Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No-Personality

Quote from: Nel_Annette on July 30, 2014, 12:13:03 AMThe end of that review with Pinkie and the Brain. I was in tears laughing.
Which review?
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Nel_Annette

Purge. Thinking about it, I get why some people are mad about it; Doug getting the actual voice actors to say something so horrible. But I found it so unexpected that I was just laughing my head off.

No-Personality

I wasn't surprised- considering how several TGwtG'ers have Tweeted pics meeting Rob Paulsen at conventions. (By the way, I noticed last year that Paulsen has a tiny role in one of my Top 100 horror picks, Warlock, as a gas pumper at a service station.) Good review, though. What a shit movie. Like I've said, horror has been pretentious as hell since 2003.

Quote from: Cartoon X on July 29, 2014, 11:51:10 AMWith all this talk about Frozen on this site, lately, I find it humorous that CR's newest video just happens to be about...
This seems to be his first video in a year or more. And damn was it genius!! I've been saying since March that the Frozen fandom has been nothing but a detriment to the film and to Disney's reputation. Yet, look at this video and Honest Trailers, etc. They've been poking huge holes in the fans' arguments that it's the most complex and intelligent and best Disney animated film. Which it doesn't have to be to be a decent watch and maintain an upward curve for Disney's quality control. (That is, over garbage like Princess and the Frog. And... what were they doing before 2009? Didn't they go kind of dead-silent after Chicken Little for a few years?) (It is really not hard to do better than Princess and the Frog.)

Oh, and one of the videos on Frozen I saw recently pointed out that "Let It Go" is kind of a direct rip-off of Katy Perry's "Firework."
and I love it.

Peanutbutter

Princess and the Frog was not garbage.  :srs:

And Frozen doesn't sound like Firework, that's a load of crap.

No-Personality

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 01, 2014, 10:19:43 AMPrincess and the Frog was not garbage.  :srs:
One good thing about it?

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 01, 2014, 10:19:43 AMAnd Frozen doesn't sound like Firework, that's a load of crap.
The song in question is "Let It Go." And, compare the two. Right now.

But, no need to take my word for it:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=let+it+go+firework
and I love it.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: No-Personality on August 01, 2014, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 01, 2014, 10:19:43 AMPrincess and the Frog was not garbage.  :srs:
One good thing about it?

It's the first movie with a black Disney Princess. Her best friend was a fun character, they had the guts to kill off the talking firefly, it had an instant classic villain song "Friends on the Other Side", and not to mention the villain himself was awesome. Overall, it had an enjoyable cast with a good story. It's not garbage just because you didn't like it.

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 01, 2014, 10:19:43 AMAnd Frozen doesn't sound like Firework, that's a load of crap.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

That was just the words from Let It Go played over Firework. That didn't prove anything.  :lol:

I could play Gnarles Barkley's "Crazy" over "Rolling in the Deep" if I knew how to edit music, that doesn't make them the same song. Thanks for proving my point further.  :awesome:

No-Personality

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 01, 2014, 08:43:06 PMIt's the first movie with a black Disney Princess. Her best friend was a fun character, they had the guts to kill off the talking firefly, it had an instant classic villain song "Friends on the Other Side", and not to mention the villain himself was awesome. Overall, it had an enjoyable cast with a good story. It's not garbage just because you didn't like it.

#1: Tiana's being black is just as much a reason for me to criticize the movie and say it didn't do her justice! Disney had decades to do a movie with a black Princess in it. But instead, they wait too long and slap some cheap shit of a "plot" and "character background" together at what has always felt like the last minute, proving the only thing they cared about was adding another piece to their soulless Benetton assembly of dolls for the Princess merchandise line. It's like dipping a Barbie in liquified black marker- she's still a damn Barbie. There is no substance to her identity, nothing interesting about her. Disney didn't care about making her interesting and you're not even attempting to prove otherwise. Your attitude is coming off like "well, black people and Everyone Else should be grateful" and that is beyond absurd.

