Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Lady Justice doesn't appear to be doing all that hot. Would you consider it in danger?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Oh yeah. It's a pretty safe bet that it'll be the next series to be axed.

It won't be much of a loss, honestly. I checked it out and it's a pretty mediocre ecchi-action series. I can see why Viz didn't bother to run it as a Jump Start.

Spark Of Spirit

Considering the caliber of everything else in the magazine I guess it would be the obvious weak link. Other than you-know-what, anyway.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

You got me to spend money on a yearly subscription. I hope you're happy!

LumRanmaYasha

Spark Of Spirit

I did. I read your review after I read through each series.

My thoughts are pretty dead on with yours outside of the series I'm not familiar with yet, but MHA was easily my favorite. World Trigger was easy to jump into since the anime pretty much caught me up as did your previous chapters in this series. I ranked them at the top.

The other two I ranked were Dragon Ball and Twin Star Exorcists. Dragon Ball for obvious reasons, but Twin Star surprised me. Like you, whenever I see a supernatural manga nowadays my eyes glaze over. I don't know how good the series will be, but considering it made me go from rolling my eyes to actually paying attention in a first chapter I thought it deserved the vote.

Here's hoping these series keep it up.

LumRanmaYasha

Cool! I'm glad you liked them.  :) Did you vote on the MHA character poll, by any chance?

Twin Stars was certainly an interesting one. Since there don't seem to be too many chapters out, I might try to catch up on it when I'm done with some other stuff I've been reading. There hasn't been much out of Jump Square in recent years that's appealed to me, nor in the supernatural subgenre of battle-shonen for that matter, but this series could potentially be an exception if it's executed right.

Also, are you planning to catch up on any of the series you weren't familiar with, or are you just going to read them from where they are now?

Spark Of Spirit

I decided to start from where they are. They were all surprisingly easy to jump into, except Toriko, which bodes well for the future. I'll probably go back and read the ones I like when the official volumes come out or I can catch them in a sale.

My vote in the MHA poll was not all too out there. I voted for Midoriya. I honestly really like him as the main character. :sweat:

LumRanmaYasha

Cool.  :) Luckily most of the series are at the end of an arc or near the beginning of a new one right now, so it should be relatively easy to pick up on what's going on in them.

Midoriya's a great protagonist, so good choice there!  ;)

Spark Of Spirit

So many years later . . .

And D.Gray-Man still sucks.

VLordGTZ

As a person who used to enjoy the early parts of D. Gray-Man, the series has become overly convoluted and idiotic.  Sadly, I'm already expecting Viz to announce that it will be added to their WSJ release once its Jump Back ends.  D. Gray-Man is still fairly popular, and since it's now a quarterly manga, it will probably be less of hassle to add to the magazine as compared to a weekly series like Assassination Classroom or Straighten Up.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 04, 2015, 05:54:51 PM

Are you referring to the newest chapter, or the Jump Back run of the first chapter in this week's WSJ?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 04, 2015, 10:00:13 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 04, 2015, 05:54:51 PM

Are you referring to the newest chapter, or the Jump Back run of the first chapter in this week's WSJ?
Jump Back.

The direction is awful, the dialogue literally narration with no characterization, and that messy early '00s art style that instantly turns me off still . . . turns me off. I thought maybe reading it again after so many years might change my opinion, but it really doesn't. It's one of the worst first chapters to a popular manga I've ever read. Really can't stand it.

Unfortunately, it looks like they're prepping to add it to Jump again. Couldn't they add something, anything else? Straighten Up? Haikyu? Best Blue? . . . ANYTHING ELSE?

VLordGTZ

They could add New Prince of Tennis:>