Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: No-Personality on January 16, 2014, 04:27:43 PM
Quote from: Silverstar on January 14, 2014, 05:20:10 PMI sometimes watch Rap Critic, but I don't follow the rap scene that closely so it's usually only when he's tackling something which I've heard of, and even then I will usually only possess scant knowledge of it.
I'm shocked that he gave mainly negative / nitpicky reviews of Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day" and Dr. Dre and Snoop (Doggy) Dogg's "Nuthin' but a G Thang."
:shit:

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on January 16, 2014, 04:27:43 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 16, 2014, 10:37:51 AMHeads up- Todd's going to have to replace the Taylor Swift bumper music from his Top 10 Worst of 2013 video. There's no real word as to why, from him or anyone, but it will be different if you watch it in the near future.
Do you follow him on Twitter or something?

Frankly: unless he told you / his followers this, I would assume he's trying to fix the video because there were a number of audio glitches in it. Did you notice? One moment, his vocal track dropped to almost inaudible and there were some other problems. Especially in the first few minutes.
I do, and he did address this around the time the video came out. I hope that he will fix these issues as well.

Apparently Blip won't allow Todd to use licensed songs for his bumpers on lists anymore, so when his 10 best of 2013 comes out, he's going to have to use generic music like what he replaced the T Swift song with, and the same will go for future lists. Every other usage of music in his videos should be fine since that falls under review. And idk if the same will happen to Doug or whoever else will need bumper music for their videos.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

Quote from: No-PersonalityIs CR the Familiar Faces guy? He's got a few great videos- especially the one on Care Bears' Cold Heart. Which is hilarious, see it now.

Yeah, that's him. He's seriously underrated IMO, but he does good stuff. CR's one of my favorite reviewers on TGWTG because he primarily tackles cartoons. If I had an online show like that, I'd like to do stuff like Familiar Faces. My show would be a cross between Familiar Faces and Isle of Rangoon, mainly cartoon stuff and short film riffs.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on January 16, 2014, 08:23:24 PMApparently Blip won't allow Todd to use licensed songs for his bumpers on lists anymore, so when his 10 best of 2013 comes out, he's going to have to use generic music like what he replaced the T Swift song with, and the same will go for future lists. Every other usage of music in his videos should be fine since that falls under review. And idk if the same will happen to Doug or whoever else will need bumper music for their videos.
Did you hear that Blip has now partnered with Maker Studios?

Maker Studios is officially suck-attached to YouTube's cock, so it's possible that they are the ones behind this- Evil 1 or Evil 2. Last month they even fully stopped allowing anyone else to sign up for Blip. They have to sign up for Maker. And Maker makes it very clear whenever they can that: We Are YouTube's Dancing Chimp. This, of course, is more than generally distressing since there likely isn't another site with any umbrella offering videomakers complete freedom to use videos and music wherever they deem worthy. Which remains nothing short of ironic considering that people like Todd are never going to be millionaires. They are not abusing copyright laws in the slightest, the use of bumper music is always satirical and relevant to the topic of the video itself. Etc.

Stupid damn world we're livin' in.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Dammit, and I was getting closer to working on my video series that I wanted to post on Blip, as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

More on Maker. Take a look at their bullshit website too: http://www.makerstudios.com/programming

"Maker programming is organized into four networks. Learn about some of our featured shows below - Men / Women / Family / Entertainment."

Are we living in the fuckin' stone age? "Geek Culture" is listed under MEN, "Beauty" and "Fashion" and nothing but bone-headed braindead crap is listed under WOMEN, cartoons and "The Mom's View" (I see what you did there, you transparent smears!) is under FAMILY, and ... ah, what am I (shy?): Token Black, Middle-Eastern, and Asian guys "talk about music" in ENTERTAINMENT.

To say this is the most offensive thing I have seen Since I Don't Know is the biggest understatement I've made since... I Don't Know. This officially sets back any kind of social progress anyone has tried to make through the internet in over the last 15 years. Blip must have been freakin' hurting. Badly. Because whether or not what's going on with Todd is in fact because of Maker and a sign of things to come, this can only lead to bad things.

