Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I honestly couldn't get into Noah's Notes, myself, and it looks like Japanese readers more or less feel the same way.

VLordGTZ

Currently, Gintama is basically in a very long epilogue.  It's definitely still ending, but Sorachi is taking his time, and I don't think Jump has much desire to rush him.  The second Gintama live-action film debuts in August, so I'm expecting it to end around the time that it premieres.

As a fan of Ikezawa, I'm still holding out hope that Noah's Notes will be successful.  It's position this week isn't too bad, so I guess we'll see if it can creep up higher in the coming weeks.  As far as other series go, I have no idea what's going to happen to Robot x Laserbeam and Act-Age.  Both are selling fine, so both of them moving to Jump+ may very well happen.

On another note, I'm looking forward to reading Momiji no Kisetsu since I'm a sucker for a good competitive board game manga.  :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #25 (May 15th 2018):
Kimi wo Shinryaku Seyo! (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1. Haikyu!!
2. Dr. Stone
3. The Promised Neverland
4. My Hero Academia
5. Black Clover
Momiji no Kisetsu (CP)
6. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
7. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Count Over (CP, One Shot)
8. We Never Learn
9. Act-Age
10. Gintama
11. Hinomaru Zumou
12. Jujutsu Kaisen
13. Noah's Notes
14. Robot X Laserbeam
15. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
16. Ziga
Tomatoy Lycopene

No One Piece this week. Have to say I'm shocked Ziga is the lowest rated of the newest series, and is already dead. Jujutsu Kaisen doing the best of the three is entirely mystifying to me since it is nowhere near their quality in art or plotting. At the same time that is a huge revival for Act-Age. On another note, the sales for Robot X Laserbeam are currently falling and it's rankings here are showing no growth. I'm going to guess that he's been told to just head for the ending at this point. Next week Promised Neverland gets the cover and an important announcement that will almost certainly be for an anime. Food Wars also gets a color page, probably to signal the end of this very drawn out arc.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement that Food Wars will be ending soon. Seeing how this arc ended, I'm not sure where the story could go from here since the top two seats have been defeated and there aren't many people left who could challenge Soma in a big way aside from Erina herself, and that alone is not enough to carry a story. Unless the author plans to do something akin to Hinomaru Zumou and time-skip past the High School stage (which I doubt), there isn't really much left to cover and these last few chapters in particular have a sense of finality to them. At any rate, it might as well end since it's really hard to take this manga seriously anymore.

As for One Piece, as long as this most recent arc was, I really enjoyed it, and I'm really looking forward to the long-awaited Reverie to finally go down.

VLordGTZ

New Jump ToC is out:

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26 (May 22nd 2018):
The Promised Neverland (Cover, Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. Dr. Stone
3. We Never Learn
4. My Hero Academia
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
5. Haikyu!!
6. Gintama
Kimi wo Shinryaku Seyo! (CP)
Momiji no Kisetsu (Not Ranked)
7. Black Clover
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
8. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
9. Jujutsu Kaisen
10. Noah's Notes
11. Act-Age
12. Hinomaru Zumou
13. Ziga
14. Robot×Laserbeam
Tomatoy Lycopene

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #27 (May 29th 2018):
Cover, Lead CP: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Considering that recently registered "Kimetsu" website domain, I wouldn't be surprised if we finally get an anime announcement for KnY when it has the cover next week.

Spark Of Spirit

This issue just revealed the Promised Neverland anime, so I'm hoping the Kimetsu one will be the same for the next issue. Just crossing my fingers that it's a good studio.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Lycopene ended its run in WSJ in issue 26, and will continue in Jump+ starting in July.

Also, Kimetsu no Yaiba is confirmed to have a "Super Important Announcement" in the next issue

Lycopene leaving the magazine is a bit of a surprise.  I wonder if WSJ is going to bring in a new short-form gag manga in the next serialization round or if they're done with the format.  Also the stench of an anime announcement for KnY is intensifying.

Spark Of Spirit

Kimetsu no Yaiba is getting an anime. Details to come.

It's about time. I'm gonna enjoy this and hope it gts the full 24 episode season treatment.

Now to hope Toei and Pierrot stay far away.

