Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 12, 2014, 09:24:41 PM
And doesn't help she's dating the Phil Fish of the anime industry.

Don't forget she actually writes for the same website as her BF. Even then... I still can't agree with her views. I haven't even seen Wolf Children yet, but there's something about her review that feels a little.... off.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really do like most of JOs earlier stuff, when she did actual reviews, but I can't stand anything that she has done from the past couple of years. Her Anime Derbie videos don't interest me in the slightest, and in general she has completely moved away from the things that made her videos appealing in the first place.

Also, Wolf Children is an excellent film. To call it Hosoda's weakest movie is rather ridiculous, especially considering that his original films are, IMO, miles ahead of the franchise films that he did (Digimon and One Piece), what with not having nearly as many constraints as he did with making those movies and having to adhere somewhat to established series canons.

No-Personality

Quote from: Comeau on January 12, 2014, 05:27:28 PMman, what is with the country this last year or so?  Every one of those songs in that portion of that video I have heard multiple times, and every one is a contender for the worst lyrics ever written.
I'm hardwired to say it's a conservative, assholian, kneejerk reaction to Obama's 2nd term, gay marriage spreading through at least an extra 8 or so states from 2012, and yet another year of controversy over potential future marijuana legalization, affordable health care, and at least one anti-contraception bill.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 12, 2014, 08:31:53 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 12, 2014, 08:30:34 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 12, 2014, 07:26:11 PMI watch very few things on TGWTG. That should explain why I haven't watched this video yet. :P
You really should change this.
What series' do you like on the site?
I know you weren't talking to me, but, 2 words: Diamanda. Hagan. She mainly reviews exploitation movies, a lot like Cinema Snob, but unlike him- she's basically completely honest and no bullshit about her opinions. Even though they're still filtered through expertly written jokes. As well as an extraordinary wealth of background international world history. She's the perfect combo of Cinema Snob and Oancitizen. With one slight flaw- her topics for review can be flat-out impossible to watch the actual clips of. And I'm not merely talking about the ultra-violent movies like Ilsa, She Wolf of the S.S. She reviewed a trilogy of shot-on-video rape-themed movies and before Blip actually took one of them down, I saw them all and it was damn near impossible to finish them because you do wonder why anyone would ever want to review them. But, she's back to top form- reviewing stuff you can actually sit through.

I love Phelous too, but I mostly only watch his horror reviews because he never picks a really good movie. The only time I genuinely disagreed with him was on Jack Frost (yes, this Jack Frost). Which I do like. And, to a lesser degree, the 1980 version of The Boogeyman (he had a loooong stretch of those reviews).
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Peanutbutter

I loved Todd's video. Aside from some of the runners-up, I don't agree with 8 or 4 but I can understand why he picked them. I like Fall Out Boy and "Light Em Up", but the "My Songs" part is silly and dumb. Other than that it isn't bad. It's a great upbeat rock song.

As for JO, I only watched a handful of her stuff. I liked her Retrospective on Digimon which she sadly hasn't finished as far I know. Have no idea what stuff specifically on Twitter she's done. I know she's with Nash, so who is Phil Fish and why the comparison?

Daikun

Quote from: Peanutbutter on January 13, 2014, 07:17:42 AMI know she's with Nash, so who is Phil Fish and why the comparison?

Phil Fish is a former game developer with a huge ego. He created Fez and made some controversial comments about Japanese video games. Then he got in some Twitter e-drama with a game journalist and cancelled Fez 2.

I'm not sure why they're comparing Nash with him, though. :??: Did JO dump him and now she's dating someone else? I don't keep up with the Twitter stuff.

Rynnec

JO broke up with Nash, and now she's apparently going out with ANN's Zac Berschy.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

I mainly watch TGWTG for Doug, Linkara, Phelous, Lupa, CR!, Blockbuster Buster and Todd. I sometimes watch Rap Critic, but I don't follow the rap scene that closely so it's usually only when he's tackling something which I've heard of, and even then I will usually only possess scant knowledge of it. I sometimes watch Paw, but just Music Movies. I used to watch Lindsay, but the gaps between her videos have gotten so long that I've kind of lost interest.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Peanutbutter

Avaitor

Quote from: Peanutbutter on January 14, 2014, 05:40:01 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 14, 2014, 04:13:41 PM
God, stop trying to talk for other people, Doug. This is why these usually don't work.

He made several great points. I don't see the problem.
My problem with his editorials or reviews in general is that Doug always seems to talk for every single person, as if his points are true for everybody. I'd like them a lot better if he used another pronoun besides "we" in every other paragraph.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Can't say I agree, Avaitor. In fact, my problem with this video is the opposite. Everything he says here should just go without saying.

I think, with some exceptions, his Editorials have been great and better than his regular reviews. I also find them to be the exception to my "Doug can't tackle serious topics" complaint.

Avaitor

I don't hate Doug's editorials, but they're pretty hit or miss for me. I actually do think that he has good points in this one, but I guess I'm alone in being annoyed with his pronoun trouble.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I do think his pronoun usage can get annoying, but I think for the most part he was accurate in this video. At the same time though, I don't think he had anything to say that we didn't already know.

Avaitor

Heads up- Todd's going to have to replace the Taylor Swift bumper music from his Top 10 Worst of 2013 video. There's no real word as to why, from him or anyone, but it will be different if you watch it in the near future.

New blog!

No-Personality

Diamanda's next review is going to be another Emanuelle... Consequently, this is me:

Quote from: Avaitor on January 16, 2014, 10:37:51 AMHeads up- Todd's going to have to replace the Taylor Swift bumper music from his Top 10 Worst of 2013 video. There's no real word as to why, from him or anyone, but it will be different if you watch it in the near future.
Do you follow him on Twitter or something?

Frankly: unless he told you / his followers this, I would assume he's trying to fix the video because there were a number of audio glitches in it. Did you notice? One moment, his vocal track dropped to almost inaudible and there were some other problems. Especially in the first few minutes.

Quote from: Silverstar on January 14, 2014, 05:20:10 PMI mainly watch TGWTG for Doug, Linkara, Phelous, Lupa, CR!, Blockbuster Buster and Todd.
Is CR the Familiar Faces guy? He's got a few great videos- especially the one on Care Bears' Cold Heart. Which is hilarious, see it now.

Quote from: Silverstar on January 14, 2014, 05:20:10 PMI sometimes watch Rap Critic, but I don't follow the rap scene that closely so it's usually only when he's tackling something which I've heard of, and even then I will usually only possess scant knowledge of it.
I'm shocked that he gave mainly negative / nitpicky reviews of Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day" and Dr. Dre and Snoop (Doggy) Dogg's "Nuthin' but a G Thang."
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...