Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

I liked Papa Roach and Korn back in the day, and I'll admit I do listen to it sometimes for nostalgic purposes, but that's really as far as my fandom(if you can call it that) into nu-metal really got.  I always hated Staind and Creed and Limp Bizkit and Godsmack and Slipknot and Linkin Park and so on. Terrible, terrible music.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

The closest thing to nu that I like is SOAD, and they don't really qualify at all.

I love this video though, and I've always had a soft spot for that song. I don't really know anything else they did, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

When he goes through the montage of their songs and ends it with "This all sounds the same, and it sucks.", all I could think was "I thought all of those sounded good."v :lol:

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on November 18, 2013, 08:42:57 PMThe closest thing to nu that I like is SOAD, and they don't really qualify at all.

I love this video though, and I've always had a soft spot for that song. I don't really know anything else they did, though.
In general, I give a few things from the genre/subgenre a pass. Kind of as "well, the rest just sucks So Much More that this isn't That bad, so: let it be." System is one. Mostly it comes down to individual songs (links are there for each, in case the titles are too vague): "The Reckoning" (on 2nd thought, this probably belongs in the Gravity Kills / Stabbing Westward / Rob Zombie subgenre) (oh and... I ADORE THIS SONG), "Voodoo" (which I actually...like), "Push It," "When Worlds Collide," "Suburban Life," "Dig" (I know, I know - but it's too ridiculous to take seriously), Alien Ant Farm's typical "Smooth Criminal" cover but let me just say "Movies" is absolutely Atypical for nu-metal, it's actually closer to Blink 182 than Disturbed, Sevendust, etc(.), and, of course, "Bodies," probably the funniest a nu-metal song could ever be- even in theory. Also, I'm not saying I like it, but I actually put a track by The Deftones in my original Top 500 Best Singles of the 1990's ("Shove It (My Own Summer)"). Don't know why but that I'll always argue this song is actually good. Oh, and... Puddle of Mudd... I hear what Todd's saying but I'm actually only familiar with a couple of their extremely grunge-wannabe stuff like "She Hates Me" which doesn't nearly have the same loser attitude of whiny crap like "Broken Home," "You Remind Me," and every single track by Staind. It's practically bubbly. And kind of guilty pleasure proof.

Also have to bring up another group that I think skirts the line between actual full bodied rock and the KoRny sound- Jimmie's Chicken Shack who've actually been in my good graces ever since this STELLAR bit of late 90's teen "rock": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jb9F-pScq8 . I don't actually like Incubus, but it's pretty clear that Incubus and "Dropping Anchor" are what nu-metal is supposed to be.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Oh, I do like "Bodies". Probably more out of novelty than personal enjoyment, but I wouldn't turn it away if I had the local rock station on, like I would for Disturbed or Slipknot.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

New blog!

No-Personality

Well, as you probably gleaned from my reply on Miley's new album- I thought his opinions on "We Can't Stop" were ill-informed if not condescending. So... I'll give him half-credit for this review: agreed on the video (that thing is ridiculous, Betty White and Sinead O'Connor have much cause for commentary there- and, by the way, I wrote this before I downloaded Todd's video and I absolutely did not notice the similarity of the opening shot to "Nothing Compares 2 U"), disagreed on the song. Especially that there's much connection to "Somebody That I Used to Know." And I think it's actually fairly good. As standard pop, it stands out as much as anything with this tone is going to. Of course, I think she has better material on the album. Especially "#getitright." But that almost seems like a Gwen Stefani track, very fun and decent natured. Not the mode Miley is in. I won't be surprised if her next single is the Britney Spears guest'ed "SMS (Bangerz)."

And, Todd... you're still wrong about "Where Have You Been." It's still great. At least he agrees with me on Demi Lovato. (Boring.) (Sorry, Avaitor.)

Oh yeah... my "My Follows" section on Blip just SWELLED UP to balloon size... Lupa's new Charmed review is up. 8-parts long. Something tells me this is going to be a bloodbath. (She's positive with most of the things she discusses. Charmed is another matter entirely- and I'll be damned if 5 of the last 6 reviews haven't been classic.)
and I love it.

