Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Justin Cook as Knuckle would break the universe in two, probably.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was thinking of Chris Sabat as Knuckle since he reminds me more of Kuwabara.

I could also see Eric Vale doing a good Leorio. I'd need to think about the rest, though.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, that's a no-brainer. :D

Hisoka is an odd one. I have no idea who could really play him in English.

LumRanmaYasha

I'd say either Steve Blum or Vic Mignogna would be good choices for him.

Spark Of Spirit

I could have even gone more obvious with Robert McCollum as Chrollo.

But Hisoka is probably the hardest one to cast. Maybe Chris Sabat would work as he tends to always fit for hard to cast characters.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, if there's any role that Justin Cook should play, it would have to be Ging, for obvious reasons. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 03, 2015, 05:02:17 PM
I'd say either Steve Blum or Vic Mignogna would be good choices for him.

Funny enough, I was actually just thinking about Steve Blum being a good choice since he has done great villain roles outside of just anime, like Green Goblin from TSSM and Amon from TLOK,  plus he can do a good psychotic voice like Orochimaru from Naruto (I'm not saying that I like the show or character, but rather Blum's performance alone).

I could see him pulling it off.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Steven Blum should be Meruem and Vic Mignogna should be Kaito.

In my opinion, anyway.

LumRanmaYasha

Well, the first episode of the Soma anime was disappointing. I should have known not to trust J.C. Staff to not play up the fanservice or execute the material with the same energy and humor of the manga. Adding in excessive boob shots, making the tentacle scene like 30 seconds long with a lot of creepy imagery, and extending the over the top foodgasm moments too much...they've seem to have completely missed what made them work, and amusing, in the manga.

I can probably expect similar mediocrity from the Yamada-kun adaption. I think I really need to stop getting hyped for the anime adaptions of manga I like. There hasn't been one that didn't disappoint me in a long time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

J.C. Staff also did the Bakuman anime, which I consider to be a massive screwup of an adaptation, so, I'm not surprised.

In general, very few modern adaptations of long-running shonen anime truly get it right, anymore. Gone are the days of AnJ/2, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter '99, Hajime no Ippo, and other long series adaptations where good directors and writers actually improve upon the source material in meaningful ways, or even at least do enough interesting stuff to make for a worthwhile watch even if you have read the manga already, like with Dragon Ball.

Now we have mostly adaptations that, at best, are safe copy/paste adaptations of their source material without any mind to try and take some creative liberties to improve upon it or at least make it feel a little different. Hunter X Hunter '11 and Magi are goid examples of that. They make maybe a couple of positive or negative changes, and the rest is just a carbon-copy of the manga.

Of course there are always exceptions, like with Haikyuu, but a good adaptation of a so-so manga is hardly anything to celebrate, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, in all of Bakuman's problems can be seen with the first OP. It had next to nothing to do with the actual story.

Foggle

I thought the Magi anime was supposed to be fairly different from the manga.

But yeah, you can blame the internet for how most modern adaptations either play it safe or amp up the fanservice. Anime fans are quick to anger at the slightest alteration to the source material... unless it lets them see more bouncing boobs, of course.

LumRanmaYasha

There are a couple of changed scenes and minor alterations to how things happen in the Magi anime (mostly in the first season, where quite a bit of the first arc and the last arc were overhauled), but it still follows the same basic story of the manga. The changes are often more ways of abridging the material than genuinely improving it, though I think the first season of the anime does actually improve on those two arcs it significantly changed.