Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I haven't been keeping up with Disneycember, but I wanted to see this one when I found out that Doug wasn't a fan. In truth, I can't really argue with his thoughts on the movie, since it is a formulaic take on college films, and at the end of the day just isn't as unique of a family film experience as Pixar's best. I knew this the moment I saw it, and it's true, Monsters U isn't all that special.

But I like the original quite a bit more than Doug does, so that's probably why I like this better than him- I just like seeing Mike and Sully again (and Randall too, however briefly he appears). They're great characters, and I could just hear Billy Crystal and John Goodman voice them all day. There are also good jokes abound, and like Doug, I do appreciate the ending moral. The film isn't very special, but it's hardly horrible.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

So, I was visiting the GeekNights forum and...

:whuh:

EDIT: Now at the CA forum.

Peanutbutter

Um, in regards to the forum link, people are debunking it. So I don't know that there's anything major with this.

EDIT: Oh, and the thread was closed. Yeah, this was bullcrap.

Avaitor

New Cinemadonna for Truth or Dare.

Fun fact- one of the first dates my uncle and aunt went to was to see this movie.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

What do you guys think of the Nostalgia Critic's two supporting actors (I think their names are Malcolm and Tamara)?

Avaitor

They're good actors, but I feel like a lot of NC's reviews would be better without their material.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I like them. They are solid and funny actors that play off of Doug very well, and I enjoy a lot of the skits the NC does with them in his reviews these days. I suppose that's an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I really do feel that they've gotten better and more entertaining over time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on December 29, 2014, 11:47:02 PMI like them. They are solid and funny actors that play off of Doug very well, and I enjoy a lot of the skits the NC does with them in his reviews these days. I suppose that's an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I really do feel that they've gotten better and more entertaining over time.

Pretty much this. People give the NC's skits way too much flak as it is. In all honesty, I think that they have gotten much better over time, and while people love to bitch and moan about how much better his older reviews were without them, a lot of those older reviews honestly haven't aged quite as well as most people seem to think though that has a lot to do with the meme and Internet reference-heavy nature of this show's humor. It only takes a few years for stuff like that to feel completely outdated.

Peanutbutter

I think they're fine too. The real problem is they can only do so much with some of the scripts Rob writes.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2014, 12:01:58 AM
Quote from: Cartoon X on December 29, 2014, 11:47:02 PMI like them. They are solid and funny actors that play off of Doug very well, and I enjoy a lot of the skits the NC does with them in his reviews these days. I suppose that's an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I really do feel that they've gotten better and more entertaining over time.

Pretty much this. People give the NC's skits way too much flak as it is. In all honesty, I think that they have gotten much better over time, and while people love to bitch and moan about how much better his older reviews were without them, a lot of those older reviews honestly haven't aged quite as well as most people seem to think though that has a lot to do with the meme and Internet reference-heavy nature of this show's humor. It only takes a few years for stuff like that to feel completely outdated.

I just don't find the skits to be that entertaining. No offense to those actors, but at this point, when I open a Nostalgia Critic review I want to watch a Nostalgia Critic review. It's the same as Lindsey. I want to listen to what she has to say, not watch Nella and Elesa being unfunny (though I do like Malcolm and Tamara more than them).

I agree about how some of his old videos haven't aged too well. The Chuck Norris jokes, above all other things he did, are especially painful to me. I tend to wonder if he was the only person left in the world still making Chuck Norris jokes in the 2012. Those jokes started before I even got to high school.

I suppose I'm not the biggest TGWTG fan though, really.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 30, 2014, 05:43:21 PMI just don't find the skits to be that entertaining. No offense to those actors, but at this point, when I open a Nostalgia Critic review I want to watch a Nostalgia Critic review. It's the same as Lindsey. I want to listen to what she has to say, not watch Nella and Elesa being unfunny (though I do like Malcolm and Tamara more than them).

And his old style of reviewing isn't that funny either. His early reviews aside, they just got boring and tedious. We had tons of 20+ minute videos of him monologuing unfunny jokes about a movie, save for a few highlights in each episode. The average skits are funnier than most of his predictable and outdated content from 2010-2012, and if we're talking about not wanting to watch someone be unfunny, that's a far better example of it, IMO.

