Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 26, 2015, 10:43:38 PMBlack Clover definitely rubbed me wrong this week as well. Everything about the Wizard King's actions in this chapter didn't make sense to me. Why did he just wait at these people's base instead of trying to save the lives of his citizens? Why is he killing off a bunch of these people when he can maybe question them and see what they were after, or if nothing else, give them a fair trial and stuff before metering out punishment? His attitude and dialogue in the chapter was also really dumb; that same sort of roundabout pretentious jabber that Bleach characters spout all the time. And yeah, Asta being kidnapped was a totally pointless development. Bleh. Really bad chapter, imo.
I actually didn't understand what was happening at first. I had to reread the part where the Wizard King showed up because I didn't get how he got there. At first I thought he was their boss, then I thought it was a disguise, and then he became a Bleach character. Very confusing and stupid. I'm really starting to wonder what Tabata is trying to do, because there's no consistency here. The faster this mini-arc ends the happier I will be.

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 26, 2015, 10:43:38 PMAnd while I've been following Toriko pretty well these last couple of weeks despite it jumping around so much, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why and what was happening in the latest chapter. And I still can't figure out what's going on in Arc-V either. So those also brought the issue down a little for me The core stuff that's been great lately; FW!, MHA, WT, and Nisekoi plus OPM were all still very good, of course, but I'm hoping for stronger chapters on the whole next week.
I guess I could have mentioned those, too. Toriko, Arc V, and One Piece are skims for me since I'm pretty well lost, but Toriko looked like he copy and pasted panels from a bunch of chapters. Something tells me he's rushing it.

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 26, 2015, 10:43:38 PMOne other thing I'll mention, since I'm pretty clearly not going to be able to resume After the Jump reviews this month, is that the Naruto Jump Back reminded me that the manga was still moving at a pretty good pace and was still pretty good for a while after the timeskip. The pacing was much faster than I remembered, but that's because I'd been remembering how things were paced in the anime, where the early episodes were literally paced adapting only half a chapter per episode for the first couple of episodes. Reminds me that even before Pierrot's filler bullshit (I still can't believe that they are still padding the anime out with filler episodes even though the series has been over for almost a year at this point), Shippuden was always a really shitty adaption, which made the parts where the manga became shit even all the more shitty. Really hope they don't touch any new popular shonen series anytime soon (especially not MHA).
I've been weary of Pierrot since Flame of Recca. Pointlessly changing events, cutting story and characters, and lopping off the best half of the story. I have no idea what they were doing with that.

All signs seem to be pointing to someone like Production I.G. doing MHA from what little I've been able to dig up, so hopefully they won't get their hooks into it. Though, thinking about it, if they don't get MHA (and I'm really hoping the rumors are right and they don't) then what Jump series can they ruin instead? There's nothing else for them to destroy right now. Maybe that's why they're milking Naruto so hard.

Oh, and my chapter rankings:

Food Wars!
World Trigger
My Hero Academia
Nisekoi
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 26, 2015, 10:59:40 PM
I actually didn't understand what was happening at first. I had to reread the part where the Wizard King showed up because I didn't get how he got there. At first I thought he was their boss, then I thought it was a disguise, and then he became a Bleach character. Very confusing and stupid. I'm really starting to wonder what Tabata is trying to do, because there's no consistency here. The faster this mini-arc ends the happier I will be.

According to the tagline for the chapter in the unofficial scan, next week's chapter will apparently be the end of the arc. I really hope the next arc will be much better than this one was overall.

I guess I could have mentioned those, too. Toriko, Arc V, and One Piece are skims for me since I'm pretty well lost, but Toriko looked like he copy and pasted panels from a bunch of chapters. Something tells me he's rushing it.

Yeah, as I've said before, I'm convinced Toriko is being rushed to end sometime very soon. How soon is the real question.

I've actually been really enjoying One Piece again recently. The last couple of chapters have been a lot of fun and have really set up a lot of promising plot threads for the current arc to explore that I'm pretty excited about. In general, the series has been on an upswing again since Doflamingo's defeat, and I'm expecting some really good stuff to come out of this arc.

All signs seem to be pointing to someone like Production I.G. doing MHA from what little I've been able to dig up, so hopefully they won't get their hooks into it. Though, thinking about it, if they don't get MHA (and I'm really hoping the rumors are right and they don't) then what Jump series can they ruin instead? There's nothing else for them to destroy right now. Maybe that's why they're milking Naruto so hard.

Hopefully that rumor pans out and I.G. gets MHA. They'd do a good job. If they don't get MHA, I'm honestly expecting Pierrot to get Black Clover when they are finally done milking Naruto. Which, as of now, I'm not feeling would be too much of a loss, honestly.

