Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Well, my rankings for this week are pretty obvious. MHA, World Trigger, Food Wars!, and One Punch Man, were clearly the best this week with Nisekoi rounding it out. Overall though, it was a pretty good issue. Even Bleach was slightly entertaining.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

My favorite of the issue was definitely Nisekoi. While certainly not an atypical resolution for how these kinds of scenarios tend to go in manga, I still found it very well-executed, tangibly emotional, and incredibly satisfying. Really looking forward to how things will play out next.

It was a short, but satisfying issue overall. I didn't get much out of the Bleach chapter, but it was passable. The best I can say about it is that it wasn't the worst chapter in the issue, since I thought that Toriko chapter was really poorly handled, but with what I'm sure is going on with that series now, I can really only be disappointed that Shimabukuro wasn't given the time he needed to execute the arc the way he wanted to.

LumRanmaYasha

No official confirmation yet, but yeah, I think it's safe to say a My Hero Academia anime will be coming in 2016. Most likely in the spring season, given the history of turnarounds in the past. Hopefully a good studio gets it.

LumRanmaYasha

Oh, and here are the rankings for the October 26th issue of Weekly Shonen Jump:

Isobe Isobee Monogatari (Cover and Lead CP, announcement of an Anime and Stage Play in 2016)
1- One Piece
2- My Hero Academia
3- Assassination Classroom
4- Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma
5- Black Clover
Samon the Summoner (not ranked)
Takuan to Batsu no Nichijou Enma-chou (One Shot, 47 pages)
6- The Disaster of PSI Kusuo Saiki
Haikyuu!! (Center Color)
7- Gintama
8- Hinomaru Zumo
9- Kochikame
10- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
Mononofu (Center Color)
11- Toriko
12- Nisekoi
13- World Trigger
14- Bleach
15- Kagamigami
16- Best Blue

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 22, 2015, 07:06:11 PM
No official confirmation yet, but yeah, I think it's safe to say a My Hero Academia anime will be coming in 2016. Most likely in the spring season, given the history of turnarounds in the past. Hopefully a good studio gets it.
*Crosses fingers* MappaandNishimuraMappaandNishimuraMappaandNishimuraMappaandNishimura Please please please.

Who am I kidding? It'll be Toei.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

If Toei gets their hands on another good WSJ series...... :burn: :burn: :burn:

Spark Of Spirit

Not to go off the current topic but, here's a poll of Top Ten series manga fans have dropped which I thought interesting. Some of these are pretty obvious, of course.

Spoiler
Honorable mentions: Attack on Titan (Currently 17 volumes), Golgo 13 (Currently 177 volumes), Hajime no Ippo (Currently 111 volumes), and Yu-Gi-Oh! (38 volumes)

10. Kindaichi Case Files by Yozaburo Kanari, Seimaru Amagi, and Fumiya Sato (Currently 71 volumes)
09. Gintama by Hideaki Sorachi (Currently 60 volumes)
08. / 07. Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You by Karuho Shiina (Currently 24 volumes) and Glass Mask by Suzue Miuchi (Currently 49 volumes) (Tie)
06. Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto. (72 volumes)
05. Oishinbo by Tetsu Kariya and Akira Hanasaki (Currently 111 volumes)
04. Hunter x Hunter by Yoshihiro Togashi (Currently 32 volumes)
03. Kochikame by Osamu Akimoto (Currently 196 volumes)
02. One Piece by Eiichiro Oda (Currently 79 volumes)
01. Detective Conan / Case Closed by Gosho Aoyama (Currently 87 volumes)
[close]

The only glaring omission to me is Bleach. I really thought it would be #1 or #2.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't think that anyone can argue against the fact that both Hunter X Hunter and One Piece have seen better days....but putting them above Naruto with how bad that got during the last few years of its run?

And how is Bleach completely absent from this list? Then again, if the implication is that it was never really that good of a series to begin with, and thus a drop in quality doesn't phase people that much, then I could totally agree with its lack of presence here. :sly:

Hajime no Ippo is a simple case. It's just been going on for way too long, with a lot of unnecessary padding and teasing at big events from Morikawa. At this point he really just needs to bring the manga to its obvious final two story arcs that need to take place before it ends. It's not that people aren't interested anymore. Rather, everyone is just tired of waiting for so long without much substance to show for it.

