Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on March 22, 2014, 11:09:53 PM
Todd reviews "Pompeii" by Bastille.

Glad he likes it. I love it because of how different it sounds, and the "Background Monks" as Todd calls them gives the song a pleasant international like feel to it. It reminds me of Return to Innocence by Enigma. And man, did Todd ever blow my mind when he summed up what the song was really about at the end. Very good review.

Daikun

Silverstar

Yeah, Brad's Caddyshack II review was excellent. I actually saw this movie on cable years ago, and I couldn't believe how breath-takingly bad it was. I should have figured that Jackie Mason's Artoonian character was really just a last-minute stand-in for Al Czervik after Rodney Dangerfield backed out. Why were we supposed to cheer on Bushwood getting remade into a tacky public golf course? Like Brad pointed out, if Artoonian was so rich, he could've just started his own country club.

Also, Lupa just reviewed A Talking Cat?!! with guest star the Nostalgia Critic. It was pretty funny, and the movie must have had a budget of about 10 bucks. I'm going to catch Doug's Disney Afternoon review after I get off work.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

No-Personality

Yeah, I mentioned the Lupa/Critic review last week but, truth be told, I think it's noteworthy more for the giant coincidence that it coincided with the director's cameo in the movie Phelous just reviewed- Gingerdead Man 2.

Kyle's new video has cameos from PushingUpRoses (who, Look At That, I was just talking about a few days ago) and SomeJerkwithaCamera - now Avaitor will know who he is when he sees him cameo in other people's vids.   ;D

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/brows-held-high-tiny-furniture-6787983

(My future-predicting powers are getting too much for me to handle.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Peanutbutter

Dang, I was hoping if the Critic ever did something on the Disney Afternoon that he'd do a whole month of it. Granted, he did Duck Tales before but the rest deserve their own episodes. I'm sure it's good though, I'll watch when I'm done browsing.

Avaitor

Uh, Doug, Eddie Valiant was a private investigator, not a cop. There is a difference. :P
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I found it kind of weird how a few years ago he had issues talking in too much depth about Aah! Real Monsters and Hey Arnold because they came out around the time he was growing out of cartoons, yet in this episode he has no problem talking about shows like Aladdin, Timon and Pumbaa, Quack Pack, and The Mighty Ducks even though they were on TV at roughly the same time.

Also as an aside, Eek! The Cat came before Schnookums and Meat, unlike what he suggests when he says the creator of S&M later went on to create Eek!
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Peanutbutter on March 25, 2014, 06:24:58 PM
Dang, I was hoping if the Critic ever did something on the Disney Afternoon that he'd do a whole month of it. Granted, he did Duck Tales before but the rest deserve their own episodes. I'm sure it's good though, I'll watch when I'm done browsing.

He also did Gargoyles a long time ago (although, IMO he didn't do it nearly enough justice).

Avaitor

I still don't regret skipping Schnookums and Meat for my Disney Afternoon retrospective.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I felt the same way about it that the friends in the video did, namely that I don't recall ever really watching it.  I remember it being on during the early days of Toon Disney, but aside from recognizing it I don't have much experience with it.  It must not have caught on the way Disney had hoped.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Comeau on March 25, 2014, 06:48:54 PM
I felt the same way about it that the friends in the video did, namely that I don't recall ever really watching it.  I remember it being on during the early days of Toon Disney, but aside from recognizing it I don't have much experience with it.  It must not have caught on the way Disney had hoped.

I don't see how you not having watched it means it didn't catch on. It most certainly did. There were plenty of toys and lunchboxes that every kid had. Heck, I actually used to have a Rescue Rangers lunch box myself.

Avaitor

I was a little too young back then, but was Schnookums and Meat really that popular?

New blog!

Commode

I don't remember these supposed toys circa 1995.  Every kid, really?  I remember Power Rangers toys, I remember Rugrats toys, I remember Toy Story toys, but I don't remember Schnookums and Meat toys.

Commode

I can't even find much merchandise for the show, save cans of Franco-American pasta.

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on March 25, 2014, 07:48:29 PMI was a little too young back then, but was Schnookums and Meat really that popular?

Not even close. I've only ever seen promos for it, and even then, it looked pretty bad.

It's the easiest of the TDA shows to erase from your memory. It was already overshadowed by the popularity of Ren & Stimpy (and Nickelodeon in general), and TDA was crashing and burning by then, so no one watched it.