#2: Killing Ray is nowhere near as challenging a move on Disney's part than the legendary scenes from Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi, Dumbo, etc., that have shocked audiences for decades. And, I'm just talking as a concept. It didn't surprise me when Facilier stepped on him, even before Disney fucked everything up by showing up him still alive and not the slightest bit squished or broken up afterward which removed ALL of the impact it had even from the people who were affected by it, then choosing to give him extra dialogue. Which actually hurt even more because he was an annoying, cheap stereotype the whole movie long. In short: F for effort. This aspect of the movie, like everything else that mattered (beyond the backgrounds and gorgeous colors), is a cop out.

#3: Disney hasn't crafted a truly iconic, memorable villain for-the-ages since Frollo. (Which still shocks me, since I forgot the entirety of Hunchback mere minutes after seeing it in the 90's. But I can't say the world didn't remember Frollo. They did.) Facilier is all-flash, nothing more. Nothing he did penetrated the surface. Like every other "creative" aspect to this flaccid, tepid movie. His motivation can be chalked up to plot convenience, he had no menace, his writing wasn't embellished with any wit or charm, and casting Keith David in this role is exactly like casting Sandy Duncan as Vixey in Fox and the Hound or if Jim Cummings had voiced Scar in more than just pieces of "Be Prepared." Did they even think of him when they were casting actors with deep, imposing voices on Oliver & Company? No, they wait over 25 years from when he made his mark in film in John Carpenter's The Thing (which is what steered his career into "tough guy" roles) to say "come on board" for their film output, which by that point they were only importing him from their TV series' anyway... if they had the respect for him that he deserved to be shown, they would have considered him for a better role in a better movie and not waited until they had a project they didn't care about.

And, 2 words: Oogie Boogie. You want a dark Disney villain with some guts about how he was created, who makes an impression, AND is voiced by an actor I hadn't even heard of? This is where Disney put in all their effort. And the actual work people put into Nightmare Before Christmas, even though I don't care for the movie very much- I can admit is vastly superior to Princess, is exactly why this movie deserves to be judged by a higher standard. And why it falls so short. ("Friends on the Other Side" is nothing without the animation, and with it- it's just a 5th rate "Poor Unfortunate Souls.")

#4: I said the movie was garbage because I have a lot of reasons for why it is most certainly garbage to me. You want to challenge those reasons? Fine with me. You'll have your work cut out for you. This whole movie is tainted by Disney's corporate interests and profound lack of artistic integrity which up to that point they'd lacked since the early 1990's- a peak of success they haven't been able to rematch with anything before Frozen (even though Tangled is arguably superior). Almost every single thing about Princess and the Frog is pandering - think of Ray as this movie's Larry the Cable Guy from Pixar's Cars - or hackneyed. What a shock: Disney's first black Princess film takes place in the American south, involves a conniving shyster villain, and the backing music is jazz/ragtime/blues. It's like... 1985 all over again:

You don't think Disney's first black Princess deserved something more original? Less stereotypical? How is anything in this film progressive in the slightest if, at best, it's just tokenism?

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 01, 2014, 08:43:06 PM
Quote from: No-Personality on August 01, 2014, 03:25:20 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That was just the words from Let It Go played over Firework. That didn't prove anything.  :lol:

