Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, what do people think of the current arc of KnY? It's impressive how quickly things escalated in the span of just a few chapters. Every single week keeps throwing new and unexpected (but convincing and well thought-out) surprises at me that the tension is really effective as I genuinely don't know what to expect going forward.

I like how Muzan isn't just a powerful main antagonist. He's also very crafty and is more likely to take out opponents by surprise as opposed to just having pure brute strength (though, he is also obviously very powerful and physically difficult to kill).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I subscribed to Viz's new monthly service since it's a good deal. That said, could anyone explain why the android app (and presumably other versions of the app) lacks a basic search function, or even a reading list queue of any kind? I mean, it does at least save the page that you were on, but it's kind of ludicrous that so much as exiting the screen, even briefly, will automatically reset me to the home page and I have to manually select several options to get back to what I was reading. I'm interested in supporting the industry which is why I've subscribed, but if the official reading source is more of a hassle to use than illegal sites, it's not exactly going to help fight piracy when it comes to other people.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 17, 2018, 12:57:10 PM
So, what do people think of the current arc of KnY? It's impressive how quickly things escalated in the span of just a few chapters. Every single week keeps throwing new and unexpected (but convincing and well thought-out) surprises at me that the tension is really effective as I genuinely don't know what to expect going forward.

I like how Muzan isn't just a powerful main antagonist. He's also very crafty and is more likely to take out opponents by surprise as opposed to just having pure brute strength (though, he is also obviously very powerful and physically difficult to kill).
I'm loving the current arc, personally.  Like you said, the surprises and tension just keeps building up with every chapter and it's making it such a fantastic read.  I'm a bit surprised that we're seeing Muzan confront Tanjiro and The Pillars so soon, though based on the most recent chapter, it appears as though he's splitting everyone up, so maybe they'll have to deal with the remaining Upper Moons instead.  In any case, I'm as invested as ever in the series, and it's easily still one of my favorite ongoing manga.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 18, 2018, 07:20:00 PM
So, I subscribed to Viz's new monthly service since it's a good deal. That said, could anyone explain why the android app (and presumably other versions of the app) lacks a basic search function, or even a reading list queue of any kind? I mean, it does at least save the page that you were on, but it's kind of ludicrous that so much as exiting the screen, even briefly, will automatically reset me to the home page and I have to manually select several options to get back to what I was reading. I'm interested in supporting the industry which is why I've subscribed, but if the official reading source is more of a hassle to use than illegal sites, it's not exactly going to help fight piracy when it comes to other people.
I have an iPhone, so I can't really speak for the quality of the Android app, but the IOS app has a search feature and doesn't boot you to the home page.  I'm not sure why those features aren't on the Android, but I hope they do fix it since it seems to be a common complaint online.  A proper reading queue would also be nice. So far my experience with the new service has been pretty good.  There are certainly some kinks that need to be sorted out on the browser version, but it seems like they'll be stabilized based on what Jeff Rudberg said on Twitter yesterday (as well as Lum and I's interview with him this past weekend).  The back-catalogue chapter vault is also very impressive.  It has some glaring omissions like OPM and HxH (which is weird since they simulpub those already), so hopefully those will get added over time.  Overall though, I'm happy with what the service is offering, and the sheer amount of manga that it has is hard to refuse.

On an unrelated note, I wonder where Spark ran off to.  He hasn't been online in a while....

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #4/5
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. One Piece
3. Haikyu!!
4. Jujutsu Kaisen
5. Black Clover
Hell Warden Higuma (CP)
6. Act-Age
7. My Hero Academia
Boruto (CP)
Chainsaw-man
I'm From Japan
ne0;lation
8. Dr. Stone
Hinomaru Sumo (CP)
9. We Never Learn
10. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
11. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Teenage Renaissance! David

