Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I would actually watch his vlogs if he did The Wire.

Peanutbutter

Well, Adventure Time is a good cartoon with great character development, and it's still fun to watch so I can understand why he'd want to do vlogs for it. Especially since he's done with Avatar until Korra ends. Heck, it would be great if he does some for Regular Show in the future.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Has Doug ever seen Trigun? I know he doesn't watch much anime, but I figured since he loves Bebop, he shoul at least give that one a try. It'd be convenient to do V-Logs for as well, since it's only 26 episodes long.

Other than that, I'd love to see him do V-Logs for Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, or Serenity.

LumRanmaYasha

Well, maybe he's already watched Breaking Bad, and I'd be surprised if he has not watched any or all of Whedon's shows. It doesn't make much sense to do The Wire at this point since the show is done and there are no future projects involving it, same with Spectacular Spiderman, and while How I met Your Mother and Archer are popular shows...they don't have the following or "notability" to the same extent Adventure Time does.

While I think it's a little random to do it now, it makes a lot of sense as to why he would do V-Logs of Adventure Time. The show is easily THE most popular cartoon to have been created since Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it's fanbase is the largest of any currently running children's cartoon as well. Plus, the show is pushing some boundaries in it's creative and storytelling stylings. I'm far from being a big fan of the series, but it's already known and is going down as one of the most popular and notable cartoons ever created, it's made a big impact on the animation industry in the short time it's been on air, and it's at the peak of it's popularity right now. It makes sense for Doug to see what the show is all about.

If there was any V-log that I would love to see Doug do, myself, it would be the entire Dragonball franchise, so like with the Avatar: The Last Airbender V-Logs, he could do a review of Dragonball Evolution. Really, though, I would just like to see someone watch the entire trilogy beginning to end and reflect on the progress/changes of the series all the way through it. It's never gonna happen, but it'd be cool if it ever did.

Spark Of Spirit

There are a lot of choices, but I guess Adventure Time is more recent and more popular and probably more requested.

Trigun would be nice but JesuOtaku already has her Inbetweens on it and even though it's on the backburner right now, she does the series a lot of justice to a point I doubt Doug would since she did some good digging for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Ah man, those Trigun in-betweens...hasn't it been, like, three years since she last did one of those? I wish she would finish them one of these days. I want to hear her thoughts on Livio/Razlo and the differences between both the anime and manga's portrayals of Knives, Legato, Legato's death scene, Wolfwood's death scene, and the final confrontation between Knives and Vash and it's conclusion, even if it is a little biased in the anime's favor.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 03, 2013, 07:10:58 PM
Ah man, those Trigun in-betweens...hasn't it been, like, three years since she last did one of those? I wish she would finish them one of these days. I want to hear her thoughts on Livio/Razlo and the differences between both the anime and manga's portrayals of Knives, Legato, Legato's death scene, Wolfwood's death scene, and the final confrontation between Knives and Vash and it's conclusion, even if it is a little biased in the anime's favor.
Yeah, she had an update a while ago where she said what each series status was at and that was one she still wanted to do the most but admitted it takes a lot of time to do them. Also apparently not as many people watched them which was disappointing since I think they contain her best work.

I hope she is able to get back to it after the Derbys and Digimon Retrospective (which is an In-betweens in itself) are finished.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 03, 2013, 07:03:41 PM
Well, maybe he's already watched Breaking Bad, and I'd be surprised if he has not watched any or all of Whedon's shows. It doesn't make much sense to do The Wire at this point since the show is done and there are no future projects involving it, same with Spectacular Spiderman

How do those shows being done mean that Doug can't or shouldn't give his opinions on them? You don't need to review what's hip and current to have a point. Sorry, I just don't see your logic, here.

And keep in mind, it's not like Doug reviewed TLA because Korra Book 2 was coming up. He did it because he was doing a review for the movie, and he was only doing that review because so many fans wanted him to (and also wanted him to watch the show). So it's not like the show needs to still be going in order for Doug to look at it (TLA finished years before he started his V-Logs for it, BTW). If you want to talk about having a point, that's not even the point that he does these V-Logs in the first place. He does them because they get a good response from the fans, and they get a ton of views, which he makes money off of (for videos that are relatively quick and simple to make compared to his NC stuff). So, really, if anything makes sense, it's that he would review stuff that's popular among his fan base. Adventure Time happens to be one of those shows. But if fans highly request him to do an older but still massively popular series, than why shouldn't he?

While I think it's a little random to do it now, it makes a lot of sense as to why he would do V-Logs of Adventure Time. The show is easily THE most popular cartoon to have been created since Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it's fanbase is the largest of any currently running children's cartoon as well. Plus, the show is pushing some boundaries in it's creative and storytelling stylings. I'm far from being a big fan of the series, but it's already known and is going down as one of the most popular and notable cartoons ever created, it's made a big impact on the animation industry in the short time it's been on air, and it's at the peak of it's popularity right now. It makes sense for Doug to see what the show is all about.

