Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Kimetsu no Yaiba (Blade of Demon Destruction)
My Hero Academia
World Trigger
Black Clover

So here's the thing with Kimetsu no Yaiba. It wasn't fast paced. It wasn't highly original. It wasn't a typical Jump series. It was also engaging the whole way. It wasn't gory yet tastefully used the right amount of blood and violence to set the right tone. Not to mention that the single action scene was more interesting than most battle manga battles are. Before I read it, I was wondering what to expect, and didn't see this coming. I don't see this being popular. I don't see Viz running it in the magazine. I'm not even sure if it can outrank anything else in the magazine. But it was good, and it is something I would absolutely read every week. There's a lot of potential, and I hope it gets to see it. Very surprising for a first chapter.

MHA has the big battle getting real out of hand. Everyone knows they're after Bakugo (Well, actually since Midoriya used his nickname, only a handful of people know) which means he and Todoroki now have their hands full. Tetsutetsu looks like he might have been shot, Eijirou looks like he wants to do something, but then there's this mess with Tokoyami and Shoji... Man, every week it just leaves me with wanting to read more.

The battle in World Trigger is hitting its climax, making me wonder just what these invaders really want. Jin said there are only a few minutes left, and most of the invaders were done, so unless the enemies have an ace up their sleeve they're pretty much cooked. But then, why would they invade Border if they knew they would get so overwhelmed? There's gotta be more to it than this.

Not sure what it is about the comedic moments in Black Clover, but Tabata's really good at them. It seems like he's getting better as a whole, which is nice, but he does have some good comedic timing in him. It's still not anything great, but it is enjoyable read. It only outranked Food Wars this week because nothing really happened in Food Wars except set up.

On the other hand, I gotta say everyone in Toriko being okay with Neo committing mass genocide because he's hungry is more than a little odd. Then again, I just don't get Toriko at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, I found this in the comments for the issue. For you One Piece and My Hero Academia fans:

Spoiler
[close]
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #11 (February 22nd, 2016):
Assassination Classroom (Cover, Lead CP, Ending in 5 chapters Announcement)
1- My Hero Academia
2- Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction (Center Color, 25 p.)
3- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
4- Hinomaru Sumo (23 p.)
Haikyu!! (Center Color)
5- World Trigger
Yuna of Yuragi Manor (Not ranked, 23 p.)
Black Clover (Center Color)
6- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club (27 p.)
7- Samon the Summoner
8- Mononofu
Kochikame (Center Color)
9- Nisekoi
10- Gintama
11- Toriko
12- Bleach
Chronicle of Isobe -Life is Hard-
One Piece (Absent)

Like I said, Food Wars and World Trigger have no consistency at all.

Spark Of Spirit

This week:

Kimetsu no Yaiba
My Hero Academia
World Trigger
One-Punch Man

KnY wasn't the best chapter this week, but I do want to see where this is going so I voted it at the top. It does have some potential about it. MHA and WT were typical greatness, and OPM suffered for being short again. It was an easy top 4 for me.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #13 (February 29th, 2016):
One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
1- Haikyu!!
2- My Hero Academia
Assassination Classroom (Center Color)
3- Black Clover
4- Samon the Summoner
5- Gintama
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma (Center Color)
6- Mononofu
Yuna of Yuragi Manor (Not ranked)
7- Toriko
8- Nisekoi
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction (23 p., not ranked)
9- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
10- Hinomaru Sumo (23 p.)
11- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
12- Kochikame
13- World Trigger
14- Bleach
Chronicle of Isobe -Life is Hard-

I think that might be the lowest Hinomaru Sumo has been in ages. Not that I know anything about it, though. Apparently it's not a high seller.

VLordGTZ

Straighten Up is pretty low this week too.  I've heard pretty good things about Hinomaru Sumo.  I think that big reason as to why it has yet to become a higher seller for Jump is that it still doesn't have an anime.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, recently I checked out a relatively new manga which started serializing last year. The story is about a spunky, hyper-active ninja who is looked down on by everyone but wants to become the next Hokage and prove himself despite all of that. He is also an idealist and has a rivalry with a dark-haired kid who is seen as extremely talented by everyone.

It's called Black Clover.

Markness

Anyone keeping up with Nanatsu no Taizai? The current arc has been awesome on so many levels! Nakaba Suzuki is the king of modern shounen manga, IMO. He mixes action and creativity pretty equally and seems to have unlimited inspiration when it comes to making new characters.

VLordGTZ

I've been continuing to keep up with and have been really enjoying the current arc.  The introduction of Escanor as well some of the recent plot developments have made me really interested in how the remainder of the arc will play out.

VLordGTZ

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 27, 2016, 11:17:50 AM
So, recently I checked out a relatively new manga which started serializing last year. The story is about a spunky, hyper-active ninja who is looked down on by everyone but wants to become the next Hokage and prove himself despite all of that. He is also an idealist and has a rivalry with a dark-haired kid who is seen as extremely talented by everyone.

It's called Black Clover.
That's why it took me so long to warm up to it. I still don't think it's great now, but it is compelling enough for a weekly read.