Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on August 16, 2013, 06:48:26 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 06, 2013, 11:31:54 PMI'm watching it now. How much did Doug watch of this? He doesn't get the point of Sailor V at all.
He seems to have stopped somewhere around episode 9, of the U.S. version (which is something like episode 12 of the Japanese). So, he only noticed Ami and Raye join the Scouts'.

Except that someone clearly told him about the lesbian characters in the later seasons, so...
Well, aren't they basically common knowledge among nerd culture at this point?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

I seem to remember Sailor Moon being in his List of the Top 11 Nostalgia Critic Episodes He Will Never Do video...
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on August 20, 2013, 01:25:45 PM
New One-Hit Wonderland.

I know this act, too!

Wait, do you mean you actually know someone from Mr. Big? Or just that you actually know the song?

Avaitor

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 20, 2013, 08:13:31 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 20, 2013, 01:25:45 PM
New One-Hit Wonderland.

I know this act, too!

Wait, do you mean you actually know someone from Mr. Big? Or just that you actually know the song?
Nah, I'm just quite familiar with Mr. Big. I agree with Todd's sentiments, too. They're GREAT musicians, but song writing wasn't their strong suit. The lead-singer also

I'd put them below Extreme, Skid Row and Motley Crue, but they're still up there in the hair metal canon. I also wish that Todd took a chance to talk about Richie Kotzen's era of the band, since he's great, but that was well past their 15 minutes in the US, so I understand why he just skimmed over their post-"To Be With You" history.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm sorry, but I hated that.

This was basically Doug just trying to make lightning strike twice ala his Moulin Rouge! review, which wasn't as good as he thought it was was to begin with.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Haven't seen that review yet but isn't Doug a huge fan of Les Mis?

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 21, 2013, 01:32:43 PM
Yeah, the three main reviewers of the video are fans of the musical- he, Oancitizen and Paw. But each of them have contrasting opinions towards the movie, which is where the conflict and analysis would go. If there was more of that and less of Paw and Ellie singing love songs to each other.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on August 21, 2013, 01:36:07 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 21, 2013, 01:32:43 PM
Yeah, the three main reviewers of the video are fans of the musical- he, Oancitizen and Paw. But each of them have contrasting opinions towards the movie, which is where the conflict and analysis would go. If there was more of that and less of Paw and Ellie singing love songs to each other.

Ah, it's the movie version he's reviewing?

Is it another really long review? :wth:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on August 21, 2013, 01:22:19 PM
I'm sorry, but I hated that.

This was basically Doug just trying to make lightning strike twice ala his Moulin Rouge! review, which wasn't as good as he thought it was was to begin with.

Yeah, that's just about how I felt. I wasn't a fan of his Moulin Rouge review, either. As far as his "musical" reviews go, I actually did enjoy his Grinch review, because it was just focused on being amusing and the subject matter was easy to tear apart. I'll give Doug props for how ambitious he got with this episode (just like with his Moulin Rouge review), but I somehow get the feeling that his review is more boring than the movie he's criticizing (even though I haven't seen this particular movie iteration), which is always a bad sign. I also think the over-use of other Internet celebrities really overloaded this video and ruined it's pacing, and was honestly pretty unnecessary since most of these people didn't add anything to the review itself (once again, this was the exact same problem that I had with the Moulin Rouge review, except it was made even worse here).

Oh well, here's to hoping that his review of The Last Airbender goes well, given how much hype has inevitably gone into that one.

Peanutbutter

I don't know what the two of you are talking about. I thought this was very good, and I myself didn't like the Moulin Rouge review.  Most of the jokes and gags in this were funny. Also, even their parody songs had something to do with reviewing the flick.

Paw explained things about the musical side, Kyle was there to explain the acting techniques and cinematography. Brentalfloss was pretty much just a running gag, but I thought the part where they hid from him in the closet was hilarious. Paw's acting was a little spotty in the skits, but he was fine otherwise. Kyle I thought did very well and is actually one of the few people to have natural chemistry with the Critic out of the Channel Awesome crew.

Avaitor

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on August 21, 2013, 01:22:19 PMDoug just trying to make lightning strike twice ala his Moulin Rouge! review, which wasn't as good as he thought it was was to begin with.
You are very much INcorrect, sir (along with Ensatsu-ken). It may very well be the best video anyone on the site has produced to-date. As a Doug video. I'm tempted to call it one of Doug's Movies just so I can herald it as superior to Suburban Knights. Of course, it's mostly driven by Brental Floss and - somewhat amusingly - I really don't like his solo videos. But he proves here that he has as much talent as anyone on the site, he just needed the right venue.

Quote from: Avaitor on August 22, 2013, 02:03:50 PMLINDSAY'S BACK!!!!
While this is easily an improvement over her Sister Act video (one of her weakest, easily), I have mixed feelings all over the place here. The review being split between the television show and film leads her to take a very "meh" opinion about the movie and I really don't think that is the type of movie to be "meh" about. She doesn't process nor review subtle humor in films very well (this was problematic of her Earth Girls Are Easy review as well- she reviewed the movie like it were straight when the humor couldn't have been more bent, she apparently took no notice of it). Before even establishing an actual opinion on the movie, she nitpicks pieces of it in a fashion that is questionable at best. I mean, this is a non-linear review. So, she's taking pieces out of it without giving them context. Not to mention she failed to make her criticism of the ending (which I don't necessarily disagree with) relevant to any of her previous points. Plus I'm not sure I love her groundwork- she started with "the 90's versus today"... and she forgot about that pretty fast, the rest of the video was about what made the TV show progressive and then how pieces of the movie don't work. What that has to do with The Smurfs 2, I'll never know.

That said, she's rebound from lesser videos (The Lorax after Sister Act). And, meanwhile, I'm still excited for her to discuss the sequel. Also... she didn't mention the Brady Bunch Movie in her list of Classic TV adaptations of the 90's... I'm desperately hoping that means: either they'll get a review or they'll be part of the discussion for Addams Family Values.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: No-Personality on August 31, 2013, 07:59:12 AMYou are very much INcorrect, sir (along with Ensatsu-ken).

There's no such thing as an incorrect opinion. Personally, I didn't think the songs were either particularly clever or funny (whatever they were going for with them), and it's never a good sign for me when I'd rather be watching the movie that's being reviewed rather than the review itself, being that this is still mostly a large criticism of the film (which, to be clear, is a film that I have not seen yet).