Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Considering Joe's recent incredibly childish on-camera tantrum concerning the YouTube copyright crackdown, I've been considering just to stop watching him lately. Granted, he had every right to be mad, and the way YouTube has been handling this thing has been awful, but that was one of the most unprofessional ways to handle that ever.

Daikun

I tend to enjoy AT4W, but the latest episode may be the worst I've seen on his show. Having to listen to such forced, awkward rhyming for 20 minutes... :whuh: This was the first episode that I couldn't finish.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Nel_Annette on December 16, 2013, 10:13:56 PM
Considering Joe's recent incredibly childish on-camera tantrum concerning the YouTube copyright crackdown, I've been considering just to stop watching him lately. Granted, he had every right to be mad, and the way YouTube has been handling this thing has been awful, but that was one of the most unprofessional ways to handle that ever.

It's a big chunk of his income for what he does as a living. I don't watch him, but why shouldn't he be angry? And how is it unprofessional?

At any rate, he did another video about it too, and it was much more calm. But again, considering Google's laziness and the damage it could possibly cause (and not just on gamers, there's a game developer who's promtional video was affected by this), I think he had every right to be as angry as he was.

Nel_Annette

I said he has every right to be angry. But screaming the same thing over and over for 20 minutes almost to the point of tears isn't how you handle it. The calm video should have been the only one.

Goldstar

Does anyone know what's been happening with Lindsay Ellis and Team NChick? None of them have released a review or anything in a couple of months. I know that Elisa Hansen married Paw Duggan (sp?) a little while ago, and they both did commentary over Paw's Music Movies review of Disney's Fantasia, but I heard anything about them since. I hope that nothing bad has happened.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

Quote from: Daikun on December 17, 2013, 12:25:56 AM
I tend to enjoy AT4W, but the latest episode may be the worst I've seen on his show. Having to listen to such forced, awkward rhyming for 20 minutes... :whuh: This was the first episode that I couldn't finish.

Yeah, the comic was wonderfully weird, but I was really hoping Linkara wasn't going to try to do the whole review in rhyme. I understand it was for the holidays, but it was too gimmicky and made the whole thing hard to sit through.   :unimpressed:
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Insomniac

So who wants to make a count of TGWTG members that didn't become assholes this year?

No-Personality

Speaking of Linkara... That Alpha's Magical Christmas review was not fun. I rewatched that just because it's practically Christmas. It's the first Lupa Christmas review which wasn't a homerun. Crossovers are nearly always a disaster.

Speaking of Lupa, she's sure picked up the slack recently! 2 Witchcraft reviews in nearly a week. Both good too.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 17, 2013, 02:19:50 PMSo who wants to make a count of TGWTG members that didn't become assholes this year?
How do you mean? What could possibly have happened to involve a large number of them at one time?

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 16, 2013, 05:17:23 PMThe review itself wasn't taking a middle of the road stance. Doug clearly hated the movie. It's just that Angry Joe got to defend it a little bit.
I disagree- he completely copped out in the end. And, except for congratulating the "awesomeness" of the destruction scenes, Joe didn't have any good or interesting points to defend the movie. I would have not bothered to watch the review at all if it weren't for one thing... Foldable Human (part of Lindsay's Chez Apocalypse) has an interpretation of the film as some kind of subversion of jingoistic themes rather than a celebration of them. I watched his video and... he spent most of it reeling on other superhero movies. Just about every single one. Including The Avengers, which most people seem to like. To say the least, I don't yet see his point and would like to see someone actually confront the fact that the film seems to be a braindead "America, Fuck Yeah!" on the surface, not to mention the Jesus themes (which is why I congratulated Doug).

Quote from: Goldstar on December 17, 2013, 11:49:17 AMDoes anyone know what's been happening with Lindsay Ellis and Team NChick? None of them have released a review or anything in a couple of months. I know that Elisa Hansen married Paw Duggan (sp?) a little while ago, and they both did commentary over Paw's Music Movies review of Disney's Fantasia, but I heard anything about them since. I hope that nothing bad has happened.
I'm assuming Lindsay's ready to call it quits on Nostalgia Chick completely. This is about the 3rd or possibly even 4th hiatus this year. I say possibly 4 because she hasn't done any videos on 50 Shades of Green either. 2 full breaks, independent of one another, then 5SoG dropped off, then she came back with 2 videos, disappeared for yet another month and a half, then 1 video and 2 months of silence. Again. I've read up on her Twitter and she keeps talking about Mtv. As in: she's there. In their building. I'm thinking she's getting a job somewhere.