Quote from: Avaitor on January 16, 2014, 09:39:22 PMDammit, and I was getting closer to working on my video series that I wanted to post on Blip, as well.
Are you serious?
and I love it.

Daikun

Quote from: No-Personality on January 16, 2014, 09:31:07 PMDid you hear that Blip has now partnered with Maker Studios?

Partnered? It's more than that. They're the parent company.

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on January 16, 2014, 09:45:32 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 16, 2014, 09:39:22 PMDammit, and I was getting closer to working on my video series that I wanted to post on Blip, as well.
Are you serious?
Well, I have outlines set up, as well as a rough draft for a script of my first video, but I'm missing the right equipment, which shouldn't be hard for me to obtain.

But it seems like I probably shouldn't bother anymore.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on January 16, 2014, 09:47:27 PM
Quote from: No-Personality on January 16, 2014, 09:45:32 PM
Are you serious?
Well, I have outlines set up, as well as a rough draft for a script of my first video, but I'm missing the right equipment, which shouldn't be hard for me to obtain.

But it seems like I probably shouldn't bother anymore.
I also was thinking of signing up for Blip. But their policy officially changed in the fall so that all "new talent" had to be prescreened and specifically accepted (which is definitely not the same policy they had back in March when I really started thinking about doing this) and... in the meantime, they literally kinda FIRED YourMovieSucksdotOrg- who has an extremely popular YouTube channel where he uploads reviews and posts videos regularly talking about his incredible battles with YouTube copyright policy and the studios themselves. In front of almost all his reviews- he includes a short kind of Fuck You shoutout to LionsGate, Warner, and whatever studio is currently giving him shit introduction with a big smiley face and distorted music. Then he did a couple videos talking about Blip telling him he was about to have all his content removed with a message: "we've reviewed your channel and decided you're just not the right fit- may we suggest YouTube or Vimeo." Of course, anyone's free to hike over to Vimeo but... I don't believe they've heard of monetization. They simply offer you a deal to pay them for more space to load videos into their database. ...Swell, right?...    ::)

Quote from: Daikun on January 16, 2014, 09:46:23 PM
Quote from: No-Personality on January 16, 2014, 09:31:07 PMDid you hear that Blip has now partnered with Maker Studios?
Partnered? It's more than that. They're the parent company.
Oh- so that was just Blip's word: "we've partnered" as in, don't panic. But...do, really. Because one way or another, things are going to change. And not for the better.
and I love it.

Daikun

Quote from: No-Personality on January 16, 2014, 10:05:24 PMOf course, anyone's free to hike over to Vimeo but... I don't believe they've heard of monetization. They simply offer you a deal to pay them for more space to load videos into their database. ...Swell, right?...    ::)

Of course they wouldn't recommend you to Dailymotion, where you CAN get ad revenue. ;)

No-Personality

I've tried uploading there- they give you exactly the same hassle as YouTube over copyrighted material. In my experience.

I made this video about Uncle Buck (which is not even close to what I would upload to Blip- I just wanted people to see my interpretation of the film) and both YouTube and DailyMotion said: you've got to be kidding. You know this is copyrighted. We're not showing it. Forget about it. BlockedBlockedBlocked.

Of course, had I uploaded a real review of the movie ala- ThatGuywiththeGlasses, they would have said the same thing.
and I love it.

Avaitor

Lindsay's back, again! And she has a good excuse for her absence this time.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I had a feeling her reason would be something like that. Good for her, too!

Nice video as usual.

No-Personality

I would not have chosen to see any of the movies she mentioned, so... I'm glad I avoided them.
and I love it.

Peanutbutter

A number of those choices she didn't bother laying out what was wrong with them and why they didn't work. Granted it's the first time she's done a video in a while and she apparently got a job as an editor for some show. But there was still too much phoning it in within that video.