Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

I feel Gumball is a show that started off with too much forced humor, mostly relying on the animation gimmick, but it got much, much better over time.

I do consider this a bit of a "golden era" for CN's prime time shows. I've kind of grouped Chowder, Flapjack, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Steven Universe and Clarence into this kind of group of great, like-minded shows in my head. Two of them have long since ended, but the spirit is still there and they kind of kicked off this whole thing. Uncle Grandpa just isn't up there for me personally, and I've actually taken a liking to Teen Titans GO!, though I wouldn't consider it the same quality, but it's kind of hanging on there like a runner-up.

Avaitor

I mentioned before that TTG! has warmed up to me, but I'd hardly call it a great one.

But if you're gonna add Chowder and Flapjack to this era (and I'd hesitate with Chowder, personally- while I still like much of the earlier episodes, it fell fast and HARD), you gotta give credit to Sym-Bionic Titan as well. And I have to admit that I've been growing up to Generator Rex as something to keep me occupied with less busy homework.

I don't watch it regularly, but I'm almost done with the first season, and it's definitely better than anything Ben 10 related that I've seen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

I'm more referring to the comedy stuff. Never really watched Symbionic Titan enough to really classify it as anything, I never caught it when it was on and when it came to Adult Swim I found that I was just over that animation style. Admittedly for Chowder, I don't think I saw much after the first season, but I'm more including it in my personal group because it was what kicked off me paying attention to CN primetime again, and in turn led me on to watch Flapjack, and then Adventure Time, then Regular Show, and so on in my list. The defining characteristic of these shows I love, is that when I first saw each one, my initial reaction has been "This looks frickin' stupid." and I have been pleasantly surprised each time.

talonmalon333

Here is an unpopular opinion I have.

I think SpongeBob, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, and Hey Arnold! are the only Nicktoons that hold up exceptionally well. I mean there were other good ones, of course. But those four are the shows I can watch today and like as much as I did when I was a kid.

LumRanmaYasha

For me, it's Spongebob, Rocko, Hey Arnold!, Angry Beavers, and Aah! Real Monsters. I enjoyed rewatching episodes of all four of the latter this summer. The only Rugrats episodes I've seen recently have been post-Dil episodes, and I really couldn't get into those, but I will get around one of these days to rewatching the actual "good" seasons sometime in order to see how well that part of the show holds up for me.

gunswordfist

for me it's zim, rocko, avatar, hey arnold and spongebob.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: Nel_Annette on November 16, 2014, 02:46:42 AM
I'm more referring to the comedy stuff. Never really watched Symbionic Titan enough to really classify it as anything, I never caught it when it was on and when it came to Adult Swim I found that I was just over that animation style. Admittedly for Chowder, I don't think I saw much after the first season, but I'm more including it in my personal group because it was what kicked off me paying attention to CN primetime again, and in turn led me on to watch Flapjack, and then Adventure Time, then Regular Show, and so on in my list. The defining characteristic of these shows I love, is that when I first saw each one, my initial reaction has been "This looks frickin' stupid." and I have been pleasantly surprised each time.
I can see what you mean. I have to say that I didn't see all of the later Chowder episodes, either, but I've seen enough of them to have my opinion sour on the show a good deal, but those earlier episodes are still enjoyable. I wouldn't even say just season 1, since my favorite episode is probably "Panini for President", which started off season 2. It wasn't until a few more episodes that it became increasingly more obnoxious.

But seriously, the Cartoon Network of now is just SO much better than it was around 2006-08. I still really enjoy my Eds and Billy & Mandy, but the other shows from that era just aren't worth it, give or take some Foster's or Class of 3000. But kids really should be happy with all the awesome shows CN on right now, especially since Nick has what, 3 cartoons. And 2 of them are older than their target audience at this point.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

from the last few years, i've only liked rex, btbatb, sym-bionic titan, regular show, teen titans go and mad, with me being barely into rex. for me, the modern golden era ended when sym-bionic titan got screwed. i can't get into adventure time, couldn't get into mystery inc., i have barely given gumball and steven any chance and clarence and uncle grandpa none. maybe i should give the last 4 a try but either way, the regular show, titan and batman tbatb era was the last time i really liked cn.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on November 16, 2014, 01:18:31 PM
Here is an unpopular opinion I have.

I think SpongeBob, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, and Hey Arnold! are the only Nicktoons that hold up exceptionally well. I mean there were other good ones, of course. But those four are the shows I can watch today and like as much as I did when I was a kid.
The ones that hold up to me are Rocko, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold, early Spongebob and early Rugrats. There's some other good stuff, but they feel very much of their time compared to those.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

robot chicken contains the best slapstick comedy since prime looney tunes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes more than the live-action movie. To be clear, I love Whedon's Avengers film. It's pure fun from start to finish. However, I just love the more intricate plots and expanded characterization that the animated show allowed for.

gunswordfist

absolute agreed, doctor. now if avengers 2 is as great as joss' astonishing x-men, which is flat out my favorite x-men and whedon anything then...

GregX

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 06, 2015, 06:50:22 PM
I like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes more than the live-action movie. To be clear, I love Whedon's Avengers film. It's pure fun from start to finish. However, I just love the more intricate plots and expanded characterization that the animated show allowed for.

I agree, and I loved the movie. But I think EMH dropped the ball halfway through the second season when Josh Fine was removed and Jeph Loeb came in and handed the writing chores to Man of Action.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Agreed, though since I had low expectations going into the second half, I was surprised to see that it wasn't a complete train wreck like I expected. I did still quite enjoy episodes "Along Came a Spider" and "Powerless." I was however severely disappointed in how they resolved the Kree story-line, how they left the Surtur story-line completely unresolved, and how the final episode was a total mess that brought in Galactus out of left field, and had no rewarding sense of dramatic tension to leave the series off on a bang (which, come to think of it, is oddly reminiscent of how JLU ended).

And then Avengers Assembled happened, and....I like to put that show in a little corner of my mind along with the likes of The Goliath Chronicles and Ultimate Spider-Man, where I completely forget that they exist and am a happier person for it.

GregX

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 08, 2015, 03:11:48 PM
Agreed, though since I had low expectations going into the second half, I was surprised to see that it wasn't a complete train wreck like I expected. I did still quite enjoy episodes "Along Came a Spider" and "Powerless." I was however severely disappointed in how they resolved the Kree story-line, how they left the Surtur story-line completely unresolved, and how the final episode was a total mess that brought in Galactus out of left field, and had no rewarding sense of dramatic tension to leave the series off on a bang (which, come to think of it, is oddly reminiscent of how JLU ended).

And then Avengers Assembled happened, and....I like to put that show in a little corner of my mind along with the likes of The Goliath Chronicles and Ultimate Spider-Man, where I completely forget that they exist and am a happier person for it.

I'm with you. Every word. Except for "Powerless". I did not like "Powerless" at all.