Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

The review is on the Les Mis movie, right? I still think that movie was very good.

No-Personality

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 31, 2013, 03:55:30 PM
Quote from: No-Personality on August 31, 2013, 07:59:12 AMYou are very much INcorrect, sir (along with Ensatsu-ken).
There's no such thing as an incorrect opinion.
In my opinion, there is.

Viva la Exception-to-the-Rule!

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 31, 2013, 03:55:30 PMPersonally, I didn't think the songs were either particularly clever or funny (whatever they were going for with them), and it's never a good sign for me when I'd rather be watching the movie that's being reviewed rather than the review itself, being that this is still mostly a large criticism of the film (which, to be clear, is a film that I have not seen yet).
Well, I disagree.

Look, if we judged every song one by one, there would be different standards for each number. There's no way to get them all perfect, and there is a different Better Judge for every style, subject matter, etc. But I do believe Doug's movies have proved beyond conclusively that TGWTG is a place where people try and try and don't always get what they're doing perfect. Nor is it important for every person watching their videos to come to a video with a bag of research.

But if you're speaking loosely, what they were doing was very clever and I guess I can't trust your perspective on this. I don't know how you're judging, what your criteria for cleverness is, how much you actually expected and how well you know the styles, what you apparently know about Doug and Brental Floss as writers and performers that I don't, what research you assume they did, etc. Many etc's.

But as simple entertainment, which is pretty much how I judge the videos by everyone who isn't trying to make an academic argument... this video was outstanding and so were the songs. All of them.

If you want to disagree further, I would appreciate some further input.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Look, I'm not getting into an elaborate argument with you over this. If you liked it, then great. If you want my criteria for judging the songs in this video, it's really very simple; if Doug and company were trying to be funny here, then I suppose I just "didn't get the joke," so to speak; if they were trying to be serious, then their songs just didn't appeal to me at all (musicals aren't really my thing, as it is).

I suppose we just don't see eye-to-eye when it comes to what we like in Internet review videos. I don't really have a problem with that, myself, because my opinions are just my own, and I don't expect everyone to share them. Could I elaborate in finer detail as to why I hold those opinions? Probably, yeah. Do I want to spend a lot of time analyzing every problem I have with this video and constructing a counter-argument that'll be refuted, anyways? Not particularly.

No-Personality

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 31, 2013, 10:30:22 PMI suppose I just "didn't get the joke," so to speak
Did you see the movie they were reviewing?
and I love it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I already stated that I didn't, but I am familiar with other iterations of Les Mis?rables. That said, there have been plenty of Nostalgia Critic episodes in which he reviews a movie (or even TV show) that I have not seen before I and I still really get the humor, so whether I've seen the film in question or not should not mean that I'm not supposed to enjoy the review if I haven't.

No-Personality

I believe you have to see the movie to appreciate the review. And I don't believe they expected people who hadn't seen the movie to be impressed with the video.
and I love it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll say "fair enough" to the point about seeing the movie first to appreciate the review. I'll check out the film sometime later, and perhaps come back to the review to see if anything changes. That said, I don't believe they expected everyone watching the review to have seen the film. I back this statement up with how they went into a fair about of detail in terms of background information regarding Les Mis, which I don't think would have been necessary at all if they had really thought that all of their viewers would have already seen the film.

No-Personality

One watch of Lindsay's video on Les Mis kind of explains why they have to do background info on that versus Moulin Rouge, which you don't have to know anything about before seeing. And isn't half as long as the LM musical.
and I love it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: No-Personality on August 31, 2013, 11:08:49 PM
I believe you have to see the movie to appreciate the review. And I don't believe they expected people who hadn't seen the movie to be impressed with the video.
That's not the way to get the most amount of interest for a review.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

IT'S HERE! ;D

I haven't watched it yet, but we'll soon see if this review lives up to the hype or not.

Peanutbutter

I didn't like the parts with Shymalan as Amon, but other than that this was a great review. The part where he tried to pick the best joke for Princess Yue's hair slayed me. :D He also did a wonderful job laying out and deconstructing why the movie got everything it did wrong.

It's really sad how M. Night went from doing Sixth Sense and Unbreakable to garbage like this and The Happening. My only guess as to what the deal is with him is that he got way too full of himself from all the critical acclaim and the spotlight he got from Sixth Sense.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah....I already linked to that in the post right before yours. :>

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 03, 2013, 04:40:14 PM
Yeah....I already linked to that in the post right before yours. :>

Pfft. Don't know what you're talking about.  :thinkin:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Peanutbutter on September 03, 2013, 03:16:32 PMIt's really sad how M. Night went from doing Sixth Sense and Unbreakable to garbage like this and The Happening. My only guess as to what the deal is with him is that he got way too full of himself from all the critical acclaim and the spotlight he got from Sixth Sense.
After Signs he got so full of himself that he left Disney and went to a company that gave him full reign which explains a lot. There's a story out there about how he crashed an exec's birthday party for his daughter to force him to read a revision of the script one of his later films that really paints him as an egomaniac. It's pretty evident when you watch the first three movies then watch anything he has made since. They're all overly-indulgent, self-important and poorly edited without any sort of restraint.

The man needs limitations and someone telling him what he can't and can't do. As a filmmaker, he really doesn't have that ability.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, Avatar's not one of the best series of all time. Man, I'm gonna sing that song until the day I day.

Watching the review now though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/