Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on October 22, 2013, 05:03:01 PM
Well here's their full list:

1- The Room (ughhhhhhhhhhh)
2- Les Miserables
3- Moulin Rouge!
4- The Last Airbender
5- It
6- Alone in the Dark
7- Patch Adams
8- Signs
9- Cat in the Hat

Apparently #9 is Doug's new personal favorite. I do really like that one myself.

And what exactly is wrong with The Room's review? That's one of his top ones. A number of this list are actual good choices, if anything that says something better about his Tumblr fans than the ones on his comment pages that love anything and everything from him.

Avaitor

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 22, 2013, 06:03:08 PM

2- Les Miserables
3- Moulin Rouge!
4- The Last Airbender
5- It
6- Alone in the Dark
7- Patch Adams
8- Signs
9- Cat in the Hat

Apparently #9 is Doug's new personal favorite. I do really like that one myself.

And what exactly is wrong with The Room's review? That's one of his top ones. A number of this list are actual good choices, if anything that says something better about his Tumblr fans than the ones on his comment pages that love anything and everything from him.
-Terrible cameo appearances
-Weak jokes at the expense of a movie that doesn't need to be mocked
-Lame overlapping opening and closing segments

Granted, there are some great gags in the review, but I'll never understand why fans like this one so much.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Out of the entries on that list, his reviews of It and Patch Adams would make my top 10 as well. The Cat in the Hat and The Last Airbender reviews were also great, but they aren't really personal favorites of mine (well, as far as his TLA review goes, it's still far too recent for me to decide that).

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on October 22, 2013, 06:09:55 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 22, 2013, 06:03:08 PM

2- Les Miserables
3- Moulin Rouge!
4- The Last Airbender
5- It
6- Alone in the Dark
7- Patch Adams
8- Signs
9- Cat in the Hat

-Terrible cameo appearances
-Weak jokes at the expense of a movie that doesn't need to be mocked
-Lame overlapping opening and closing segments

Granted, there are some great gags in the review, but I'll never understand why fans like this one so much.

-Only Obscures Lupa was terrible, since she can't emote her way out of a paper bag.
-90% of the jokes were hilarious, not weak. They must have hit some marks considering its one of the well-acclaimed reviews. That, plus the fact that The Room was so easy to mock that it was begging to get reviewed by him is why fans loved it.
-This one doesn't matter to me. It didn't grate on me, but they were unnecessary.

talonmalon333

I haven't seen The Room, but from what I hear, it sounds like it could be one of those movies that Doug simply cannot do justice. Is this true, Avaitor?

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 22, 2013, 08:41:03 PM
I haven't seen The Room, but from what I hear, it sounds like it could be one of those movies that Doug simply cannot do justice. Is this true, Avaitor?
I think so, but hey, remember, it's only my opinion here. If you don't agree, that's fine. If I come off as an ass, I'm sorry.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on October 22, 2013, 02:57:52 PMA Nostalgia Critic-related blog I follow on tumblr polled its users to figure out what their follower's favorite NC videos were, and #2 was his Les Mis video.

Tells you what kind of people are on tumblr.
Yikes. That is extremely yike-worthy. I don't know if I mentioned just how bad I thought that video was...but, pretty damn bad.

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 22, 2013, 08:24:04 PM- Only Obscuras Lupa was terrible, since she can't emote her way out of a paper bag.
But, of course, comedy doesn't always rely on the same brand of emoting that hurts dramas, thrillers, more realism-based genres if done improperly.

So long as No One Ever Calls Her Unfunny, it will all be okay. Like: step away from the crazy person, he's got a knife- you do not want to call her unfunny in front of me. (No one on that site has made me laugh half as hard. During her discussion of the "let's make pizza" scene in Robot in the Family, I thought I was going to run out of air to breathe I laughed so hard. The Subspecies reviews are also pure internet comedy gold.)

By the way, Kyle's newest video is pretty awesome. It's a shortie for him (8 minutes) but it looks to be a new side series developing. Hopefully.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Doug should play the Paper Mario games.

Well, if he hasn't at least. I get what he's going for here. This is more of a PSA than a regular editorial, which is fine in my book.

New blog!

No-Personality

I'm not going to bother with any links, I'm really lazy today. Just wanted to say I watched Bennet the Sage's multi-hour series on the Top 20 Best and Worst #1 Songs ever and... I still can't stand Sage but I always like to give him a chance and there's certainly one thing he did right, but it was also one thing I wasn't expecting: on his worst list, Ray Stevens is there. And not because "Everything is Beautiful" (which I believe was his choice) is just an annoying, weepy, cloying, or sickly sugary abomination but because Stevens actually made a flat-out racist song in the last 5 or so years (it wasn't even a parody, it was profoundly disgusting) which renders the sentiment in EiB hypocritical.

So, I'm not recommending more than 5 minutes listening to Sage but I do want to commend him for kicking Stevens' ass as well as I think he did. Without coming off angry or bitter.
and I love it.

Avaitor

COMMERCIALS!

AND EMILIA CLARKE IS MINE

New blog!

talonmalon333

Wow, what a cameo at the end of that commercial review!

Also, can't wait to see him destroy Man of Steel. :sly:

Avaitor

New blog!

No-Personality

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-smooth-criminal-by-alien-ant-farm-6689830

If you were in high school anywhere between the years of 1997 and 2003, you simply Must Watch This. Todd reviews the spunky nu-metal band with a sense of humor and realizes he can't talk about them without talking about the horrendously awful nu-metal subgenre.
and I love it.

Commode

The song is eh, especially since it's really the only song they are known for, but I actually quite like the rest of the album.  Songs like "Movies" and "Wish" are great songs.

And I was in middle school when this came out, though in like 8th grade.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

No-Personality

I half-agree with both of you. I don't think it's awesome as Todd does but it's better than ehhhh. "Movies" isn't great but I disagree with Todd who found it lousy. I think it's okay.

Meanwhile, nu-metal freaking sucks. At least that was fairly reflected in Todd's video. I would have liked to have seen more time devoted to crushing Staind- as they were literally treated like sacred cows where I grew up by several people. You have no idea how many times I was around drunken or high AWB's (angry white boys) at that time who played that shit like it was fucking torch music. Soulful ballads of My Vomit.
and I love it.