liked Sci-Fi Guy's entry, "Dragged In" a little more, honestly. It was much shorter, so it never dragged and I liked the sudden absurd turn it took.

We're only 2 shorts in, but I have to say, I like this idea of several shorts by various contributors better than everybody partaking in one giant story. This way the various teams can more effectively concentrate on their work since they don't have to accommodate everyone else and the stories aren't dragged out.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Silverstar

Well, now that all of the Uncanny Valley shorts have been released, I can offer my 2 cents on them:

"Dragonbored": Amusing Twilight Zone-esque premise, well-acted, but a little long.

"Dragged In": I liked this one for sheer absurdity. It had you thinking it was going to be something intense and serious, then it took a complete 180 turn to the extremely silly.

"The Reviewers": This is when the UV shorts stopped having supernatural sci-fi twists, which I'm sure annoyed some people, but the shorts could be about anything, it was never carved in stone that they had to be sci-fi themed. "Reviewers" was pure Team Snob, offering an inside look/cautionary tale about the ins and outs of internet review shows and the belief held by folks that you can achieve instant fame by having one. "Reviewers" struck kid of a chord with me, 'cause I've been thinking about launching an online show of some kind. The best bit was the Messiah show with Brad as a former child star who appeared in 'The Genius', an obvious parody of The Wizard.

"Internet Dating and Me": Another relatively straight premise (Mike J embarking on online dating) made entertaining by surprise cameos (Hagan and Mathew Buck) and some twisted humor.

"The Dark Side of the Internet": I'm sure Welshy's short ticked a lot of people off since it didn't try to be funny or even tell a narrative story; it was a straight mini-PSA documentary about online celebrity and the dangers of online communication, but I thought it was well-done for what it was. Having gone through my own fair share of crappy experiences with other people on the internet, I took this one to heart. Getting Lupa, Phelous, Linkara, Sad Panda and others to participate was a nice touch.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Nel_Annette

I only watched Mike J's short (I try to avoid the anniversary stuff as I've never found it entertaining.) but I really do like how in the first act, he thinks he's god's gift to humanity. The way he does it in his same, straight-faced monotone voice is just hilarious.