Elisa is a mystery. She said she had plans for the channel. During her commentary for Interview with the Vampire. I'm guessing the marriage is going to shake up her schedule while she / they make relocation plans. I give her the benefit of a doubt over Lindsay because I know Elisa has a real passion for what she's doing. Time will tell.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

How exactly is the NC saying that he still thinks MOS is "terrible" at the end of the video a cop-out or taking the middle of the road?

Goldstar

I thought that Lupa and Linkara's Alpha's Magical Christmas review was pretty funny, myself. I never knew that this "special" even existed until I saw the review last year. Who thought that Alpha and a bunch of kids hanging out in the Command Center while singing Xmas carols with obviously dubbed singing voices for half an hour was a good idea? Made even cheesier by the excuse that the Power Rangers were off "helping Santa". ("That's mighty morphin bull poo! They just didn't want to pay the actors for another day of shooting!")
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Peanutbutter

Quote from: No-Personality on December 17, 2013, 09:36:38 PM
Speaking of Linkara... That Alpha's Magical Christmas review was not fun. I rewatched that just because it's practically Christmas. It's the first Lupa Christmas review which wasn't a homerun. Crossovers are nearly always a disaster.

Speaking of Lupa, she's sure picked up the slack recently! 2 Witchcraft reviews in nearly a week. Both good too.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 17, 2013, 02:19:50 PMSo who wants to make a count of TGWTG members that didn't become assholes this year?
How do you mean? What could possibly have happened to involve a large number of them at one time?

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 16, 2013, 05:17:23 PMThe review itself wasn't taking a middle of the road stance. Doug clearly hated the movie. It's just that Angry Joe got to defend it a little bit.
I disagree- he completely copped out in the end. And, except for congratulating the "awesomeness" of the destruction scenes, Joe didn't have any good or interesting points to defend the movie. I would have not bothered to watch the review at all if it weren't for one thing... Foldable Human (part of Lindsay's Chez Apocalypse) has an interpretation of the film as some kind of subversion of jingoistic themes rather than a celebration of them. I watched his video and... he spent most of it reeling on other superhero movies. Just about every single one. Including The Avengers, which most people seem to like. To say the least, I don't yet see his point and would like to see someone actually confront the fact that the film seems to be a braindead "America, Fuck Yeah!" on the surface, not to mention the Jesus themes (which is why I congratulated Doug).

Quote from: Goldstar on December 17, 2013, 11:49:17 AMDoes anyone know what's been happening with Lindsay Ellis and Team NChick? None of them have released a review or anything in a couple of months. I know that Elisa Hansen married Paw Duggan (sp?) a little while ago, and they both did commentary over Paw's Music Movies review of Disney's Fantasia, but I heard anything about them since. I hope that nothing bad has happened.
I'm assuming Lindsay's ready to call it quits on Nostalgia Chick completely. This is about the 3rd or possibly even 4th hiatus this year. I say possibly 4 because she hasn't done any videos on 50 Shades of Green either. 2 full breaks, independent of one another, then 5SoG dropped off, then she came back with 2 videos, disappeared for yet another month and a half, then 1 video and 2 months of silence. Again. I've read up on her Twitter and she keeps talking about Mtv. As in: she's there. In their building. I'm thinking she's getting a job somewhere.

Elisa is a mystery. She said she had plans for the channel. During her commentary for Interview with the Vampire. I'm guessing the marriage is going to shake up her schedule while she / they make relocation plans. I give her the benefit of a doubt over Lindsay because I know Elisa has a real passion for what she's doing. Time will tell.

....So basically, because the Critic said he understood Joe's POV, as well as the people who loved the movie; it's a cop-out? Because YOU think it was terrible and no leeway should be given whatsoever? If that is how you really think, don't even bother replying to this post.

talonmalon333

As someone who saw Man of Steel and also hates it, I feel like, in the end, the Nostalgia Critic was just attempting to see the other side while sticking to his belief that the movie is terrible. There's nothing wrong with that. I too can accept people liking Man of Steel for their own reasons.