My rankings for this week are pretty similar to yours, except MHA and Nisekoi are flipped in mine. In general, those 4 have pretty much monopolized my rankings recently, though OP has slipped in occasionally these last couple months as well.

VLordGTZ

At very least, we know that Toei is not involved with the supposed MHA anime since the domain was filed under TOHO's name.  That already gives me some hope that the series is being given to a decent studio.

Spark Of Spirit

TOHO works with I.G. and TMS quite a bit, so they're good bets. I'd hope after Haikyu! season 2 is done, the same team could do MHA, but I fully admit that's pure wishful thinking on my part. They would be a great fit.

Speaking of MHA, you guys might get a kick out of this...

Horikoshi can draw good. (I would have paid for him to draw Vash, Wolfwood, Kenshin, or Ushio and Tora, tho)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Horikoshi is such a great artist. I especially love those Miyazaki and Pokemon drawings.

In case anyone needed confirmation, yeah, the MHA anime is for sure happening. No details on what studio will be doing it yet, though.

Spark Of Spirit

As long as it's not Toei or Pierrot, which it doesn't seem to be, I'm good.

I know some people are complaining that it's too early, but it isn't going to be ongoing, so I'm not worried. It'll probably just be everything up to Stain and then it'll go on hiatus. There are people who don't like this trend of 25 episode season followed by hiatus, but I'm not one of them. I actually think it helps focus and production if they're not endlessly cranking episodes out and have to eventually stuff filler in there. Plus, if the manga gets bad (not that I think MHA will at this point) you can stop watching the anime before that point when the season comes to a natural ending point.

It's a better format, to me.

Spark Of Spirit

I just learned Magi is entering its final arc. How has the manga been recently in contrast with the early parts?

VLordGTZ

While the early parts of the Kou Empire arc made a few missteps with how Hakuryuu was characterized (which were resolved later on), it was really great overall .  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how everything is tied up in the final arc.

LumRanmaYasha

I caught up with the series again earlier today, and I have to concur with Vlord; the Kou Empire arc was excellent, and really rekindled my enthusiasm and excitement for the series. I'm really looking forward to what's in store next.

LumRanmaYasha

Anyway, here are the rankings for the November 2nd issue of Weekly Shonen Jump:

My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead CP, Anime Announcement)
1- Haikyu!!
One Piece (Not ranked. Was absent in issue #42)
2- Assassination Classroom
3- Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
4- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
Kung-Fu Master (One-Shot, Center Color, 47 p.)
5- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
Black Clover (Center Color)
6- Mononofu (First ranking)
7- Hinomaru Sumo
8- Toriko
9- Nisekoi
10- Gintama
Samon the Summoner (Not ranked)
11- Bleach
12- Kochikame
13- Best Blue
14- Kagamigami
Chronicle of Isobe -Life is Hard-

Decent debut ranking for Mononofu. We'll see how chapter 2 does, but I have a good feeling it'll stick around.

Also, Hinomaru Zumo and Kuroko's Basketball are getting a crossover one-shot. I'm not sure how that will go down, but I'm a sucker for crossovers, and really enjoy HZ and can still appreciate the protagonists of KB, so I'll definitely check it out. Would be interesting if the english Jump ran it, though they probably won't, since Viz hasn't licensed HZ and their Jump never ran KB.

Spark Of Spirit

Straighten Up is doing so well that's it odd that it hasn't been licensed. Especially since Viz licensed KnB and Haikyu!, I would think a new manga to add variety to their magazine would have been easy enough.

That's good to hear about Magi. The down-note when the arc started around here got me a bit worried. Truth be told, I'm just glad the story isn't going to be strung out for years to come and will come to a natural ending instead.

Spark Of Spirit

Aww, I was missing World Trigger this week.  :-\

Not the best issue this week due to missing the aforementioned series, but there were some good chapters. The ones that actually had plot movement, especially. Midoriya and Bakugo beating All Might, even with a handicap, sure wasn't expected at all, but was great to see. Same with Soma facing impossible odds in Food Wars. I sure can't wait to see what he'll do next. Nisekoi continues its current story and OPM stars one of my favorite side-characters. All in all, not a bad read this week.

My Hero Academia
Food Wars!
One Punch Man
Nisekoi

VLordGTZ

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Bones wouldn't have been my first choice, but they are definitely a very capable studio. It's good to know that MHA will get some fair treatment.

Spark Of Spirit

Awesome! One of my friends is a mega-MHA fan and has been hoping for Bones to make this above anyone else.

After Blood Blockade Battlefront, I'm definitely eager to see what they'll do here.