Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Hey, Buddy Strike was actually pretty good. It would be nice to have a sports manga in Weekly Jump again, so I hope it does well.

That was a good chapter of Black Clover. Simple, but it had more character in it than the series has had in a while. I hope there's more chapters like this.

Also typical goodness fro World Trigger, Food Wars!, Nisekoi, and MHA this week. Though Nisekoi looks to have the arc ended so who knows if it will continue this roll its been on. I hope he doesn't slip here and keeps up with how things have been going.

My rankings:

My Hero Academia
World Trigger
Food Wars!
Buddy Strike
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Wow, this issue was extraordinary. Every series, Bleach included surprisingly, brought something substantial and entertaining to the table, and Buddy Strike's first chapter shows tremendous promise and a polished sense of art and characterization that I'd expected of Kaito after Cross Manage. An easy contender for one of the best issues of this year. If I can manage to appropriate enough time, I really want to resume After the Jump writeups with this issue, because between the debut of Buddy Strike and everything else it had to offer, there's so much great stuff to dig into and write about.

My rankings:

Nisekoi
World Trigger
Buddy Strike
Black Clover

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 17, 2015, 12:34:25 AMIf I can manage to appropriate enough time, I really want to resume After the Jump writeups with this issue, because between the debut of Buddy Strike and everything else it had to offer, there's so much great stuff to dig into and write about.
I hope sure hope you get the time! It was a great issue. No bad chapters is a rarity even with as many good series as Jump runs.

Good rankings, I really enjoyed all of those chapters. We would only be lucky if all issues were this good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

And Best Blue is done.

So far only Straighten Up has managed to survive this year in Jump. I hope Mononofu and Buddy Strike are able to last. They look like they'll add a good dose of variety in it.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 27, 2015, 12:04:28 AM
TOHO works with I.G. and TMS quite a bit, so they're good bets. I'd hope after Haikyu! season 2 is done, the same team could do MHA, but I fully admit that's pure wishful thinking on my part. They would be a great fit.

Speaking of MHA, you guys might get a kick out of this...

Horikoshi can draw good. (I would have paid for him to draw Vash, Wolfwood, Kenshin, or Ushio and Tora, tho)
Deadpool!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

gunswordfist

A-men. Now I want to see more mangaka do superheroes.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Perfect fit for a one cour season and then another at a later date. Glad it got an anime. From what I've read, it deserves it.

LumRanmaYasha

Here are the rankings for the November 23rd issue of Weekly Shonen Jump:

Haikyu!! (Cover, Lead CP)
1- One Piece
2- Assassination Classroom
Buddy Strike (Center Color, 25 p.)
3- Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
4- My Hero Academia
5- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
6- Mononofu
7- Toriko
Hinomaru Sumo (Center Color)
8- Kochikame
Full Charge!! Kaden-chan (One-Shot, Center Color, 33 p.) (Main series published in Jump+)
9- Black Clover
10- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
11- Bleach
12- Samon the Summoner
Gintama (Not ranked. Was absent in issue #45)
13- Nisekoi
14- Best Blue (END)
Chronicle of Isobe -Life is Hard-
World Trigger (Absent)

Mononofu looks to be doing pretty well. I'm pretty hopeful it'll stick around for a good while. Once again, though, I'm surprised at the low Nisekoi ranking, cause that chapter was another great one. I hope the latter chapters of the arc will get better ranks.

Spark Of Spirit

It's strange that as good as Nisekoi has been lately that it's getting such low ratings. Maybe it's a good thing that it appears to be wrapping everything up. Though I bet Samon will fall under it eventually. That one's just been a swing and a miss.

Glad about Mononofu and it having such a high rating so early. I just hope Buddy Strike is popular, too.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, it's a good thing that Nisekoi is wrapping up as it is, so low rankings won't hurt it as much as it would a series in the middle of it's story. I just hope Komi keeps pace with the story as he's been doing this last year to deliver a satisfying final arc and conclusion.

I don't expect Samon to last. It debuted in the bottom 5, and there's no short-term series under it that's underperforming now that Best Blue's out. It'll likely be the first to get the boot when another new series comes in.

And yeah, I really hope Buddy Strike will stick around for the long term. Kaito managed to do so much with Cross Manage despite it's short lenght, so I'm eager to see him get a second chance and find more success, and be able to develop a longer and more fleshed out story this time around.

Spark Of Spirit

Despite missing World Trigger it was another pretty good issue. I'm really wondering where MHA is planning on going next, as this chapter has laid out a few different ways it could go. Nisekoi and Black Clover were both enjoyable reads, and Buddy Strike continues on to show the first chapter wasn't a fluke. Though the Kakashi thing at the end was a bit odd. I'm going to be disappointed if Buddy Strike doesn't stick around, honestly.

My rankings:

My Hero Academia
Nisekoi
Buddy Strike
Black Clover

Spark Of Spirit

Looks like he is part of Sunday's new initiative after all.

Gotta say, I'm interested. But I hope we actually get to read this one. NONE of his works have ever been licensed before.

Though I do hope this doesn't make an anime adaption of Karakuri Circus or Moonlight Act less likely since he won't be available to help with sequences them like Ushio & Tora. As far as I'm concerned as long as it's MAPPA and Nishimura, I'll keep watching.