Pretty normal ToC for as of late.  One Piece has the cover and Lead CP next week, with The Promised Neverland and Dr. Stone having color pages.  Ryuhei Tamura (Beelzebub, Hungry Marie) will also have a one-shot.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #6/7
One Piece (Lead CP)
1. Jujutsu Kaisen
2. Haikyuu!!
3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Black Clover
The Promised Neverland (CP)
Chainsaw-man
ne0;lation
Jump G-1 Grand Prix (One Shot)
Dr. Stone (CP)
5. Act-Age
6. We Never Learn
Rappa Rendan (CP, One Shot)
Hell Warden Higuma
7. My Hero Academia
8. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
9. Hinomaru Sumo
10. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
I'm From Japan

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #8
The Promised Neverland (Cover, Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. Dr. Stone
3. Act-Age
4. My Hero Academia
5. Haikyu!!
Jujutsu Kaisen (CP)
6. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Hell Warden Higuma
Hakutei no Erica (CP, One Shot)
7. Black Clover
I'm From Japan
ne0;lation
Chainsaw-man
We Never Learn (CP)
8. Hinomaru Sumo
9. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #9, 2019
My Hero Academia (Cover/LCP)
1. Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. Dr. Stone
3. The Promised Neverland
4. Black Clover
Haikyu!! (CP)
5. Jujutsu Kaisen
6. Act-Age
Boruto
ne0;lation
Undead+Unluck (CP/Oneshot/47p) by Tozuka Yoshifumi
Hell Warden Higuma
Chainsaw Man
7. We Never Learn
8. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotprings (CP)
9. Hinomaru Zumo
Jimoto ga Japan

Issue #10 Preview
Cover/LCP: Act-Age (24p)
CP: Hinomaru Sumo; Mondai no Ooi Ryouriten (Oneshot/20p) by Aso Shuichi (The Disastrous Life of Saiki K); Gold Kid ~Kindo to Yobareta Shougakusei~ (Oneshot/31p) by Osada Kennosuke

VLordGTZ

Shueisha has launched its own global manga app/site called Manga Plus to simulpublish titles internationally!

It contains the following series:
QuoteOngoing Series
ONE PIECE
The Promised Neverland
Jujutsu Kaisen - Sorcery Fight
My Hero Academia
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Haikyu!!
Black Clover
Chainsaw Man
Hinomaru Sumo
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
ne0;lation
I'm From Japan
BORUTO
We Never Learn
Dr. Stone
act-age
Hunter × Hunter (Suspended)
Hell Warden Higuma
Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign
Blue Exorcist
Platinum End
World Trigger
Dragon Ball Super
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V
Terra Formars
Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku
Summertime Render
Nano Hazard
The Sign of Abyss
Blue Flag
Abyss Rage
LAND ROCK
Soloist in A Cage
Curtain's up, I'm off
Spotless Love: This Love Cannot Be Any More Beautiful.
Dricam!!
Moon Land
Dricam

Completed Series
NARUTO
Bakuman.
Rosario + Vampire
Nisekoi
Claymore
Tokyo Ghoul
ONE PIECE Part 1
Assassination Classroom
DEATH NOTE
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story
Bleach
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Series that are currently licensed by Viz will use the same simulpub translation that is on the Shonen Jump service while other titles (Hinomaru Sumo, David, I'm From Japan, etc) will be done by Media Do.  This is HUGE!

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #10, 2019
Act-Age (LCP & Cover)
1. One Piece
2. Dr. Stone
3. Black Clover
4. My Hero Academia
Mondai no Ooi Ryoriten (CP/Oneshot/20p) by Asou Shuichi
5. Jujutsu Kaisen
6. The Promised Neverland
7. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
8. Chainsaw Man
Hell Warden Higuma
I'm From Japan
9. We Never Learn
ne0;lation
Gold Kid ~Kindo to Yobareta Shougakusei~ (CP/Oneshot/31p) by Osada Kennosuke
Hinomaru Sumo (CP)
11. Haikyu!!
12. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
13. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #10, 2019
Cover & Lead CP: Yuuna & We Never Learn Collaboration
CPs: Food Wars; Jujutsu Kaisen

