What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

This might be a terrible suggestion because I've never seen it, but what about Road Rovers? I always hear a lot about it and it's incredibly short.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 27, 2013, 11:32:14 PM
A rewatch of Young Justice to see what worked and what didn't.

That's actually a really good idea, even though it is something that I watched before. That said, I'd no doubt get tons of fans up my ass telling me how wrong I am for not noticing the most minute little details, but that pretty much comes with the gig.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 27, 2013, 11:41:48 PM
This might be a terrible suggestion because I've never seen it, but what about Road Rovers? I always hear a lot about it and it's incredibly short.
That's one I loved as a kid, since it was in the vein of Warner's comedy shows around that time, but  I don't think that it had a lot of the same staff, so I'm a little afraid to see how it holds. Because really, I'm thinking back, and it doesn't seem as clever as Freakazoid!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 27, 2013, 11:53:41 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 27, 2013, 11:41:48 PM
That's one I loved as a kid, since it was in the vein of Warner's comedy shows around that time, but  I don't think that it had a lot of the same staff, so I'm a little afraid to see how it holds. Because really, I'm thinking back, and it doesn't seem as clever as Freakazoid!
Yeah, that's why I think it might be an interesting show to read about, because you barely see anything about it online.

Sort of like Exosquad, I guess.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 27, 2013, 11:45:58 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 27, 2013, 11:32:14 PM
A rewatch of Young Justice to see what worked and what didn't.

That's actually a really good idea, even though it is something that I watched before. That said, I'd no doubt get tons of fans up my ass telling me how wrong I am for not noticing the most minute little details, but that pretty much comes with the gig.
I'm pretty sure GregX is not "tons of fans" but just a fan. ;)

And no criticism goes without counterpoints. If an analysis doesn't go without at least one cry to the contrary, then it's not an analysis but just a circlejerk.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Fair enough. I think I'll do Tron: Uprising since its something new that I haven't seen before, but maybe I can do Young Justice every other night, or just wait until I finish TU to give it a re-watch and reanalysis.

And yeah, I fully expect counterpoints and even welcome them, just so long as none of them question my opinion on the show just because I don't read any DC comic books. The show is clearly meant to stand on its own, so I'll be judging it as such.

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 27, 2013, 11:10:23 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on June 27, 2013, 11:04:07 PM
Durarara!

Ugly Americans

Fate/Zero

Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated

Duck Dodgers

Oh, I second (third?) that you watch Tron: Uprising. It's quite great.
I second all of these.
I third Duck Dodgers!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Do the new Lupin The Third show, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 27, 2013, 11:34:35 PM
Oh, shoot. Totally forgot about recommending The Secret Saturdays. Yeah, that show is awesome. Unfortunately, the only way you'd be able to watch it legally is through Boomerang, since the DVD's only went up to the middle of the first season. Still, it's a show I'd recommend to anyone wanting a good action cartoon, and unlike most short lived action cartoons these days, The Secret Saturdays is well-paced, and has a very satisfying ending. I'm honestly very sad at how underrated it is, because it really was a really well done series and should've lasted longer than it did.

Personally, I like it more than Avatar honestly. But it certainty isn't a Gargoyles, but c'mon. That's a level of excellence not many shows have been able to reach.
Hmm, Secret Saturdays had an actual ending? I assumed it just abruptly ended. I need to watch all of that show. I actually ignored it before I saw some episodes on Boomerang just because I thought the show's name was so bad :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 27, 2013, 11:34:35 PM
Oh, shoot. Totally forgot about recommending The Secret Saturdays. Yeah, that show is awesome. Unfortunately, the only way you'd be able to watch it legally is through Boomerang, since the DVD's only went up to the middle of the first season.
Actually, all three seasons of The Secret Saturdays are on iTunes so Boomerang isn't the only legal way to watch the whole series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I decided I'll have Tron: Uprising be the first show that I do, since its short and probably won't be too complex to analyze. That said, I should make it clear that as far as films go, I have only ever seen the original Tron, and have yet to see Legacy, so I'm just hoping that its not one of those shows that expects you to be very familiar with the films and can just stand as a good story on its own.

I'll try my best to get one short entry done per episode each night, and I aim to try and start tonight.

The Shadow Gentleman

Having only seen the first film as well, I can say that you don't really need to know much more then the basic premise to understand Uprising, and they fill you in at the start.

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watched the first episode a little earlier today, and I'll post my thoughts on it later tonight. I may need to re-watch bits of it to make sure that I get names and events right, which is why I'm not writing the entry right away after seeing it, because I'd like to avoid sounding ignorant as much as possible.

I'm purposely going to refrain from saying how I felt about the episode until I post that entry, just to generate maybe a little intrigue in my opinion on it. I will say that I am NOT a critic, though, so don't expect a thorough analysis of any flaws that I find.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finished the rough draft of my first entry. I just need to edit it before posting it up.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OK, So I just realized that I have absolutely no idea how to use Word Press, so this entry may take me a little while to post up.