QuoteIf there was any V-log that I would love to see Doug do, myself, it would be the entire Dragonball franchise

Doug would never do Dragon Ball for 2 reasons:

1. It's WAY too long for him, even if it is popular
2. DBZ. Is a piece of shit, and if he were to try and review it episode-by-episode, he'd have almost nothing to talk about due to the horrid pacing of that show.

Beyond that, even the manga wouldn't work since I just kind of know that it wouldn't be Doug's kind of series, in that I don't think that he personally would be able to find any appeal in it.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 03, 2013, 07:15:00 PM
Yeah, she had an update a while ago where she said what each series status was at and that was one she still wanted to do the most but admitted it takes a lot of time to do them. Also apparently not as many people watched them which was disappointing since I think they contain her best work.

Amen to that! The inbetweens are easily my favorite set of videos from her, and as a fan of both the Trigun anime and the manga I really enjoyed her comparisons and analysis of each of them. I can't believe they weren't popular....

Well, it's good that she still plans to finish it, even if it'll take a while. Honestly, these Derby videos are cool in concept, but it's taking her so long to get them out. She didn't even finish the Spring season before posting the first Summer Derby video, and with this kinda scheduling, I wish she would do regular anime reviews again (like, say, that Ranma 1/2 review that was promised back in her Fullmetal Alchemist review. Yes, JO, I remember!  :whip:).

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 03, 2013, 07:24:06 PM

How do those shows being done mean that Doug can't or shouldn't give his opinions on them? You don't need to review what's hip and current to have a point. Sorry, I just don't see your logic, here.

What I meant was, unless he had a reason for reviewing it, like fan-request, being a super-popular show that he hasn't seen yet, or for the purposes of a review, it'd be unlikely to see him do it. I don't think he needs to review something just because it's hip and current, and I didn't mean to come across that way.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 03, 2013, 07:24:06 PM
Doug would never do Dragon Ball for 2 reasons:

1. It's WAY too long for him, even if it is popular
2. DBZ. Is a piece of shit, and if he were to try and review it episode-by-episode, he'd have almost nothing to talk about due to the horrid pacing of that show.

That's why I said it would never happen, but it'd be something I would like to see if it miraculously did. I can see your point as to Doug maybe not finding much that appeals to him personally in the series (although I must say that I feel this whole DBZ is shit thing is too exaggerated, and I don't care for re-watching the series myself), and to that point, and I would rather see him review something he would either have mixed or positive things to say about when he finished it.

Avaitor

To be fair, Doug's fanbase consists mostly of manchildren who only watch live-action if it's actiony enough, so AT is a good fit.

Not to say that everyone who watches his videos is like that, but a lot of the shows I namedropped probably wouldn't appeal to his viewers as much. Although I still find it crazy that there wasn't a single reference or shot of Buffy in his What's with the Princess Hate? video, which focused a lot on ass-kicking women. That's what makes me think that he isn't versed enough in Whedonland ,and makes me curious about what his thoughts on the show or Firefly would be.

But yeah, it's also worth noting that Doug is VERY passionate about kids entertainment, so I understand his approach and interest in AT.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Okay, I'm kinda happy he's doing Adventure Time V-Logs right now. His bewilderment and confusion is just hilarious: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/40819-adventure-time-vlogs-slumber-party-panic

Peanutbutter

Holy crap, that was hysterical!  ;D That may have been his funniest video all year, as himself or the Critic. And I say that as someone who's adored most of his stuff since bringing the Critic back. Good grief, I can't count how many times I cackled. Yeah, it's going to be ton of fun watching him attempt to review Adventure Time. I cannot wait to see what he says about Tree Trunks, forget any other episode.

Nel_Annette

The second one's up. He doesn't seem to like it. Dude needs to quit trying to make sense of things and just go with the flow.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 05, 2013, 10:36:38 PM
The second one's up. He doesn't seem to like it. Dude needs to quit trying to make sense of things and just go with the flow.

??? He said straight out he does like it, and finds it funny, but he doesn't know how to describe it, or figure out what to say about it's good or bad qualities, and that's putting him in an uncomfortable spot as a reviewer. He wants to figure out what makes the show work and what makes it popular, and he's having trouble with that because it's a spontaneous, unpredictable, and off-the-wall show he's not used to seeing.

Silverstar

Doug's a better man than I. I sat through a whole season or so of Adventure Time before I finally threw my hands up and gave up on it. The show's just not for me, and I'm fine with that.

Someone on TZ said that in order to get AT, one has to stop thinking of it as a silly cartoon, and more as an adaptation of Jack Vance's The Dying Earth. Is it wrong that I'd prefer a silly cartoon to something arty and dramatic?
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.