LumRanmaYasha

Technically, it's a list of series people stopped buying, not stopped reading. Which, considering the length of most of those both in terms of years running and number of volumes, is pretty understandable. It is odd that Bleach isn't on the list either way, considering how dramatically sales for it drop on a per year basis. It's also interesting that Attack on Titan is an honorable mention even though it has relatively few volumes out compared to the rest; maybe readers in Japan have started to lose interest in it already?

Spark Of Spirit

Well, it sure has been overexposed. It wouldn't surprise me of people bought it and just didn't understand the hype so they shrugged their shoulders and put it aside. The long running entries make sense, they're just too cumbersome to collect for being so long. HxH and KnT, fans didn't really have a choice because of hiatuses and are probably just waiting for it to be done before they pick them up again. AoT is a weird outlier.

Bleach might be because fans are just reading it out of spite now. It's a long way from being Big Three popularity now, but if you put that much time and money into it, you just might want to see your investment have value.

LumRanmaYasha

This is fucking bullshit.

I am positive from reading Higashimura's other works that this series wasn't "derogatory to men" in the slightest. This reeks of unfair and archaic chauvinism and sexism from people who can't handle women being portrayed having stronger roles than men and some men portrayed in any remotely vulnerable or dependent light. I hope Higashimura doesn't give in to pressure and continues with the series, because she has every right to.

Foggle

I don't really know what I can say but "lol." I guess certain stories just hit too close to home for some people...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's just disgusting, pathetic behavior from the fucking morons complaining about a manga hurting their feelings when it's literally doing nothing but portraying a real-life situation. There is no sexism, here. People are just fucking idiots. This really reminds me of the most recent South Park episode (and the whole season's theme, in general), making it both more hilarious yet depressing about how universal that message is.

Spark Of Spirit

That chapter of Food Wars! really sets the tone for this arc. I was not expecting that turn at all. Soma might really be in over his head here because he (and everyone else) has no chance of fighting back. That last panel said it all.

Meanwhile World Trigger looks like the new arc will be starting very soon. Can't wait for that.

Another good issue.

I wasn't really a fan of the Black Clover chapter, though. It was a fairly unneeded turn from the end of the last chapter since it basically made what happened irrelevant. There was no reason that couldn't have simply happened in the capital.

LumRanmaYasha

This week's issue was one of the weaker ones in a while, I feel, but still had a lot of good stuff. Really intrigued by the prospects of another invasion on the horizon in WT, as well as how Midoriya and Bakugo will possibly be able to beat All Might in MHA. My favorite of the issue was probably FW!, though, since the situation for Polar Star just got all the more desperate. The odds against Soma and co. this time really do feel insurmountable, and while I'm sure they'll pull through somehow, it's no doubt going to be one heck of a struggle.

Black Clover definitely rubbed me wrong this week as well. Everything about the Wizard King's actions in this chapter didn't make sense to me. Why did he just wait at these people's base instead of trying to save the lives of his citizens? Why is he killing off a bunch of these people when he can maybe question them and see what they were after, or if nothing else, give them a fair trial and stuff before metering out punishment? His attitude and dialogue in the chapter was also really dumb; that same sort of roundabout pretentious jabber that Bleach characters spout all the time. And yeah, Asta being kidnapped was a totally pointless development. Bleh. Really bad chapter, imo.

And while I've been following Toriko pretty well these last couple of weeks despite it jumping around so much, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why and what was happening in the latest chapter. And I still can't figure out what's going on in Arc-V either. So those also brought the issue down a little for me The core stuff that's been great lately; FW!, MHA, WT, and Nisekoi plus OPM were all still very good, of course, but I'm hoping for stronger chapters on the whole next week.

One other thing I'll mention, since I'm pretty clearly not going to be able to resume After the Jump reviews this month, is that the Naruto Jump Back reminded me that the manga was still moving at a pretty good pace and was still pretty good for a while after the timeskip. The pacing was much faster than I remembered, but that's because I'd been remembering how things were paced in the anime, where the early episodes were literally paced adapting only half a chapter per episode for the first couple of episodes. Reminds me that even before Pierrot's filler bullshit (I still can't believe that they are still padding the anime out with filler episodes even though the series has been over for almost a year at this point), Shippuden was always a really shitty adaption, which made the parts where the manga became shit even all the more shitty. Really hope they don't touch any new popular shonen series anytime soon (especially not MHA).