Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Things aren't looking great for KnY or SU!. However, with Toriko and Gintama both being in their final battles right now, they might just survive a little while longer if those series end first.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Damn. Kaminari really shined this week. Granted, it was partly thanks to Bakugou's help (another great example of how he really is more hero-material than he lets on), but those were some Joseph Joestar-quality tactics right there.

Spark Of Spirit

MHA volume 10 has been #1 in Japan for two weeks now, and volume 5 has been tearing up the NA charts. I'm glad to see it. That should mean it's sticking around for a while. Same for Food Wars and World Trigger. None of these three are in danger of cancellation any time soon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Though, even being in a safe spot ranking-wise, I could see Food Wars ending on its own terms once the Central arc concludes (which to be fair is a ways off right now). Azami has "final-boss" status written all over him (not to say that Soma will face him directly, but that he'll eventually dismantle his ideologies on cooking), and once the whole Tootsuki conflict is settled, I'm not sure where else the story could possibly go from there.

They are already close to making it into their second years, and while common shonen logic tells you that Soma needs to get good enough to take the first seat, there's no reasonable way that he's going to beat Eishi before he graduates. Competition-style manga don't generally do time-skips either, so I don't think that we'll be getting any story following Soma after he graduates from Tootsuki. Some people have suggested that the characters might compete with other schools, but seeing as how Tootsuki is supposed to be the best culinary school, that doesn't make much sense and wouldn't do anything to change up the dynamic of this series' formula either way (it'd still be 1v1 cooking battles) against opposing characters.

So, yeah, I could certainly see Food Wars ending sometime within the next 2 or 3 years.

Spark Of Spirit

As long as it is able to end on its own terms, I'm fine with it ending. I have a feeling there will be one more big arc after this one, but I can't be sure.

As for Kaminari, that's sort of why I wanted Horikoshi to do more with him. He's basically the Joseph Joestar of the series. Not the most intelligent, but quick witted; goofy, but inventive. Since he's been giving focus to the expanded cast recently, I'm glad he's realizing Kaminari's potential. He's always been the character I wanted to see more done with.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Both Red Sprite and Love Rush are joining the NA Jump line up. So, yeah, all three Jump Starts were added. Which also means there's one more series running than there was before.

Good chapters this week. I'm happy both MHA and World Trigger finished their battles, but it looks like World Trigger will be going straight to Hyuse next. I don't expect this next round to last long.

VLordGTZ

Wow, I wasn't expecting Viz to add all three Jump Starts in this batch.   :SHOCK:

I guess they're more willing to add series now since they want to fill the void of Nisekoi and Bleach.  It's shame Kimetsu no Yaiba hasn't been added yet, but hopefully it will have a chance of joining once Toriko ends if it continues to do well in Japan.

LumRanmaYasha

Loved the Kochikame homages in each series this week. I'm half-tempted to hunt down the other ones from the series not in NA Jump.

The issue itself was pretty great too. All delivering either satisfying pay off or building up to exciting things. Didn't expect both Red Sprite and Love Rush to join the lineup, but they'll add some variety so I'm all for it. This is the first time all the Jump Starts in a round have been added, which makes me curious to see just how long they'll all stick around. 

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #43 (September 26th, 2016):
Gintama (Cover, Lead CP)
1. My Hero Academia
2. One Piece
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (CP)
3. Black Clover
4. The Promised Neverland
5. Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma
6. Haikyuu!!
Taketoritsuki Monogatari (CP, Golden Future Cup Entry #4)
Red Sprite (Not Ranked)
7. Toriko
Yuna of Yuragi Manor (CP)
8. Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
9. World Trigger
Love Rush! (Not Ranked)
10. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
11. Samon the Summoner
12. Hinomaru Zumou
13. Takuan and Batsu's Daily Demon Diary
Chronicle of Isobe -Life is Hard-

Surprising rankings all the way around. It looks like Promised Neverland will be sticking around for a bit longer than I first thought. The only disappointments include Kimetsu no Yaiba at 10 again and Hinomaru Zumou the lowest its ever been (it's lower than KnY has ever been), but otherwise the rest is pretty surprising.

Still, with Kochikame over, and Takuan the first sure cancellation, I'm pretty certain everything is safe this go around.

LumRanmaYasha

I've been loving Promised Neverland, so I'm glad to see it have a strong debut ranking. Hoping it follows up well in the coming weeks. I'm still really worried for Kimetsu no Yaiba, but I'm crossing my fingers it'll make it past the next cancellation round.

VLordGTZ

I'm happy to see that Promised Neverland debuted with a high ranking.  Hopefully, Red Sprite follows suit.  Out of the three jump starts, I think Love Rush is probably going to have the hardest time doing well since it's pretty much competing with Yuna to fill the void left by NisekoiKimetsu no Yaiba isn't ranking ranking too hot but I have hopes that it will have time to recover, especially with Takuan and Samon being on the chopping block.

Spark Of Spirit

The WSJ issue featuring the final chapter of Kochikame has nearly sold out entirely.

That gives an idea of just how popular the series was overall. That's a whole other level from something like Bleach which just came and went.

LumRanmaYasha

It's pretty well loved. The final volume is already being reprinted after only being out for a few days too.

I'm half tempted to pick up that issue of Jump myself for it's historical significance.

VLordGTZ