Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

I hope someone will translate it when the it comes out.  I'm definitely interested in reading more of Fujita's work.

In other news, Silver Spoon is returning from hiatus in January. :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake: :shakeshakeshake:

LumRanmaYasha

It's great to see Fujita start up a new series. I hope we don't have to wait too many years for a pickup. I'd love if Viz made a digital Sunday imprint so that we could get the series as a simulpub like with Jump.

And of course, I could not be more excited for the return of Silver Spoon! It's been an agonizing wait, and I'm excited to see where Arakawa will take the series in what will probably be it's final arc.

LumRanmaYasha

Here are the rankings for the November 30th issue of Weekly Shonen Jump:

Nisekoi (Cover, Lead CP, 4th Anniversary)
1- One Piece
2- My Hero Academia
Assassination Classroom (Center Color)
Buddy Strike (23 p., not ranked)
3- Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
One-Shot (Center Color, 47 p.)
4- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
5- Haikyu!!
Black Clover (Center Color)
6- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
7- Hinomaru Sumo
8- Mononofu
Gintama (Not ranked. Was absent in issue #46)
9- Toriko
10- Kochikame
11- World Trigger
12- Bleach
13- Samon the Summoner
Chronicle of Isobe -Life is Hard-

Spark Of Spirit

Yep, Samon's next on the way out next. No surprise there.

Anyway, it's a shame at World Trigger, because it is still as good as ever. I think he needs to start the new arc already and grab some new attention again. The random one week breaks because of his health are taking a toll on the popularity of the series. While it won't be canceled anytime soon due to the merchandise doing really well, I am worried that it'll fall too low that it will never recover again. The series has been in the rank wars for a long time now, after all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

VLordGTZ

The Top 30 Best Selling Manga of 2015 list has been released.
These are the top 10:
1. One Piece - 14,102,521
2. The Seven Deadly Sins - 10,304,112
3. Attack on Titan - 8,778,048
4. Assassination Classroom - 8,605,861
5. Kingdom - 8,569,215
6. Haikyu!! - 6,531,508    
7. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma - 4,321,830
8. Terra Formars - 4,188,158
9. Prison School - 4,058,119
10. Tokyo Ghoul:re - 3,758,541

This is pretty much what I expected overall.  The only real surprise to me is Kingdom's high sales since it only sold 2,516,278 last year and it hasn't had an anime since early 2014.

Spark Of Spirit

It's strange how far Magi has fallen since its peak.

With sales like that, shouldn't Food Wars be considered one of the "Big 3" now? It outclasses Bleach.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Magi's sales were being boosted by the anime for the past years.  If it gets a third season next year, which I really hope that it does, the sales will probably go back up.

Bleach being outranked by 6 other Shonen Jump series shows how irrelevant the term "Big 3" is.

Spark Of Spirit

Also worth noting that World Trigger is right beside it. Glad to see volume sales are pretty strong for it. Should make it safe for a while.

I think this also a big hint as to why Toriko's getting the bum rush out the door. For a series that was once selling so high to not even make the Top 30 is a big drop.

And I hope Shogakukan's big push this coming year works out for them. Only Magi and Detective Conan are in the Top 30 for them. They need some fresh hits, especially with Magi winding down.

Spark Of Spirit

I've enjoyed these recent chapters of Black Clover far more than the previous arc. Tabata is using the characters to dictate the drama and the conflict instead of just throwing characters at the wall to see what sticks. I'm hoping he's beginning to get into the groove.

World Trigger looks like it's starting the next arc, so here's hoping Ashihara can keep it up with his health the way it is. This might finally be the step the characters need to reach A-Rank and begin the away missions.

Meanwhile, that might have been one of the best chapters of MHA. Shigaraki and Midoriya just sit around having a talk, but it really solidifies Shigaraki's creep factor. Everyone, even the fans, were paying so much attention to Stain they forgot that there is much worse out there than him. Really can't wait to see where this is going.

This week:

My Hero Academia
World Trigger
Black Clover
Buddy Strike

I really wish they'd pick up Buddy Strike, but since they still haven't picked up Straighten Up, it doesn't look good for it.

VLordGTZ

Mob Psycho 100 is getting a TV anime and it's being produced by BONES.

I guess OPM's success has lead to interest in ONE's other series.  I enjoyed what little I've seen of the manga, so I'm looking forward to this.

Spark Of Spirit

VLordGTZ

Well, it's not as bad as if Toei had gotten it.  It still may end up being good but considering how Pierrot handled the pacing in Tokyo Ghoul, I'm not too optimistic.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on December 03, 2015, 12:19:22 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 03, 2015, 09:22:30 AM
Quote from: VLordGTZ on November 19, 2015, 01:36:50 PM
Twin Star Exorcists is getting a TV anime
Uh oh.
Even the poster is fuck-ugly...
Awful perspective, generic coloring, and the faces are off-model.

Throw in the fact that it's Pierrot and you've got one bad first impression.

It's a shame. The series deserved better.