Started by LumRanmaYasha, August 12, 2017, 06:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 18

"Wacky Delly" (Rocko's Modern Life)

VS.

"The Hot Piano" (The Flintstones)

VS.

"A Woodland Critter's Christmas" (South Park)

VS.

"Hawk & Chick" (Bob's Burgers)

LumRanmaYasha

"Wacky Delly" -
Spoiler
#Relatable. A great satire of the struggles of being an animator and the conflict between the art you want to create and what people expect/force you to make.
[close]
"Woodland Critter Christmas" -
Spoiler
The funniest South Park christmas special, spoofing sanitary christmas specials with a satanic twist.
[close]
"The Hot Piano" -
Spoiler
A little sexist, but Fred and Barney's antics trying to buy a piano for Wilma is full of inspired skits and gags. I love Barney's piano duet with the piano shop owner and the policeman singing the anniversary song way past Fred wants them too especially, but the physical gags with them trying to lift the piano into the Flintstone house without Wilma noticing are classic too.
[close]
"Hawk & Chick" -
Spoiler
Ranking this last because I laughed the least at it, but it definitely has the strongest emotional core of the bunch, crafting a story around how Bob and Louise bond over the Hawk & Chick films and the revelation that Louise is desperate to reunite the two because she fears she'll become estranged from her dad when she grows older too. Really good ep digging into the relationship between them, and any episode that references Lone Wolf & Cub is a winner in my book.
[close]

Dreamer2

Hawk & Chick
Woodland Critter Christmas
The Hot Piano
Wacky Delly

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

"Wacky Delly" (Rocko's Modern Life) - 9
"The Hot Piano" (The Flintstones) - 7
"A Woodland Critter's Christmas" (South Park) - 8
"Hawk & Chick" (Bob's Burgers) - 6

"Wacky Delly" and "A Woodland Critter's Christmas" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 19

"The Invisible Hand of Fate" (The Venture Bros.)

VS.

"You Have 0 Friends" (South Park)

VS.

"Returning Japanese" (King of the Hill)

VS.

"Slam Dunk" (Regular Show)

Avaitor

King of the Hill
Venture Brothers
Regular Show
South Park
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dreamer2

Venture Bros.
Regular Show
South Park
King of the Hill

LumRanmaYasha

"You Have 0 Friends" -
Spoiler
A great take-down of people's obsession with social media while contrasting it with a sympathetic and compelling story of a boy who doesn't have friends in his real life finding comfort and joy in being able to connect with Kyle as a friend online, showing that social media can have a positive effect on people's lives as well.
[close]
"Returning Japanese" -
Spoiler
I have mixed feelings about the way the show tries to portray Cotton as sympathetic in this scenario and Junichiro forgiving him, but there's still a lot of great jokes between these two episodes and fun subplots like Peggy's attempts to trick her boss into giving her a family vacation, Luann dogsitting Ladybird, Bobby playing Dance Dance Revolution with the japanese girl, and Hank and Junichiro's brotherly bonding in their attempt to stop Cotton from spitting on the emperor. Not sure if I'd still consider it one of my favorites, but it's got a lot of memorable moments for sure.
[close]
"The Invisible Hand of Fate" -
Spoiler
Great flashback exploring Billy's character, his relationship with Pete, and the connection he has to Phantom Limb literally getting phantom limbs.
[close]
"Slam Dunk" -
Spoiler
A solidly funny episode of Regular Show with a pretty fun basketball game between Mordecai and Rigby against Muscle Man and the Basketball Guru. This episode's got a lot of good Muscleman gags in particular which I quite enjoyed.
[close]

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

"The Invisible Hand of Fate" (Venture Bros.) - 9
"You Have 0 Friends" (South Park) - 7
"Returning Japanese" (King of the Hill) - 8
"Slam Dunk" Regular Show - 6

"The Invisible Hand of Fate" and "Returning Japanese" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 20

"The Mask of Matches Malone!" (Batman: The Brave and the Bold)

VS.

"Stanley's Cup" (South Park)

VS.

"Safe Space" (South Park)

VS.

"Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster!" (Batman The Brave & The Bold)

Avaitor

The Mask of Matches Malone!
Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster!
Stanley's Cup
Safe Space

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Sorry for the two month hiatus, but will anyone else vote on this match besides Avaitor and myself? I don't want to move on to the next match with just two people voting on this.  :sweat:

Dreamer2

Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster
Stanley's Cup
The Mask of Matches Malone
Safe Space

LumRanmaYasha

Sorry for yet another two month delay...but time to wrap the match up! Since I haven't voted yet, I'll go:

Safe Space
The Mask of Matches Malone!
Stanley's Cup
Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster

Which means the results are:

"The Mask of Matches Malone!" (Batman: The Brave and the Bold) - 9
"Stanley's Cup" (South Park) - 7
"Safe Space" (South Park) - 6
"Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster!" (Batman The Brave & The Bold) - 8

"The Mask of Matches Malone!" and "Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster!" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.