I could play Gnarles Barkley's "Crazy" over "Rolling in the Deep" if I knew how to edit music, that doesn't make them the same song. Thanks for proving my point further.  :awesome:
The vocals from "Let It Go" fit in the exact pattern of the music from "Firework," hitting all the exact same beats and breaks. Unless "Rolling in the Deep" and "Crazy" have the exact same progression, they will not sound like the same song with the vocals of one laid over another. A mix like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7fAypgu3fU - proves that "Let It Go" fits exactly in "Firework." The progressions are not slight similarities - they are a Perfect Match. Because one is a copy of the other. What you should be doing is trying to arguing that "Firework" is already a copy. Which it might be, but "Firework" was a massive fucking hit. Literally massive. Not big. Massive. And Katy Perry arguably is a bigger star than any other pop artist now, she clearly outsold everything Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Britney Spears, Ke$ha, and Miley have put out after 2009 with the album "Firework" was on. So, it's a big deal that these 2 songs are so similar. And if you actually think every 2 songs now-a-days are literally 100% perfect copycats of one another and would fit with vocals transposed to the EXACT instrumental of another- congratulations, you're officially more cynical than I am. Because, you see, how this usually works is that a producer may copy a piece of the sound of another song or slow / speed up the progression, add changes... "Let It Go" didn't change a thing.
and I love it.

Peanutbutter

If you're going to be so hateful, you don't deserve a full rebuttal. All I'll say is, just because it doesn't fit your overblown criteria doesn't make it garbage. Noni wasn't a token character, it's not she was paper thin, you're opinion about Princess and the Frog is utter B.S.

And my point about Let It Go flew over your head, so I'm not going to bother arguing that with you either. Pulling teeth would be better than trying to discussing anything with you around.

No-Personality

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 02, 2014, 05:21:25 PMIf you're going to be so hateful, you don't deserve a full rebuttal. All I'll say is, just because it doesn't fit your overblown criteria doesn't make it garbage. Noni wasn't a token character, it's not she was paper thin, you're opinion about Princess and the Frog is utter B.S.

And my point about Let It Go flew over your head, so I'm not going to bother arguing that with you either. Pulling teeth would be better than trying to discussing anything with you around.
Absolutely nothing flew over my head. You simply don't want to accept what I am saying...about a song in what is basically a children's film (and it feels like one since it lacks a great amount of genuine conflict and a true blue Disney villain). What possible reason you have for this, I can't even begin to fathom. But, if you're going to keep acting like a child about it, I don't fucking care. Do your worse and deny me a full rebuttal, I'll cry about it all night long. Really.

I hate to say "welcome to reality," but it is a stone cold fact that every single person who consumes media and has a brain since the dawn of time has had a heavily critical side when it comes to films they consider to be inauthentic, patronizing, lazy, boring, etc. I am well within my right to call films out for any thing in the book I think they are doing wrong. You think I'm hateful? Good way of trying to run from the responsibility of accepting that Princess and the Frog might just be insulting to minorities. Which you only have to do if you're this hellbent on challenging me.

So, like I say to everyone around here: if you don't want to talk about this subject with me, don't reply. No one is forcing you to. I will have my say, you don't have to read it. No one is forcing you to.
and I love it.

Dr. Insomniac

So in the wake of JOgate, she badmouthed JewWario and called people who wear his hat in memoriam weirdos. That's sweet of her.

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 03, 2014, 02:17:12 AMSo in the wake of JOgate, she badmouthed JewWario and called people who wear his hat in memoriam weirdos. That's sweet of her.

Got a screencap or link?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on August 03, 2014, 02:55:50 AM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 03, 2014, 02:17:12 AMSo in the wake of JOgate, she badmouthed JewWario and called people who wear his hat in memoriam weirdos. That's sweet of her.

Got a screencap or link?
Here's the tweet, and someone giving an explanation.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 03, 2014, 02:17:12 AM
So in the wake of JOgate, she badmouthed JewWario and called people who wear his hat in memoriam weirdos. That's sweet of her.

Far as I'm concerned, she's nothing but scumbag now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wow, that's just....

It's like over the course of a few days she's somehow sunk from a low point to flat-out rock bottom. I definitely no longer wish to associate with her in any form. I've seen Lindsay say obnoxious things before, but JO bad mouthing a guy who lost his life over tragic circumstances makes Lindsay look like a saint.

Peanutbutter

Jeez, JO's gone nuts. I don't think it's because of her boyfriend either.

What's Nostalgia Chick done?