I still say that the NC was at its best as a show when he did shorter videos packed with better jokes, rather than doing longer videos and dragging them out just to meet some expected fan quotas (since a lot of his fans seem to believe that more is better). If you were talking about most of Doug's 2008-2009 videos being funnier than his new content, then I'd agree with you, because the jokes were better, the pacing and timing were better, and the jokes were less Internet meme heavy. But most of the stuff after that up to 2012 simply has not aged well, showing why I'm not a fan of meme humor in the first place. The actors took a while to get better, but there have been quite a few legitimately funny and entertaining skits, and while his episodes are still dragged out, at least the skits help them to feel far less monotonous than they used to.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2014, 05:58:10 PM

And his old style of reviewing isn't that funny either. His early reviews aside, they just got boring and tedious. We had tons of 20+ minute videos of him monologuing unfunny jokes about a movie, save for a few highlights in each episode. The average skits are funnier than most of his predictable and outdated content from 2010-2012, and if we're talking about not wanting to watch someone be unfunny, that's a far better example of it, IMO.

I still say that the NC was at its best as a show when he did shorter videos packed with better jokes, rather than doing longer videos and dragging them out just to meet some expected fan quotas (since a lot of his fans seem to believe that more is better). If you were talking about most of Doug's 2008-2009 videos being funnier than his new content, then I'd agree with you, because the jokes were better, the pacing and timing were better, and the jokes were less Internet meme heavy. But most of the stuff after that up to 2012 simply has not aged well, showing why I'm not a fan of meme humor in the first place. The actors took a while to get better, but there have been quite a few legitimately funny and entertaining skits, and while his episodes are still dragged out, at least the skits help them to feel far less monotonous than they used to.

But what I was trying to get at in that last post was that, in both of those eras (2010-2012 and 2013-now) there is no point where I can call the Nostalgia critic a personal favorite. I may not be a fan of his skits, but I agree with you that his material from 2010 to 2012 isn't that good either. I never said that he was better in those days than he is currently.

That's all I can say, really. I'm not a big fan of the Nostalgia Critic as a whole. His first few years were fine, but I wasn't a fan of his meme heavy middle years, and I'm not a fan of his skit heavy current years.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree with you on that much. I'm a casual watcher of the NC because he's entertaining enough, but aside from his really early stuff when he wasn't really doing these videos as his job but just as a hobby, most of his stuff is just OK to me. I'm not really a big fan, but I do enjoy his material for what it is.

To be honest, I got burned out on angry Internet critic review shows a long time ago. These days I much prefer more informative and passionate review shows like The DVD Shelf Movie Reviews, SF Debris, and Good Bad Flicks.

talonmalon333

I think the best angry reviews might be Plinket. Because he's not simply angry. He makes really good points in his videos, and his tone and characterization are so absurd in a darkly comedic way.

Speedy

I was a huge Nostalgia Critic fan from 2008-mid 2011, but I've gradually been losing interest, for a few reasons:
-Too long of running times.  The older reviews were 15 minutes, 20 minutes at most.  As a result, they were faster-paced/edited and didn't wear out their welcome.
-The skits.  A few of them have been clever, but most of the time I've not been a big fan and feel they only pad the running time.  Malcolm typically does a good job, though.
-The choices of movies he's reviewed has gotten worse.  I've said this before, but I'm less than thrilled when he reviews newer movies.  Call me a stickler, but when I watch something called The NOSTALGIA Critic, I want to see something from the time period when he and I were both young and see if it holds up.  When I see him reviewing stuff like Alice in Wonderland, Sharknado, Ponyo, After Earth, and Wicker Man, I feel like he's missed the point of his own show.  I've voluntarily skipped over quite a few reviews in the last two years because of this.
-Crossovers.  Again, I know people are going to roll their eyes at this because I've mentioned this many times, but I've rarely liked the reviews where NC reviews it with somebody.  Especially when they're doing it remotely so they're not even in the same room.
-Lack of Old vs. New and Raiders of the Story Arc, two types of episodes that kept things fresh and mixed it up.  Yes, he did that Old vs. New of Spider-Man, but that's literally the -only- one since 2012.

I -have- been enjoying some of the editorials, though.  I haven't watched all of them; there are some with subject matter that doesn't interest me, but the ones that DO interest me have been generally well-done.