Hunter X Hunter (Original + Remake)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 18, 2011, 11:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

So...Hunter X Hunter (2011) is on Netflix now. The first 100 episodes are currently available for legal streaming.

HOLY SHIT HOW? This is awesome news, but who's responsible for putting this on there? Could this mean someone has the license now? Hmm...

Lord Dalek

Well either Funi finally licensed it or Netflix got them directly from VAP.

I'm thinking the latter because of Sidonia.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As cool as that news is, I dont really anticipate it increasing viewership, seeing as how more than just the first 100 episodes are already available on CR without the need for a subscription fee. Also, I doubt the anime was licensed for official release, seeing as how I've heard no announcements on the matter so far, and since it's a popular enough show, announcing a license for it would kind of be a big deal.

Lord Dalek

If anything this is an admission that Viz is no longer in the running for the rights since they're entrenched in the Hulu camp.

Avaitor

Hey, cool! I may take this chance to catch what I haven't seen yet.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on August 03, 2014, 09:46:09 PM
Its a better show to marathon then to take in weekly spurts. The plot does drag frequently especially early on and this is the no-filler version!

Avaitor

Quote from: Lord Dalek on August 03, 2014, 11:15:46 PM
Its a better show to marathon then to take in weekly spurts. The plot does drag frequently especially early on and this is the no-filler version!
Yeah, that's fair. I watched about the first 20 or so episodes, then lost track and fell out. I'll try to look up recaps and- ugh- go back on MAL briefly to find out where I stopped.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Lord Dalek on August 03, 2014, 11:15:46 PM

Avaitor has already watched the 1999 anime (or at least part of it), so I don't think that it'll be a problem for him.

I don't have a problem with the pacing until the Chimera Ant arc, which only covers about 2 chapters per episode. I think that was a mistake, and with the heavy exposition in the dialogue, I think it made for a better read than a watch, with a few key episodes being the exception.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Trust Togashi to take a joke scene from one chapter and then make it part of the actual plot. Leorio getting the 3rd most votes in the election just because of a viral video of him decking Ging is both absurd and hilarious. Of course he doesn't really stand a chance against the top 2 contenders, but tis still very amusing all the same.

Meanwhile on Killua's side of the plot, he's gotten separated from the rest of the butlers and has to protect Alluka from Illumi. And Hisoka and Gotoh are about to throw down. All I can say is that this....won't be pretty. But, what else could you expect from Hunter X Hunter at this point?

Spark Of Spirit

It's available on Netflix here. But since I've already seen it...

I hope more series escape from Viz's grip so folks up north can actually watch them. Less Hulu, more Netflix.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, you've seen the 1999 anime. There is also this anime's adaptation of the Chimera Ant arc, which was never previously animated before.

Spark Of Spirit

Do you happen to know what episode it starts at? I'll put it in my list to watch later.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 05, 2014, 03:48:53 PM
Do you happen to know what episode it starts at? I'll put it in my list to watch later.

The Chimera Ant arc starts at episode 76.

gunswordfist

Episode 140: It was good seeing Leorio, Gotoh, Canary and Kurapika again. Leorio decking Ging was hilarious. Also, he's reminding me of Knuckle.
Episode 141: Starting the arc, I had no clue Killua would have such an important role in it because I just assumed the main characters would take a backseat to the election, if that even makes sense. I always love seeing Godspeed. Also, I thought it was possible that we wouldn't see another Hisoka fight. I went, "Ah man." when it got cut off at the end. This show is too addictive.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still say that Togashi is by far the best "contemporary" shounen mangaka that I know of. Yu Yu Hakusho is a more traditional series in its formula, but a proven classic of the genre that helped to set a lot of the trends that many future shounen series would follow. Level E is a fun and short anthology series, and one of the most unique comedies ever (I personally prefer it to Space Dandy as a show, in general, TBH), and Hunter X Hunter is a unique battle shounen manga that puts a lot more emphasis on wits and characterization than just straight up action or gags. It is definitely a flawed series, and I would never pretend that it's perfect; I also kind of feel that it's lacking in the heart that a series like YYH had, as sometimes Togashi gets too wrapped up in technical details and forgoes any good emotional scenes for a long while. Yet, even so, it still has good enough writing and an intriguing enough plot with most story arcs to put most other currently running shounen manga to shame, IMO.

It's true that the anime adaptations of Togashi's work are always better than his actual manga, but I attribute that to his talent to write really good concepts and ideas, and execute them well enough while leaving them with enough substance to them for any good anime staff to expand upon in ways that make his stories and characters even more interesting, and truth be told, despite it's really rushed and crappy final arc, I will still re-read the YYH manga to this day. Never let it be said that Togashi isn't a damn fine writer when he's on his A-game.