Avaitor

Eh, Demi's latest singles haven't been that great, but she can blow anyone on the charts away vocally, including Ariana Grande, who Todd seems to stan now.

New blog!

Silverstar

I agree with Todd, right now Miley Cyrus looks like Justin Bieber with Photoshopped boobs.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daxdiv

She looks like one of them stereotyped lesbians to me.

But I did get a laugh out of Todd's pointing out his misheard lyrics in Wrecking Ball, if only because they were close to what I heard on a casual hearing of the song.

No-Personality

Well, if Miley can change and become interesting- there's hope for Demi yet.   :P

If there's one thing Todd did a great job with, it was putting this song in context: I think he's right that this year has been abysmal for pop. But even if there was a lot he forgot to mention, any of it good (Rihanna's "What Now" is the best song I've heard this year... and the album is now a year-old, this is unheard of for her- she hasn't released a single or video for a 12-month old album in her 8 year career), he just piled up all the right references for his clipshow.

But, good news, Lily Allen's back. And she seems pissed off again (I wouldn't have it any other way): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0CazRHB0so You'll note in this video, she looks over at a screen of what could easily be half of Miley's entourage and doesn't find them judging her. Isn't that strange?
and I love it.

Commode

Quote from: No-Personality on November 23, 2013, 05:09:30 AM
Well, if Miley can change and become interesting- there's hope for Demi yet.   :P
Ooohh,

Commode

And "We Can't Stop" is awful.  Just a shallow pop song in which she tries to define herself by being a "rebel"(this also ties into her persona the last several months, and the stunts at both VMA shows).  Way to go, too bad so many before you have done it.  At least in "Wrecking Ball" she's actually trying musically to make a decent song, even if I still don't like it.

As an aside, I don't really get her new persona, it certainly doesn't make her attractive in anyway.  She looks great in the video for "Party in the USA"*.
The short hair doesn't do much, and parading around sticking her tongue out doesn't help either.

*Yes, I realize I'm riding a fine line here, no Old Guy comments please.

Avaitor

I have to agree, this was not a good year for pop either. As hard as I try, I can't get into new Miley, even if it's in a different way from how I can't get into old Miley, while

-Everything I've heard from Lady Gaga is ungodly dull (with THIS ALBUM, mind you. I too like a lot of her previous stuff, even if I'm no Monster)
-Katy Perry's still Katy Perry- terrible vocal performances and lyrics saved by strong production, but not nearly enough to justify her continuing overwhelming popularity
-Selena Gomez exists and makes Miley and Demi look like Zappa and Patton
-This 70's revival thing peaked early and anything in this vein since JT came back sounds boring as fuck, and that includes both "Blurred Lines" and "Get Lucky"
-That Lorde chick who for the longest time I thought was supposed to be those GWAR knock-offs who won Eurovision, but apparently not, she just made a boring song that's all over the radio
-And Macklemore, who in hindsight, has shit flow and dull as dishwater songwriting skills. Yes, he made a powerful statement with "Same Love", but it's still the most boring song on the face of the earth.

I still like Demi and Eminem's new albums (the best songs on hers probably won't make it as singles- she seems really against making a slow song a single again for whatever reason), but the only other song I can think of that I liked this year was "Treasure".

Still better than what's been up with the rock charts though. One great song hits the radio ("God is Dead?") and shortly gets a weak edit, then later is overshadowed by new A7X and whatever else is popular now. Not to mention that my local rock station has lately had a passion for playing Load-era Metallica on there a LOT.

New blog!

Commode

I do like the Lorde song, but everything else I agree with.  I actually kind of liked Lady Gaga's past music, but the new stuff out now is pretty bad.  There's a new song that's just coming on the radio that sounds decent in the beginning, but it gets worse as the song goes on, especially after R-Kelly comes in.

Katy Perry is probably the most boring mass pop star ever to exist.  None of her songs are anything special or provocative(even I Kissed A Girl isn't that big of a deal when you look back on it), very few of them are in anyway catchy, and I don't really see anything that would make people listen to them, much less spend money on the album. 

And I don't know about anything new in the modern rock world, haven't been keeping up on it.  But I guess new A7X is always gonna be the same A7X.