Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

While I like it, I also think it's easily her weakest series and doesn't compare to her previous comedies. So if you didn't get much out of Ranma, you'd probably get even less out of Rin-ne.

But yeah, I think she could make a great space adventure/opera series, which would be fun since her last attempt at something like that was Maris, which made me feel that she could make a pretty fun Dirty Pair or Cobra-esque series. Really, so long as it's just something that doesn't involve high schoolers with love problems getting involved in supernatural shenanigans again, I think there'd be a lot of potential in just about anything she'd make. She's tackled pretty much every genre in her career at least once in some way or another, and she's done them well, so I just think she should try something different.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 10, 2015, 08:44:29 PM
While I like it, I also think it's easily her weakest series and doesn't compare to her previous comedies. So if you didn't get much out of Ranma, you'd probably get even less out of Rin-ne.

But yeah, I think she could make a great space adventure/opera series, which would be fun since her last attempt at something like that was Maris, which made me feel that she could make a pretty fun Dirty Pair or Cobra-esque series. Really, so long as it's just something that doesn't involve high schoolers with love problems getting involved in supernatural shenanigans again, I think there'd be a lot of potential in just about anything she'd make. She's tackled pretty much every genre in her career at least once in some way or another, and she's done them well, so I just think she should try something different.
Ugh, yeah. My least favorite anime/manga anything.

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 11, 2015, 07:08:15 PM
The first two volumes of One-Punch Man have debuted in the U.S. as the #1 and #2 best-selling manga of week!
AWESOME-SAUCE!!!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I guess that answers that. Still, it is her least popular series, so I wonder how many seasons it will get. She does tend to run her series very long.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, not only did Tamakoma lose: they were slaughtered. It wasn't even close. Yuma simply couldn't carry the whole team on his own. Looks like they'll have to come back from that one, Mikumo has to shoulder his weight. But asking Jin to join Tamakoma 2? Wouldn't that be a bit unfair for every other team to have such a high ranking agent on their team? I'm guessing he's going to suggest you-know-who for the team instead. That would be interesting!

Food Wars! just upped the ante on the school. Looks like the council betrayed the school. I'm surprised by how the story never manages to get dull.

Speaking of not getting dull, that was a pretty good fight scene in Nisekoi. Better than anything I've seen in Bleach in a long time, and that series specializes in fights.

Midoriya's come a long way in MHA, but he still isn't there yet. I can't wait for next week when we'll finally learn everything about One For All and hopefully the series villain.

Then there's Psyren. I'm surprised at how well it holds up even in the early chapters that are basically a better and less gory version of Gantz. There's a lot of mystery and action even in this chapter that is basically entirely set up for the first "game". It just makes me sad that Kagamigami is not lighting itself on fire yet. Iwashiro has a lot of talent.

My rankings for this week:

1. My Hero Academia
2. World Trigger
3. Food Wars!
4. Psyren

I would have put Nisekoi at #5 if only for that fight scene, but since the series is not usually like that it wouldn't have felt like a true rating. Not to mention we can only rank 4 series. All in all, great issue. Can't wait for next week.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: VLordGTZ on September 14, 2015, 03:34:52 AM
The Rin-ne anime has been confirmed for a second season in Spring 2016.

Hey, if it means that we get to see Renge, Matsugo, Suzu, and the Black Cat Ranking Exam animated, I'm all for it. Especially since the second season should cover the manga's best material so far. Though, my desire to see Takahashi move on from the series and do something better and different still stands.

LumRanmaYasha

Here are the rankings for the September 21st issue of Weekly Shonen Jump:

Samon the Summoner (Cover, Lead CP, New Series, 40 p.)
One Piece (Not ranked. Was absent in issue #35)
1- My Hero Academia
2- Assassination Classroom
Mononofu (Center Color, 25 p.)
3- Hinomaru Sumo
4- Black Clover
Haikyu!! (Center Color)
5- Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
6- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
Bakuman age13 (Special Chapter, Center Color, 23 p.)
7- Gintama
8- Toriko
9- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
10- World Trigger
11- Kochikame
12- Nisekoi
13- Best Blue
14- Bleach
15- Kagamigami
The Story of Isobe Isobee

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

Vinland Saga is getting an anime! A web anime. Which will be a series of shorts. And a crossover with a gag manga called Ponkotsu Quest. Yeah.

I really hope this wasn't the big announcement they were teasing, though it probably is. Well...fuck it. If someone subs it, I'll at least check it out.