No-Personality

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 17, 2013, 10:14:25 PMHow exactly is the NC saying that he still thinks MOS is "terrible" at the end of the video a cop-out or taking the middle of the road?
I said what he did at the end of the video was a cop-out. By ending on a Far Longer "but I understand where you're coming from" bit, saving it for last, putting more of that "I'm Honest Doug" performance into it, and - again - there was nothing there to substantiate. Joe's points were crap. So, there was no reason to end on nearly 3 minutes of "for you, this is what this is." For him, DUH! That's the note he wanted to end on, so that's what the video was. It is a cop out. It's absolutely the worst kind of pandering. It's what someone does when he doesn't care if people were even listening to him in the first place. Trying to satisfy the status quo because he didn't care.

Quote from: Peanutbutter on December 17, 2013, 10:44:17 PM....So basically, because the Critic said he understood Joe's POV, as well as the people who loved the movie; it's a cop-out? Because YOU think it was terrible and no leeway should be given whatsoever?
I'll listen to any defenses of the film with substance in them. Joe had nothing more than regurgitated "let's like anything that goes BOOM! and CRASH! Aren't explosions and fight scenes neat?!" Yes they are, but not when the movie in question is insulting the audience and reducing filmmaking to a level of depth comparable to a teardrop on a hardwood floor. Foldable Human / Folding Ideas was definitely right that superhero movies have sucked for a LONG time now (at least since Michael Bay rose to prominence). But I say Man of Steel is proof that now they practically have an agenda. Just look at how many conservatives rushed to defend this pos before it was even released to audiences, when the critics were having their go at it.

Besides, this is Zack Snyder we're talking about. The guy who ripped all the socio-political meaning out of Dawn of the Dead, removed the terror, the heart, the thought-provoking look at American consumerism, and turned it into a brainless action thriller with lightning fast "zombies." And then there's Sucker Punch. For using Bjork in that film, the man is lucky he didn't get a hit taken out on him. BY ME!!

Quote from: Goldstar on December 17, 2013, 10:39:20 PMI thought that Lupa and Linkara's Alpha's Magical Christmas review was pretty funny, myself. I never knew that this "special" even existed until I saw the review last year. Who thought that Alpha and a bunch of kids hanging out in the Command Center while singing Xmas carols with obviously dubbed singing voices for half an hour was a good idea? Made even cheesier by the excuse that the Power Rangers were off "helping Santa". ("That's mighty morphin bull poo! They just didn't want to pay the actors for another day of shooting!")
Some of the lines were funny. But the energy was practically non-existent and the performances were over 90% ham. And not the good kind, like Linkara as - what was it - Sassy Grandma (or whatever) in Phelous & Lupa's abominable crossover for The Time Machine I Found at a Yard Sale (or whatever that "movie" was called).

As I said, crossovers usually suck. Incredibly hard. The few that really worked (if my memory serves) were Lupa and Cinema Snob on Sherlock Holmes, Nostalgia Chick & Oancitizen on Freddy Got Fingered (the golden standard of crossovers), Nostalgia Critic / Chick / Brental Floss on Moulin Rouge (the golden standard of Nostalgia Critic videos), Critic / Chick on Ferngully... and, I've yet to rewatch them, but I seem to remember Jesu Otaku and FilmBrain's crossover on Sucker Punch fondly. And Oancitizen & Jesu Otaku on... whatever they reviewed. And Rap Critic did a couple which I saw but I don't remember them very well.
and I love it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's because Doug is sensible enough to know that, realistically, he can't change that many people's opinions no matter what stance he takes. People are a stubborn bunch in that way. People who aren't quite so sensitive to hearing out an opposing opinion (which is tragically a rarity to see) will listen to Doug's points and possibly find enough merit to them to change their minds to some degree, and those people would do so REGARDLESS of what Doug said at the end. If Doug just ended on a note saying that MOS is terrible and anyone who likes it is an idiot who should feel bad about themselves, not only would it be in extremely bad taste, but it would in fact not help in any possible way to get his point across. It would, however, more than likely get him a ton of nasty hate-mail from angry fanboys.

No-Personality

Yet, it still really does nothing for the fans of the film. Not only were Joe's points all superficial, but his jokes, attitude, everything was a rehash of The Fanboy Reviewer Formula.

Meanwhile, I want to make sure that the note I end on here is: Doug really was nailing the film before that "oh well, who cares" ending. (Too bad the whole thing wasn't boiled down to about 4 minutes rather than 40- because...it could have been.)
and I love it.