Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteTogashi thinks it is hard to draw special ability based battle manga such as Hunter x Hunter and Naruto these days since audience consider characters' abilities in details and sometimes end up finding its contradictions.
This seems more like something Araki would have an issue with, but it's good to know that its in Togashi's head when he's writing. It means he really thinks about it instead of throwing it out there.

QuoteTogashi decides to make many characters appear in Black Whale arc since he'd like to know what will happen in a chaotic situation. He refers to Oda, who also introduced many characters in one arc (probably implying Marineford Arc).
Hoo boy. You thought the beginning of Chimera Ant was a death-fest? You ain't seen nothing yet.

QuoteKishimoto is now preparing for his next manga. He has been collecting materials. He didn't let his editor know about it so far. Kishimoto says he'd like to announce something about it in 2016.
Make it quick, succinct, and straightforward. Kishimoto cannot do scope, but he succeeds with smaller casts.

QuoteTogashi is impressed at Hirohiko Araki's drawing skill and great storytelling.
They both have a similar sense when it comes to action scenes, so that isn't very surprising.

QuoteTogashi didn't intend to make Hiei into Yusuke's friend in "Yu Yu Hakusho". It was due to advice from his editor. Togashi laughs and says if he intended to do so from the beginning, Hiei wouldn't have been full of eyes.
That was obvious. He did a great job of explaining that part away, and the anime staff cleaned up the remainder.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Wait, there's going to be an arc after Dark Continent?! **DO NOT ANSWER** RHETORICAL STATEMENT** **NO SPOILERS, BITCH**
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm pretty sure that Togashi was referring to the current arc going on in the manga. He just called it something different than Dark Continent since they haven't actually reached their destination yet.

Spark Of Spirit

It's sort of in a sub-arc right now. I guess that's the best way to explain it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

The final chapter of the Bleach manga was released yesterday.

That's it. It's finally over.

LumRanmaYasha

It hasn't "officially" ended until monday. Scans get released a couple days before Jump actually comes out in Japan and the U.S.  :awesome:

Though I generally don't read scans of legally available manga anymore, I went ahead skimmed the chapter. It's a decent ending all things considered. I kinda liked Aizen's speech about courage. If I was still emotionally invested in the characters, I would probably find seeing where everyone ended up and Ichigo and Rukia's kids meeting cathartic. Or maybe not, if the reactions of salty IchiRuki shippers are any indication. :D

LumRanmaYasha

It's a good video, though I felt Nik Freeman's videos from a few years ago as well as his editorial on ANN a couple months ago covered the topic of Bleach's decline in quality more thoroughly. The editorial point is something Josh brought up a couple weeks ago on Manga Mavericks, and definitely, there seems to be a lot of evidence that lends credibility to the speculation that Kubo had a toxic relationship with his editors and the higher-ups at Jump.

It's also interesting to look at that popularity poll ranking graph and see that Bleach's fall from grace in the reader polls really only happened after Aizen was defeated but the series lifelessly kept going with the directionless (and ultimately pointless) Fullbring arc. It's no surprise that was the point Kubo also really started skimping on his art. He probably lost all passion in the series by that point, and the editors probably couldn't care less about what he wrote and drew so long as the volumes continued to sell. They both used each other until Jump finally decided they had gotten all they could out of the franchise and told Kubo to call it quits before he could organically end it on his own terms. Which is his own fault for dragging it out so long, but it's still a depressing narrative to think about, presuming this was in fact what happened.

Spark Of Spirit

Jump Festa reveals some news.

My Hero Academia is getting an anime original episode (written by Horikoshi) and there will be a premiere of a Jump manga that has never gotten an anime adaption before. It's just a special at this point, but may become a series later.

I would have to imagine it's Hinomaru Zumou or Straighten Up. Everything else in the magazine is either too new or already had or has an adaption.

Spark Of Spirit

They wisely toned down the ecchi elements for Love Rush and turned up the Rom Com stuff from the one-shot. This is probably a smart idea to help it last longer in Jump. While it's pretty standard stuff, I have to say its base concept is way better than Nisekoi's was. It's also light years ahead of E-Robot. I'll be reading the next few chapters, either way.

It was good to see Hayama again in Food Wars. It makes sense he would be in the council now, though I would like to know just what he's doing there. Unfortunately, that will have to wait until the next chapter.

I'm glad we're finally gonna get to see what the others are up to in Black Clover. The last arc was pretty action packed and Asta's group needs some down time.

World Trigger was as good as usual. Ikoma Squad is quickly becoming one of my favorite squads. Their banter is very enjoyable.

Unfortunately, I still can't say anything about the Promised Neverland. It still hasn't really shown me anything I can judge. The art is nice and the plot is decent, but that's about it. Can't say I would prefer this in NA Jump over Kimetsu no Yaiba, though.

Never get tired of the MHA color pages. I really hope Midoriya uses his mask more. It really works for him. Really interested to see how this exam goes. With everyone after UA it shouldn't be too difficult for them to get the requirements to pass.

That ending of Bleach was so incredibly rushed, but at least it's over. Kubo needs to go somewhere he can get a stable editor that will keep him in line. I would be surprised if his next work is in Jump.

Next week is the last Jump Start, so I hope Red Sprite is up to the challenge.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, Hayama joining Central doesn't make any immediate sense given how his character was devoted to Jun and her seminar, which would have been (and effectively has been) disbanded by Central. Motive wise, he should be one of the rebels, or at least you would think so. That said, I'm sure that the next few chapters will go into more detail explaining why he joined Central, which is why I'm not really questioning it too much right now.

VLordGTZ

It's funny how I'm more care more about Promised Neverland's Jump Start being over than I am about Bleach finally ending.  Considering how bad Bleach has done in WSJ in recent years and Kubo's (apparently) unfriendly relationship with Jump and Shueisha, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts working with Kodansha or Shogakukan.

VLordGTZ

Silver Spoon is returning from hiatus on August 31st!
Hopefully Arakawa will be able to release the final batch of chapters without having to take another hiatus.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 22, 2016, 09:24:29 AM

My Hero Academia is getting an anime original episode (written by Horikoshi) and there will be a premiere of a Jump manga that has never gotten an anime adaption before. It's just a special at this point, but may become a series later.

I would have to imagine it's Hinomaru Zumou or Straighten Up. Everything else in the magazine is either too new or already had or has an adaption.

It looks like you forgot about Black Clover, Spark. 

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: VLordGTZ on August 24, 2016, 04:12:47 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 22, 2016, 09:24:29 AM

It looks like you forgot about Black Clover, Spark. 
Silly me for thinking they'd wait a little longer for an anime for this one. The days of long waits for anime adaptions are over.

Still think Hinomaru should have one first, though. It's only slightly older than MHA.