Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I thought it was quite hilarious.  I was especially laughing hard at the phone call with Adam Sandler sequence, so much so that I rewatched it...and still laughed through it! Honestly the hardest I've laughed at a NC in a long while.

No-Personality

Quote from: Peanutbutter on December 10, 2013, 07:25:26 PMNever saw Eight Crazy Nights, but I don't have to in order to know it wasn't "Garbage Pail Kids BAD!" as Rob put it.
Compared to Adam Sandler's worst, which 8CN certainly is among, I think Garbage Pail Kids gets a bad rap. It's nonsensical and grotesque but...I've seen a lot worse. Hell, there are lines of bad taste that I think that movie didn't cross- the scenes of the angry parents berating their innocent children after Howie Mandel & Fred Savage's prank spree in Little Monsters (aka- the kids' movie rendition of Street Trash, and I mean that in terms of tone mainly), for example. That went about as far over the line as any kids movie I've ever seen; some of those children looked genuinely terrified- which is bad enough for an audience to sit through.

Yet, I would say 8CN is probably the worst thing by that time sold to a mainstream audience.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Commode

Oh man, I hated 8 Crazy Nights.  I remember when it came out and it was being compared to Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.  Which is such a bullshit comparison because it's nowhere near the level of BLU.  You can only take so much of Sandler making fun of some handicapped old man who doesn't shave and his wife(sister? Whatever she was?) before the movie ends up in the trash heap.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Peanutbutter

The jokes with the Happy Madison crowd were dull, and hypocritically used the same poop jokes the Critic mocked. I would not call Eight Crazy Nights among his worst. Not in the slightest. A lot of people out there on the web don't consider it to be either from what I can tell.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't actually hate Adam Sandler (I even admit to genuinely liking some of his movies; the key word being "some"), but yeah, I never bothered with 8CN because I kind of knew it would be shit just from the trailers.

Something about the Happy Madison crowd jokes kind of rubbed me the wrong way, though. I'm totally behind poking fun at the fan base of something (I've certainly done it before), but the NC'sjokes almost seemed too exaggerated in this one, and killing them with a grenade wasn't exactly my idea of funny. I mean, really, Doug?

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 11, 2013, 09:15:03 AM
I don't actually hate Adam Sandler (I even admit to genuinely liking some of his movies; the key word being "some"), but yeah, I never bothered with 8CN because I kind of knew it would be shit just from the trailers.

Something about the Happy Madison crowd jokes kind of rubbed me the wrong way, though. I'm totally behind poking fun at the fan base of something (I've certainly done it before), but the NC'sjokes almost seemed too exaggerated in this one, and killing them with a grenade wasn't exactly my idea of funny. I mean, really, Doug?

Yeah, that wasn't necessary at all. I blame Rob for writing that.

Anyway, I too am a big fan of Sandler, but I'll freely admit his last few comedies have sucked. Really hope he charges his batteries with a Funny People role again.

Avaitor

From my side, it always rubbed me the wrong way that one of the few films out there to heavily involve Hanukkah was as lame as this. Sandler may have done worse, but I'm definitely against this film's existence.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

After re-listening to just 10 episodes of the 2011 Disneycember, I think I can easily say 2013 is vastly superior. I actually want to see Freaky Friday the remake now.

His Mary Poppins review is exactly what his editorials should be.
and I love it.

talonmalon333

As someone who's not a big fan of his Disneycember videos, I do think his Mary Poppins one was good. You can tell it's a movie that he's really passionate about, and that extended into the video.

Avaitor

I'm still behind on his Disneycember videos, but the Freaky Friday remake is actually pretty good. The original isn't one of my favorites (unlike the Parent Trap, where I think he's underselling the original a little), but even if it was, the newer one didn't do anything to disservice it, but rather added some stronger gags.

And this isn't nostalgia talking from me. I didn't see the remake until a year or two ago,and I was like 12 when it came out anyway, so this isn't one I grew up with fondly.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Agreed on Parent Trap. I might not love the film myself if it weren't such an inseparable part of my nostalgia. Though I also think it's beautifully atmospheric and so massively shot- the worlds in Disney films often look huge, animated or not.

As for the 90's ability to produce nostalgia... I think Hollywood killed that in '99 with shit like Gone in 60 Seconds (which is such a would-be Michael Bay, it's transparent) and Disney killed it with... well, Lindsay Lohan. I'm thinking Life Size, personally. How can people be nostalgic for big budget Hollywood stuff when it literally begins to smell like pure research screening and manipulative pandering? It's like eating KFC while standing in the factory watching the workers abuse the hell out of the animals. To me. Which is why I rage so hard sometimes against trends in Hollywood. To say the least, it lacks any chance of personal artistic touches. And feels like corporate fat-asses tea-bagging me right in the face. (Without my permission.)

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 12, 2013, 12:29:34 PMAs someone who's not a big fan of his Disneycember videos, I do think his Mary Poppins one was good. You can tell it's a movie that he's really passionate about, and that extended into the video.
In this case, he gave the video more than passion- he wrote it well. The passion helps but... he could have sold that movie to a blind person. Or a deaf person. Or someone who adamantly hates Disney. He probably covered every base. If he didn't, he made sure to cover the ones he did cover so thoroughly and just so well. Maybe he didn't even write it. It felt like he was vlogging but from the viewpoint of someone who knows the movie like the back of his hand, like it all just rolled right off his tongue. Well, that it did anyway.

My major issue with the 2011 cycle was that the animated films - while they definitely inspire a ridiculous amount of divergent feelings - are not quite the "kinda, sorta" types of movies. Not most of them. A person can form far more concrete opinions, he spent a lot of time verbally stumbling- seemingly because he didn't want to irritate anyone. At least, I hope he was trying to please everyone. I'd hate to think he has this much trouble making up his mind.
and I love it.

Avaitor

I actually watched The Parent Trap again a few nights ago, and despite it being a basic kids movie overall, I still find some layers in it which make it worth rediscovery. David Swift had a great love for melding facial expressions, and got plenty of emotion out of his cast by commanding a plethora of perfect shots out of them- in combination of the actors and their muscles, sharp lighting, appropriate headroom, etc. The supporting characters are also unanimously filled with life. The reverend just cracks me up each time I watch the movie, and I'll probably forget everything about a Godard movie before I forget Miss Inch's mannerisms.

As for the 2011 Disneycember videos, one thing I definitely remember is being annoyed with how much time Doug spent on synopsises for each movie. Some of the lesser films may need a little explanation of the plot, sure, but does he really think that there are people who will watch these videos that don't know the basic idea behind Snow White or The Lion King? he could have dedicated the time to more analysis, but nope.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm catching up with Disneycember now.

I take it Doug isn't a Laurel & Hardy fan.

New blog!

No-Personality

Watched the Man of Steel review finally. It was full of rehashed material but, it wasn't exactly bad. Not to the tune of some of the nasty comments I've heard slung Doug's way (including from Phil Buni of The Bunny Perspective- who has had his own Spoony-ish Twitter meltdown recently, being outright fired from Lindsay's Chez Apocalypse and going on similar mini-rampages against TGwtG). The real problem with almost any review is taking a "middle road" on a film that so clearly is crap. And, 40 minutes for that? Cracks from the start. But, Doug's arguments were great. I've never watched an Angry Joe "review" (just his SOPA vlogs) and this is the reason why.
and I love it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The review itself wasn't taking a middle of the road stance. Doug clearly hated the movie. It's just that Angry Joe got to defend it a little bit.

As for me, I still have yet to see MOS, but I didn't mind watching the review for spoilers since I doubt it'll effect my opinion of the movie when I finally do watch it.