Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

I could certainly see that as a possibility since that's what happened to D. Gray-man after Hoshino became plagued with injury and illness.  Regardless of what happens, I don't see Jump cancelling the series in the near future.

VLordGTZ

Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro is going to be launching a gag manga in Saikyo Jump (which is bi-monthly) this April.

It's good to see Shimabukuro make a return after Toriko.  Hopefully, Viz will pick up his new series for their free Jump section.  It shouldn't be too much of a hassle since it's only bi-monthly.

Spark Of Spirit

Straighten Up is ending this week.

Thankfully it was allowed a natural end. Not a bad run, though I am surprised it ended before Samon. They sell the same but SU had consistently higher rankings.

Anyway, looks like Amalgam and Demon's Plan will be next to go. Unfortunately Ole Golazo might also get cut though I do think it's a shame. It's the most recent new series that showed some potential.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, that was a gruesome chapter of MHA. The League of Villains now has competition, and they're no joke. Makes me wonder what kind quirk he has as it's very similar to Shigaraki's, except far messier. Something tells me Midoriya is going to have his hands full soon enough. But they were right. Shigaraki does not have the right to make demands of anybody considering how many times he's failed so far and how many top class villains he's lost. Now with All For One out of the picture, there's just as big a power vacuum in the villain world as the hero one. These chapters are so short. I already can't wait until the next one.

All around good set of chapters this week. The Promised Neverland is definitely nearing the escape. Though at this point I'm wondering how it'll go. Especially considering Emma's state.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 06, 2017, 12:53:02 PMWow, that was a gruesome chapter of MHA.

And people actually say that WSJ has gotten soft on us in the violence department. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 06, 2017, 12:58:09 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 06, 2017, 12:53:02 PMWow, that was a gruesome chapter of MHA.

And people actually say that WSJ has gotten soft on us in the violence department. :sly:
Considering it took 125 chapters before Horikoshi delivered something as gory as this is impressive. He didn't need to use it as a crutch for meaningless shock value. Here it comes across as genuinely shocking even though the violence had been ramping up for some time.

Also it sets the tone for this new arc almost as much as the fight with Mirio did. Whatever's coming up is going to be intense.

Spark Of Spirit

Interview with Promised Neverland creators.

Some of Shirai's influences include Naoki Urasawa, Takeshi Obata, Yusei Matsui, Hirohiko Araki in suspense factor, and various others. I definitely get that impression when reading it. Also, we're nearing the end of the escape arc as it should apparently be done by volume 4. Judging by recent events, I guess that should be obvious.

Very interesting tidbits. I can't wait to see where he goes from here.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #11 (February 13th, 2017):
U19 (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1. Black Clover
2. One Piece
Haikyu!! (CP)
3. The Promised Neverland
4. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
We Never Learn (CP)
5. My Hero Academia
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
7. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club (END, 23 p.)
8. Samon the Summoner
9. Gintama
10. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
11. Amalgam of Distortion
12. Spring Weapon No. 1
13. Ole Golazo
14. Demon's Plan
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Next week Kimetsu and Food Wars both get color pages. Nothing really surprising this week other than MHA and Kimetsu being a bit lower than I'd like (these were really good chapters) but everything else is about where I figured they'd be. To be honest, I'm still kinda surprised Straighten Up ended while Samon is still going. Jump must really believe in this series like they do for Hinomaru.

Also, Straighten Up had a natural end since it wasn't placed at the back of the magazine. So, good for it!

Spark Of Spirit

I thought this was cute. Jump heroines Valentine's Day artwork drawn by Shun Saeki of Food Wars:

Spark Of Spirit

Boy was U19 the most bland new series I've seen in a long time. I've seen all this hundreds of times before. Not to mention, the first chapter didn't have much happen at all. Truthfully, We Never Learn is much better than this. Speaking of We Never Learn, the "rom-com" jokes were well timed and the series continues to be enjoyable. I wouldn't mind this one lasting. If there's one obvious series that isn't going to make it among the six so far, it's U19.

MHA was fun. Seeing Bakugo so obviously spiteful was hilarious. I'm also liking Mirio more and more as a character the more he shows up. Finally, it is always good to see all of Midoriya's experiences shapes his choices and what kind of hero he will be. As I've said before, he's my favorite character in the series and he constantly lives up to being that. Then there was the ending of the chapter. That is probably the weirdest ending since the first dorm tour chapter. But it was pretty funny and out there.

Promised Neverland is still at its best. Ray proving why he's my favorite character again here. It's great that the series is selling so well. This means it should stick around for a while. Also a really strong chapter of Food Wars this week.

I'd say my top 4 for this week are pretty obvious.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #12 (February 20th, 2017):
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1. My Hero Academia
2. One Piece
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
3. Haikyu!!
4. Spring Weapon No. 1
U19 (CP)
5. Hinomaru Zumou
6. Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction (CP)
We Never Learn (Not Ranked)
7. The Promised Neverland
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9. Gintama
10. Samon the Summoner
11. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
12. Ole Golazo
Amalgam of Distortion (END)
Demon's Plan (END)
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Wow, two series ending in the same issue. They must have been doing really badly. Unfortunately, it looks like Ole Golazo is certainly the next one out since Spring Weapon has jumped so high up. I'm still confused as to why Samon is still getting chances, though It's even getting a color page next week. Oh well, it is what it is.

What I'm really waiting for are the next three series after this one. I want to see what the vets will do.

VLordGTZ

Damn, Spring Weapon has really skyrocketed up in the rankings.  Meanwhile, Samon doesn't seem to be doing so hot despite being pushed hard by Jump.  I'm guessing Jump doesn't want to give up on Samon so easily since they've given a lot attention to it, but if Spring Weapon continues to do well, I could certainly see them shifting focus towards it rather than Samon.  The Jump Starts that I'm most excited for are definitely the ones by the veteran mangakas, especially since those are the series that have the best chance of surviving against the current competition in Jump.  The only one of the newcomer Jump Starts that I think has a chance of lasting is We Never Learn, and that's only if it manages to somehow usurp Yuna of Yuragi Manor in popularity.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, it would also have to outsell it too. Yuna's been selling over 100k a volume so far. For a series without an anime that's really, really good.

I feel sorry for We Never Learn, but I just don't see it lasting. It might last past the first cancellation round (there are six new series after all) at the very least.

Spark Of Spirit

Okay, no matter what, Zenitsu and Inosuke better stick around for the rest of Kimetsu no Yaiba. I can never get enough of them and combined with Tanjiro and Nezuko, they make a great team.

Spoiler
[close]

Every time those three get together, it's always a hoot.

VLordGTZ

Man, I really need to get around to reading Kimetsu no Yaiba.  It and Hinomaru Sumo are my top priorities for Jump series that I need to read.

Yesterday, I decided to catch up with Ole Golazo since it's been getting regular scans.  It's a real shame that it will be getting cancelled soon since the series is a lot of fun, especially since Banba is a very likable protagonist.  Hopefully, Takamasa Moue gets another chance at serialization soon because I'm definitely interested in seeing more from him. 

I also read through all of Demon's Plan, and my opinion on it is far less positive.  The series seemed to get blander with every chapter, and there wasn't anything particularly interesting outside of Bolo's power.  I'm not surprised that the series ended so quickly, and I won't miss it.