Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I like how it starts off with a Batman Returns reference.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

Things've been a bit dry for the peeps I follow. There was a new Lindsay 50 Shades of Green episode and a vlog on Game of Thrones... which I got about 90 seconds through before realizing it'll be too hard to understand what they're talking about. I have no dang idea what that show is. And I hate most historical dramas.

Though, Kyle did an excellent video on it. He mostly discussed its root-ties to literature and culture:
http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/between-the-lines-game-of-thrones-6803322

And, in case it wasn't mentioned here, an okay one on Tiny Furniture and mumblecore:
http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/brows-held-high-tiny-furniture-6787983

And, Brad did a Taco Bell eat-stuff video (I actually love food vlogs):
http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/brad-tries-taco-bell-breakfast-6790981

And a fun video on a gimmicky Casper spinoff:
http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/dvd-r-hell-casper-and-the-angels-6788532

And, Lupa finally put an end to Charmed. I didn't die laughing like with some of her previous reviews but I did have a lot of fun watching her over 130-minute long review of it... that's season 8, exclusively. Guessing I'm the only one who would sit through something that long, though it went up in pieces.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Insomniac

I love people who generalize Game of Thrones as another historical drama or medieval fantasy without even watching an episode. They're like people who don't know how to dress themselves.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 09, 2014, 07:58:12 PM
I love people who generalize Game of Thrones as another historical drama or medieval fantasy without even watching an episode. They're like people who don't know how to dress themselves.

Who on TGWTG said that about GOT?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 09, 2014, 08:25:50 PM

The post above mine, silly-willy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 09, 2014, 08:27:24 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 09, 2014, 08:25:50 PM

The post above mine, silly-willy.

And this is why I should follow my own advice to people and read before posting. :sweat:

No-Personality

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 09, 2014, 07:58:12 PMI love people who generalize Game of Thrones as another historical drama or medieval fantasy without even watching an episode. They're like people who don't know how to dress themselves.
Yeah, if I were about 5- that'd be a real burn. But you just come off like a child.

You don't like me, so you follow me around from post to post looking for ways to antagonize me. But you are not better than me, so step the hell off. Alright? I'm not to blame for whatever genius around here gave you a Mod position but this is not a game. I do not care what you think about me. Get over it. Find a new hobby.
and I love it.

Dr. Insomniac

No-Personality

and I love it.

Foggle

GregX

Quote from: No-Personality on April 09, 2014, 07:43:20 PM
Things've been a bit dry for the peeps I follow. There was a new Lindsay 50 Shades of Green episode and a vlog on Game of Thrones... which I got about 90 seconds through before realizing it'll be too hard to understand what they're talking about. I have no dang idea what that show is. And I hate most historical dramas.

Well, when you say you have no idea what the show is, and then say you hate most historical dramas in the next sentence, you do end up looking a bit foolish.

It's not a historical drama, it's an (excellent) TV show based on series of (excellent) fantasy novels set in a fictional world with dragons, White Walkers, zombies, and so on.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 08, 2014, 11:15:54 AM
This week, Doug takes a look at what may be the worst animated movie OF ALL TIME! I'm talking, of course, about Foodfight.

Good Lord was the animation absolutely atrocious. I couldn't sit through this one which sucks because the Critic was really hitting some bullseyes in this one.

LumRanmaYasha

This week Doug tries to look past the plethora of bad to instead list 11 good things about the Star Wars prequels!

Having watched it, I can agree on Palpatine and Ewan McGregor's performance as Obi-Wan being some of the better aspects of the films, and he did mention a couple moments that were well done as well. But I don't think "Jar Jar having less of a role as the movies went on" should really count as a legitimate good thing since his very existence is a mistake in the first place, even if the diminishing of his role shows Lucas changing something instead of keeping things the way he wanted them like he tends to do. 

No-Personality

Quote from: GregX on April 11, 2014, 01:36:09 PM
Quote from: No-Personality on April 09, 2014, 07:43:20 PMThings've been a bit dry for the peeps I follow. There was a new Lindsay 50 Shades of Green episode and a vlog on Game of Thrones... which I got about 90 seconds through before realizing it'll be too hard to understand what they're talking about. I have no dang idea what that show is. And I hate most historical dramas.
Well, when you say you have no idea what the show is, and then say you hate most historical dramas in the next sentence, you do end up looking a bit foolish.

It's not a historical drama, it's an (excellent) TV show based on series of (excellent) fantasy novels set in a fictional world with dragons, White Walkers, zombies, and so on.
Lord of the Rings is the exact same genre as a movie like Glory or Gettysburg. Whatever you call that genre. The same genre as DragonHeart, the same genre as Braveheart, the same as Highlander. Whatever you call that genre. Call it a war film, call it an epic. Call it what you want. These films are undeniably unified by tone, style, similar music scores, color palette. And, yes, thematic elements. Same as Game of Thrones (and, to me, television today and film share similar cinematic qualities). I knew what I was saying. And I merely expressed a different sense of taste than whoever cares for the show.

Expecting me to call it just the right thing because other people are sensitive is ridiculous. I wind up putting on more airs just to adequately address Game of Thrones fans. To deal with the bug up someone else's ass. I don't reject any quality the show might have just because Lord of the Rings / the movies and shows I've previously experienced in the genre bore the snot out of me. I never pretended I was better than anyone else for hating these sorts of programs. I'm wise enough to know the genre is just not for me. And I have no issue with that. I don't want to have an issue with that and I sure as hell don't need to deal with someone else's snobbery.

Is my not calling it by a more or less broad term worthy of insulting me? Hell no and you're wrong if you say otherwise. I don't insult other people here (just challenge them, as I have been many times). I don't have to take any guff from anyone for this.
and I love it.

talonmalon333

So I decided to comment on Doug's Star Wars prequel pros.

11. I can agree on this one. The fights are energetic and fun in the prequels. I do wish more of those fights had more meaning to them, but energetic shallow combat is better than dull shallow combat.
10. I'll definitely take less Jar-Jar in general, so I'm glad they cut down on him as the movies went on.
9. I've always been iffy on Yoda fighting with a light saber, as I feel he should be above that. I guess separating it though, it can be fun watching him flip around. But in terms of story, the only argument I could see one making is that Yoda went all against sword fighting in the years between the prequels and the original trilogy.
8. I honestly didn't remember this scene. Not saying it's good or bad, but I have no opinion on it.
7. That pregnant revelation scene was indeed fairly well done.
6. I always felt Hayden had gotten more natural by Episode III. He still falls flat every time he talks, but he's able to pull of those quiet moments where he's just angry or sad, or simply brooding. And I do think he looks legitimately intimidating in those scenes in Episode III after turning. If those movies had a better director, I'm sure he would have delivered the dialogue better, too. I don't really understand why he's the one who has gotten the most hate out of the actors in this trilogy.
5. Episode III's opening is pretty much Star Wars action, so it's fine on this list.
4. Ewan McGregor indeed gives one of the better performances in the trilogy. I do wish he had a bit more to do, though. He mostly shines in Episode III.
3. I love the Emperor in the prequels. This should be moved up to #1 on the list.
2. Highly disagree here. Those worlds just looked too hollow in all that CGI.
1. Not sure how I feel about this choice, as it's implied that the Emperor was lying.

Also, John Williams should have been more than "11.5". I'd put that, alongside the Emperor, as the top two choices. But other than that, I agree with about 2/3 of his list.