VLordGTZ

Based on the kimetsu.com domain registration, the anime appears to be an Aniplex production, so Toei and Pierrot are likely to be off the table.  I hope it turns out well, and provides the series the attention it deserves outside Japan.

VLordGTZ

Oricon's list for the Top 10 best selling manga of the first half of 2018 is out:

1. One Piece                       3.110.049
2. Attack on Titan               2.997.049
3. Seven Deadly Sins          2.769.915
4. Haikyu!                          2.523.071
5. My Hero Academia          2.516.768
6. Kingdom                        2.516.063
7. Black Clover                    2.033.277
8. The Promised Neverland   1.970.504
9. Tokyo Ghoul Re               1.962.722
10. One-Punch Man             1.658.054

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If they handle this right it could be the next big hit for Shonen Jump in the anime market for battle series.

I really do hope that it can be handled by a team of animators who are capable of capturing the manga's unique art style, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Aniplex is worrying if you want to buy it in the future, but as long as Pierrot and Toei aren't anywhere near it then I'm good. On the other hand, I heard Ufotable is working on a Shuiesha anime, so this might be it. They do have a style that could work with the series, though the combat is very visceral and up close and personal with reliance on little details. Not realy sure who would be best with that but it sure wouldn't be Pierrot or Toei.

The series needs a good anime. It's so very close to being a hit, and this is the push it needs to break into the mainstream. After OP and MHA, it's got the most potential to really crack the market as an action series.

And I just realized that with this every older series currently running in Jump is getting or has an anime. No Psyren situation this time. Looks like they're learning to really go all out with it. Here's hoping Sunday remembers this with Souboutei after Karakuri Circus comes out.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 30, 2018, 04:19:24 PM
Aniplex is worrying if you want to buy it in the future, but as long as Pierrot and Toei aren't anywhere near it then I'm good. On the other hand, I heard Ufotable is working on a Shuiesha anime, so this might be it. They do have a style that could work with the series, though the combat is very visceral and up close and personal with reliance on little details. Not realy sure who would be best with that but it sure wouldn't be Pierrot or Toei.

Confirmation that Spark can predict the future!  :huh:

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #27 (May 29th 2018):
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Cover, Lead CP, Anime Announcement)
1. One Piece
2. Dr. Stone
3. We Never Learn
4. Haikyu!!
5. Black Clover
The Promised Neverland (CP)
6. Gintama
7. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
Boruto (CP)
8. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Kimi wo Shinryaku Seyo! (Not Ranked)
9. My Hero Academia
10. Hinomaru Zumou
11. Act-Age
12. Noah's Notes
13. Jujutsu Kaisen
14. Robot X Laserbeam
15. Ziga

Next week MHA gets the cover but the color pages are all reserved for specials and one shots. That should give a clearer picture of the real general rankings. Shame about Ziga not taking off at all, but RxL still lingers at the bottom and Jujutsu Kaisen finally drops under Noah's Notes. It doesn't look like any of the newer ones are going to be hits. I've heard Act-Age has showed signs of ending despite it clinging to life so who knows at this point. But the big new is the KnY anime announcement! It's been a long time coming and is well deserved. I'm definitely hyped for that.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #28 (June 5th 2018):
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead CP)
1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. One Piece
3. Dr. Stone
4. Haikyu!!
5. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
6. We Never Learn
World Leader Mamoru (CP, One Shot)
7. Black Clover
Kimi wo Shinyarku Seyo! (Not Ranked)
8. Act-Age
9. The Promised Neverland
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Shinmai Nitta-ism (CP, Special Chapter)
Mukidashi no Hakuchou (CP, Special Chapter)
11. Gintama
12. Hinomaru Zumou
13. Jujutsu Kaisen
14. Noah's Notes
15. Robot X Laserbeam
16. Ziga

That random TPN dip is weird. The series has been on fire recently. Otherwise it looks like Act-Age might be getting into a groove while the other three series aren't looking too hot. Every other series is about where you'd expect it to be except for KnY hitting #1 which is good news, especially considering the recent anime announcement. Robot is still doing really badly, though. I would say the last four series here are the most likely candidates for cancellation aside from the two new ones. Every other series has too much of an advantage, especially with an anime running or on the way. Next week Black Clover gets the cover.