Hunter X Hunter (Original + Remake)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 18, 2011, 11:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The animation this week was excellent. Also this is pretty crucial, game-changing episode in terms of what happens at the end, so I'm glad to see that it was pulled off well, here.

gunswordfist

Watching episode 126 was wonderful. I'm guessing that bomb paid homage to Android 16.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Or it was just a plot device....because, you know there are a lot of stories that feature bombs, so I don't really think it's necessarily meant to parallel any other shounen series in particular.

gunswordfist

I just can't wait to see what Cell does in the next episode of Hunter X Hunter.

gunswordfist

Lord Dalek

Whelp... on episode three. Never thought you'd me in this thread now DIDN'T you?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Uh-oh, it'll be interesting to see you tear apart Hakusho 2.0! :SHOCK:

But in all seriousness, be weary that up until York New City,mHXH plays out more like a typical shounen. Granted that, it's all intentional. Part of Togashi's writing style is to set things up using familiar tropes only to go against your expectations later on. It's not for everyone (personally,I love it, though), but it certainly also isn't really like any other series out there. It's rather high on the "WTF, this shit is weird" factor, even by shounen standards (which, once again, is kind of up my alley).

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 26, 2014, 11:34:45 AM
Uh-oh, it'll be interesting to see you tear apart Hakusho 2.0! :SHOCK:

What's more shocking is I kinda like it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's good to know. I'll be interested to see your thoughts on the York New City arc (the one that I wrote like a 10-page review on a few months ago).

LumRanmaYasha

When you said before you had watched the first anime and thought it sucked, I thought you had at least watched a good chunk of it. But apparently you didn't even get to this part (which is in episode 16 in the first anime) first? How much of 1999 did you actually watch? :thinkin:

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 28, 2014, 12:24:10 AM
When you said before you had watched the first anime and thought it sucked, I thought you had at least watched a good chunk of it. But apparently you didn't even get to this part (which is in episode 16 in the first anime) first? How much of 1999 did you actually watch? :thinkin:
Only up to about 10 episodes. The pace of the old show was a real grind.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love that scene in both versions. Though, as a whole, I still think the 1999 anime is better. I didn't mind the pacing aside from the filler. It also had great moments that weren't in the 2011 version, not to mention a much more appropriate use of music.

Still, HXH is one of the better shounen series out there, so it seems like we can all at least agree on that point for now.

Lord Dalek

Whelp... York New City. Here we go.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wow, you're already that far? You must be marathoning this series. :sweat:

Then again, I've been known to do that before, on plenty of occasions.