What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Spoiler
As for Mark ever forgiving him, I can see him viewing Nolan as a dad again with time and heavy penance on his part, but not as a hero after what happened.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 02, 2021, 08:29:09 AM
Spoiler
As for Mark ever forgiving him, I can see him viewing Nolan as a dad again with time and heavy penance on his part, but not as a hero after what happened.
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah, it takes Mark a long time to even start trusting him again in the comic book. I think the show would do best to play up the tension between them throughout the series. That said, I think both Mark and Debbie obviously have a biased perspective of Nolan, so it does make sense that they would eventually come around to him despite the atrocities that he has committed. Granted, Debbie comes around a little too easily in the comic which I always hated. That said, I definitely don't think that he should ever be forgiven by any Earth-based characters who aren't direct family, even after he helps them fight off other invading Viltrumites.
[close]

Avaitor

I finally got around to watching Invincible, and I thought that it was a strong adaptation of the comics. My only complaint is that there were a couple of questionable voice acting calls. I like Steven Yuen, Zazie Beetz, and Gillian Jacobs as much as anyone, but their voices do not pass for teenagers anymore.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I didn't notice all that much. Mostly since plenty of teenage cartoon characters don't like sound anything like teens to me. Fits the medium too, since Invincible takes tons of influence from Spider-Man, and none of the Peters in animation have ever sounded like teenagers.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Josh Keaton kind of passed for a teenager, IMO, but when he had to speak more serious lines it was a bit more jarring for me, especially since he also did the English Dub voice of Ryu Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden 2 and I was reminded of that voice in such instances.

I'm really glad that Invincible has caught on strong from the get-go. I'll be really glad if this show manages to get to characters like Conquest and Thragg, as well as giving us more of Allen who is my favorite character in the series.

Avaitor

Yeah, I do think Josh Keaton and Drake Bell pull off sounding like teens a little better, but no, the 60's Spidey voice definitely sounded older. So did the 90's and Amazing Friends VAs, but those were rare examples of focusing on older Peter in the first place.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

And maybe because I can only hear Mac from Foster's Home, but the one time they did cast a teenager to voice Spidey, it sounded off-putting. Like when a teen drama casts an actual 16-year-old for once, but they stand out so much when the rest of the cast is a bunch of guys in  their 20s/30s.

Avaitor

I've had a lot of free time since the show I was working on has been on hiatus. I've spent a little bit of that time watching some anime, like Hajime no Ipo, which I did enjoy, even though I don't understand its fascination with Makunouchi's penis. Still, it's gotta be the second best boxing anime/manga of all time.

I also tried Re: Zero and the God of High School, but I couldn't get into either of them. The former wasn't as bad, but I wasn't exactly compelled either, while TGOHS made me feel like I was back in high school, and how I might have had slightly more tolerance for this then, but probably not enough.

So now I'm spending a little more watching cartoons instead, and I'm alternating between a couple of shows I watched as a kid, and wanted to see how they hold up. One is Garfield and Friends, which is honestly pretty damn clever, and has stronger voice acting and animation than most of its contemporaries. I don't love that most US Acres segments have a cheesy song in them, but from what I understand/recall, this will stop being a problem a little later on. The Garfield segments are still my favorite, though. They take me back to when I would spend many a weekend scouring thrift stores to find old collections of the strips as a kid.

I've also been going back to ReBoot, which is definitely showing its age. Not only is this pretty far removed from how we see the internet today, but the tone is a little off. It wants to be taken seriously, but adds old Hanna-Barbera sound effects in at the most awkward times. The writing is also not very strong, to the point that you wonder how embarrassed Tony Jay was to deliver some of his lines. But of course, he's a professional, and Megabyte still sounds threatening. It can still be fun, like the pirate episode featuring Long John Baldry, and the first season finale show hints at a darker show creeping in. I'll get to the next season soon enough.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I remember Re:Zero's first season being a slow burn that only hit a notch once Betelgeuse showed up. God of High School's first episode bored me, and lack of good word of mouth didn't convince me to continue.

viverra-perito

On youtube I love "TheOdd1sOut", because its stories and personals contain a certain innocence and charm, complemented by humor and cheerful characters.

The best recent videos

Villain with Dyslexic

Lizard Cupid

My Girlfriend is Kinda Odd

The best videos of the past

Conspiracy Theories and Crazy People

Getting Lost at Camp Geronimo

My Decaying Mind in Quarantine

Ejoy!  :sly:

E-E

Martian Successor Nadesico.
Ultraman - New generation.

Dr. Insomniac

Starting Arcane because everyone's been talking about that. First 2 episodes were average, but that 3rd episode was insane.

Markness

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 27, 2021, 01:21:48 PM
Starting Arcane because everyone's been talking about that. First 2 episodes were average, but that 3rd episode was insane.

It's good stuff! You don't even need to play the League of Legends games for it either.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, that's what shocked me about this show. It could've been every other cartoon that's a tie-in to a game, or even like the other LoL cinematics I saw. It didn't need to be anything more than another commercial for League of Legends, but the show goes so beyond that.

Avaitor

Finally got around to Arcane, and I thought that it was pretty good. Maybe a little overhyped, but if anything, that's on me for waiting so long to get to the show after the "holy shit, this LoL show is actually tight" factor has died down.

But the animation and attention to detail are deserving of praise, and I'm happy to see this and Invincible prove that there's an audience for action-oriented western animation for adults.

New blog!