In other news, Magi is entering it's final arc. Whoa, I really need to catch up again. I've been behind on all non-Jump manga for months now. And from what Vlord's been telling me, Magi's been on one heck of an upswing recently, so I'm hoping it's really back on track and stepping up it's game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, maybe this could be a mere step towards getting more people aware of Vinland Saga's existence, and perhaps it might raise its popularity enough for a new anime.

Really, though, like I said before, I'd rather wait until the manga completely wraps up before it gets an anime adaptation, so I'm not really bummed out about it not getting one just yet.

And I also need to catch up on Magi when I have more time.

LumRanmaYasha

Dang, the last couple of weeks have been strong, but this week's Jump was really exceptional. I had a really hard time narrowing down what I wanted to chose for the survey, and I'm still second guessing myself. Though, I do have mixed feelings on the new Jump Start, but I'll expand upon that in the issue review.

But I must say, Mononofu is shaping up really well. And judging by the enthusiasm for it on the WSJ podcast, it just might have a chance of getting into the lineup once it's Jump Start run finishes. I don't want to say for sure until I see what chapter 3 brings to the table, but I think this one could be a keeper.

Spark Of Spirit

I wasn't much of a fan of the Jump Start either. Didn't do much for me at all. Also, I can't explain what it was exactly but the art rubbed me wrong. I'm more of a writer type so I'm not all that good with narrowing down art issues but it just seemed off to me.

Mononofu has been surprising so far. I'm glad it seems to have a more character focus than I was initially expecting. Reminds me a lot of Hikaru no Go, and I don't just mean the game aspect.

Bleach was Bleach. That either means it was awful or nothing of value happened. I'm sure next week will prove the latter to be the case which helps it become the former.

MHA had a great chapter explaining the origin of One For All, which continued its streak of great chapters. Not only do we have an idea of who the big bad is, but also that All Might will probably not be there to face it with Midoriya. It had a bit of comedy, but it was a pretty heavy chapter. Stain was only the first part of the plan after all.

I like that we had a Bakuman prequel, as it's more Bakuman, but I really wanted an epilogue chapter. A lot of the side stories never really got fully resolved. Still, it was nice. Nice touch showing clips from HxH, Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto, when Shujin was thinking about manga since those were the biggest manga at the time this chapter takes place. Not to mention Eyeshield 21 being the inspiration for him to work in a writer/artist team. They really are good with the details. Also seeing Hiramaru's job was a kick. As bad as he made being a mangaka look, his old job was way worse.

Shame about World Trigger being off next week, but at least it was a good chapter to give a bit of closure to the last match. I'm pretty sure the potential teammate is Hyuse, though.

"I will follow you my entire life, Head Chef!" might be the best thing to ever come out of Black Clover. Such a good line.

Food Wars! looks like it will be going in an interesting direction. Can't wait to see where this leads. Kind of parallels what is going on in MHA a little, no?

Good to see Nisekoi continuing on with this storyline. It's been quite a good read for a while now. Tachibana's mother's logic would fry the brains of everyone in Seraph of the End. "You mean a half-baked emotional argument isn't enough? I have to use my brains to out-think her?"

Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't really have much this week. There isn't really anything to say.

Early Psyren has more of a horror bent than later and it really shows in this chapter. No one listens to the one person telling them to stay away from the monsters and they refuse to listen. It's still a really strong start for a surprisingly good series.

Great issue this week. Really good.

LumRanmaYasha

Ohba and Obata's next series, Platinum End, will debut in Jump Square on November 4th. This is almost sure to be run in the english Shonen Jump as well. It's been a while since Ohba and Obata have worked on a manga together, so I'm very keen on seeing what they've got up next. The premise and key visual sort of gives me a Reversi vibe. Hmm....

In other news, the second season of the Assassination Classroom anime has been confirmed for January. Which was when I expected it would air, so natch.

LumRanmaYasha

Here are the rankings for the September 28th issue of Weekly Shonen Jump:

Haikyu!! (Cover, Lead CP)
1- Assassination Classroom
2- One Piece
Samon the Summoner (Center Color, 25 p.)
3- Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
4- My Hero Academia
5- Hinomaru Sumo
6- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
Mononofu (23 p., not ranked)
Black Clover (Center Color)
7- Toriko
8- Nisekoi
Bakuman age14 (Special Chapter, Center Color, 24p.)
9- Gintama
10- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
11- Bleach
12- Kochikame
13- Kagamigami
14- Best Blue
The Story of Isobe Isobee