Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In that case, I've seen quite a few Jerk-wads who hate on Kill La Kill because they think its nothing more than a fanservice show based on only the first episode, and a complete misinterpretation of it at that.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

Heart of Ice is NOT the best episode of Batman: The Animated Series. It's a good episode, and it permanently changed Mr. Freeze for the better, but there are great episodes before and after it.

Avaitor

I don't know if that's my favorite Batman episode, but it's still in my top 5.

What would you consider the best, though? :)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

It's one of my favorites. What would your top 5/10 be?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Honestly, the only Cartoon Cartoons I really care about these days are Ed, Edd, n'Eddy, Billy and Mandy, Courage, Dexter's Laboratory, and The Powerpuff Girls. The rest don't really hold up for me outside of a couple episodes.

In addition, I find CN's current crop of shows to be the best they've had since the Powerhouse days. Sometimes, I think they are better.

Foggle

Cartoon Cartoon-wise, only EEnE and Courage really hold for me as full shows. I still enjoy select episodes of the rest, but I can't say I'm too keen on revisiting the majority of, say, Dexter's or Johnny Bravo's runs, no matter how much I loved them as a kid. While I'm only mildly enthused by any of their newer cartoons, I must say that - Uncle Grandpa aside - CN's current lineup is actually quite good. I think today's kids can find just as much to like in Adventure Time and Regular Show as I did in the aforementioned series.

Spark Of Spirit

Dexter is like Rugrats to me. Pre-revival only, I have no problem watching any of it at almost any time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

You know me, if CN would put EEnE back on its main schedule, I would watch it every day when a season 3-5 episode was on.

I still think that of all the different eras of animated work from my childhood, the early Cartoon Network originals are among the best. If I had to choose between a marathon of Dexter, Johnny, Courage and Cow & Chicken over Rugrats, Arnold, CatDog, and Rocko, I'd go with the former any day, as much as I still really enjoy Rocko.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I've said it before, but I honestly think Rocko is the only real classic of the Nicktoons. There are great ones and good ones, but Rocko is the only one where I enjoy the whole series on a high level and have no problem watching any of it. Not to say it's their only good show, but it's the only one I would really deem a classic.

Avaitor

I'd agree with that, yeah.

Although Rugrats does come close, and would have too, if it ended early.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

They do put EEnE on the schedule every so often still. At least for a few months every year. I don't remember if they've done it yet this year, though, since I don't watch anything on it live anymore.

I'll agree that I'd take the early Cartoon Cartoons over the early Nicktoons, since the only early Nicktoons I think I really care for now are Rocko, Angry Beavers, and Aah! Real Monsters, and even then, AB is kinda uneven to me.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 21, 2014, 12:37:08 PM
I've said it before, but I honestly think Rocko is the only real classic of the Nicktoons. There are great ones and good ones, but Rocko is the only one where I enjoy the whole series on a high level and have no problem watching any of it. Not to say it's their only good show, but it's the only one I would really deem a classic.

I'll third this sentiment.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 21, 2014, 12:41:11 PM

I'll third this sentiment.
I'll fourth it.

gunswordfist

I'd say Hey Arnold!, Doug and Rocko. I do need to rewatch them though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Arnold is genuinely good, but I have a lower tolerance for slice of life shows now that I'm older and so far removed from the age group. To still get replay from me, there needs to be some great dialogue and character moments, which is where The Weekenders comes in as my favorite from that subgenre of cartoons. Arnold has some great stuff, though.

And Doug just isn't meant for anyone older than he is. I think that's better left as a memory.

New blog!