Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I think Todd's a Mariah Carey stan, musically at least. He seems to be the only one who liked that single of hers last year.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

"#Beautiful"?

I haven't heard it yet.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Yeah, that one, but I think she just had a new album come out. From what I've heard of Mariah's recent work, her voice has already peaked, which is sad.

But speaking of Todd's opinions, I've been hearing "Fancy" a lot lately, and I have to say that I like everything about it but Iggy Azalea. Charlie XCX's parts are the obvious, but delightful hook, and the bassline is killer, but I'm with Todd on Iggy's main parts being ungodly boring. Yet at the same time, I think her part on Ariana Grande's song is much better than the main stuff.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

No-Personality

^ If Eminem has taught us anything, never slam a white rapper for being white. There's always a black puppet-master behind the white puppet. Oh, yeah, and I've always liked "Informer."

Twitter's buzzing with some of the new finally-announced pickups during May's "talent search." Including Rantasmo / Needs More Gay (who guest-starred in Diamanda's Vegas in Space review a few months back), "Stuff You Like," and Folding Ideas / Foldable Human who are all from Lindsay's Chez Apocalypse.

Oh, and the extremely popular horror review shows Count Jackula and The Horror Guru. They're both actually incredibly talented, smart writers who have made some excellent videos... in the past. Unfortunately, since meeting each other, they've become basically the same person. The same head-splittingly ultra-obnoxious, hyper-masculine, speed-ranting goofball. You know how some people can't stand Phelous because he sort of expresses himself like an overly caffeinated Sesame Street monster-character? Multiply that by about 10 for Jackula and 40 for Guru. Meanwhile, if their older reviews go to TGwtG first, I'll gladly pimp them alongside any good new ones by Lupa, Diamanda, etc.

I hope Boots to Reboots applied. That guy, while just as gross and crass as a lot of less talented producers, is actually pretty funny. Especially his 2-part Godzilla (Roland Emmerich) review. And Some Jerk with a Camera. I can't think of any reason for him not to try for it.
and I love it.

talonmalon333

So I was thinking lately. To me, it kind of seems like Lindsey sees the TGWTG site as being, to put it one way, a means to an end.

We know that Lindsey has big hopes and plans for what she wants to do with her future, and it's not the same as what Doug has going. I mean, she went to school for this stuff. It's especially noticeable when you look at her earlier videos and compare them to her more recent ones. Back then, it looks to me like she basically accepted the girl Nostalgia Critic shtick to ride it out and go from there, and within a few years, she very much developed into her own thing. I feel like she needs this site as a sort of stepping stone for what she wants to do next.

Plus, she has also taken subtle jabs at the TGWTG fanbase.

No-Personality

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 29, 2014, 02:15:39 AMPlus, she has also taken subtle jabs at the TGWTG fanbase.
Let's just remember what some of these people are really like. Because many of them are anything but humble. Just look at the people who still attack Phelous to this day just because Lupa is his girlfriend just because she had a falling out with Spoony on Twitter. I mean- I will always think Kyle was downright petty and potentially insulting in his review of The Doom Generation. (Which now helps me understand how several people could have had a problem with his review of The Girlfriend Experiment.) But I do not let that taint my opinion of who he really is or anything, because I'm mature enough to know that there is something disappointing in everyone you'll ever meet. You accept it and move on. Don't... write fan fiction about people who are not technically trained actors or entirely fictional characters (and I mean: cartoons). And I don't like Bennett the Sage but I would never make a video about how he was one of TGwtG's biggest mistakes - http://blip.tv/thatguyinthecape/shinobi-s-commentaries-25-special-part-1-top-11-tgwtg-misfires-11-6-5474106 . And I'm not actually referring to his inclusion of "The Distressed Watcher." A lot of people can't stand Amazing Atheist and their opinions are all valid. But, his comments on Lindsay are the kind of thing I will neither accept nor forget.

By the way, it seems my earlier prediction was pretty close... Todd has a new series he's working on... with Madonna movies as the focus. Episode one is up now:
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-desperately-seeking-susan-7001941
and I love it.

talonmalon333

Quote from: No-Personality on July 29, 2014, 08:10:21 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 29, 2014, 02:15:39 AMPlus, she has also taken subtle jabs at the TGWTG fanbase.
Let's just remember what some of these people are really like. Because many of them are anything but humble.

Yeah, but I was also getting at how they can be just as fans. I remember Lindsey making a joke about people calling her out for "Trying too hard" or "Not trying hard enough". I forget exactly how it went, but she was basically making fun of typical fan stuff.

I myself have always felt like there was disconnect between me from TGWTG and its community. Like, I was never able to love anything Doug does, in the way that I love the works of a lot of other people on the internet. I follow the works of people like Mega64 and James Rolfe all along the way and support them. With Doug (and whoever else on the site I'm a fan of) I just kinda-sorta keep up with their videos every once in a while, but for the most part don't really care at all. When Doug called the Moulin Rouge video his best work, I was kind of just left thinking "what?". There's just always an invisible wall between me and TGWTG.

And I'm not excluding Lindsey entirely here, either, despite the fact that she almost exists outside of that. The fact that she loves bringing in her friends so much just kills so many of her videos for me. If it wasn't for them, Lindsey might actually be my favorite series on TGWTG.

Avaitor

Whenever I step inside the TGWTG fanbase, I seem to be at a minority to not love every single thing Doug Walker has ever done. I certainly enjoy a good part of his NC videos, but I can't really understand how one can become a stan of his material.

Anyway, new NC.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I think that, overall, I just don't find Doug to be that funny. Particularly when he drags out jokes and overacts. It's like he has good jokes but bad instincts, because I can distinctively remember moments where he would say things that are legitimately funny and then ruin them badly. There's also the fact that he feels the need to pad out his episodes with skits, which honestly are a bit of a bore. These days I feel as if I just don't have the desire to ever start any of his videos because I just want to watch him review movies, not have to wait through skits.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The skits are pretty hit or miss, but I don't mind them. I think Doug himself is pretty hit or miss with his reviews. Even before the skits it felt that way.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 29, 2014, 05:56:46 PM
The skits are pretty hit or miss, but I don't mind them. I think Doug himself is pretty hit or miss with his reviews. Even before the skits it felt that way.

Agreed.

Nel_Annette

The end of that review with Pinkie and the Brain. I was in tears laughing.