Seems like Chainsaw Man is placing decently in the ToC for now, which is a good sign.  I'm curious to see how ne0;lation and Higuma perform in the coming weeks.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #11, 2019
We Never Learn (Collab LCP, Cover)
Yuuna x Saotome Shimai wa Manga no Tame nara!? Collaboration
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings (Collab LCP, Cover)
1. Haikyu
2. One Piece
Jujutsu Kaisen (CP)
3. The Promised Neverland
4. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. Dr. Stone
6. Black Clover
Seigan no Yamato (Oneshot by  Miho Tanaka)
7. My Hero Academia
J Romcom Festival
Teenage Renaissance David
8. Act-Age
Hell Warden Higuma
9. Chainsaw Man
10. ne0;lation
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma (CP)
11. Hinomaru Sumo
I'm From Japan

EDIT:
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #12, 2019
Cover/LCP: Haikyu
CPs: The Promised Neverland, I'm From Japan
Fantasies (Oneshot by Gen Osuka)

Not looking good for Chainsaw Man and ne0;lation with them being so low in the ToC, though if Act-Age and Jujutsu have taught us anything, nothing is certain until we see the volume sales.  On a side note, with the exception of Yuuna (which I'm still 15 or so chapters behind on), I'm now caught up on every series in WSJ!  Manga Plus simulpubbing David, Japan, and Hinomaru was a dream come true!  ;D

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #12, 2019
Haikyu!! (Cover & Lead CP)
1. Dr. Stone
2. One Piece
3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. My Hero Academia
5. Hinomaru Sumo
6. Act-Age
7. We Never Learn
FANTASIES (Oneshot, CP)
8. Black Clover
I'm From Japan (Anime visual)
9. Jujutsu Kaisen
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
11. Chainsaw Man
12. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
13. Hell Warden Higuma
14. ne0;lation

#13:
Cover & Lead CP: Dr. Stone
CP: Boruto, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Maken Kaji-shi Handago (Oneshot by Nakano Shinobu)

Things aren't looking good for Higuma and ne0;lation.  Chainsaw Man is banking low in the ToC as well, but it being above Food Wars does make me suspect that it might hold out longer than the other two. 

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump #13:
Dr. Stone (Cover, Lead CP)
1. The Promised  Neverland
2. One Piece
3. Haikyu!!
4. Black Clover
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
5. We Never Learn
6. Hinomaru Sumo
7. Jujutsu Kaisen
Maken Kaji-shi Handago (CP, One Shot)
8. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
9. Act-Age
Boruto (CP)
10. Hell Warden Higuma
11. Chainsaw Man
12. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
13. ne0;lation
Jimoto ga Japan
My Hero Academia (Absent)

Weekly Shonen Jump #14:
Cover, Lead CP, New Series: Saigo no Saiyuuki by Nonoue Daijiro (Muto Black)
CP: The Promised Neverland, Jujutsu Kaisen, Teenage Renaissance! David

Weekly Shonen Jump #15:
Cover, Lead CP, New Series: Kamioyui wa Kami o Yui by Hiroshi Shiibashi (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan)

Looks like the new serialization round is starting much sooner than I expected.  I wonder what's going to get the axe.....

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #14, 2019
The Last Saiyuki (Cover, Lead CP, New Series by Daigoro Nonoue)
1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. My Hero Academia
3. Haikyu
4. Black Clover
5. Dr. Stone
6. Act-Age
Jujutsu Kaisen (CP)
7. We Never Learn
8. Hinomaru Sumo
9. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Teenage Renaissance! David (CP)
10. Chainsaw Man
11. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
12. Hell Warden Higuma
13. ne0;lation
I'm From Japan

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #15, 2019

Cover & Lead CP: Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui (New Series) by Hiroshi Shiibashi
CP: Hinomaru Sumo; We Never Learn; The Last Saiyuki

Nothing ended this week, likely since it's an off week for One Piece, but I'm guessing Ne0 and/or Higuma will get axed next week.

VLordGTZ

I read first chapter of The Last Saiyuki yesterday, and I liked it quite a bit.  It has more of a WSS vibe than what you'd expect from a WSJ manga, which is refreshing to see.  I think it has a lot of potential, so hopefully it will stick around.  In other news, it seems like Chainsaw Man's first volume is having a strong debut, so that's a good sign for its longevity.