Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Here's an interesting video about the behind the scenes of the entire Spider-Man movie franchise.

In Sony tradition, it's quite the glorious mess.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Spark Of Spirit

Comments on the new X-Men movie seem pretty lukewarm.

Quote"Compared to the energetic, bold Days Of Future Past, it all seems so leaden. How many times can Professor Xavier remind us that there is good in Magneto — by now a mass-murderer several times over — before one of them pulls a lightsaber? How many overly familiar exhortations to heroism can Mystique really deliver and expect to be taken seriously? And did they need to replay entire scenes we've seen multiple times before? Aside from a few moments with Nightcrawler — in his achingly perfect Thriller jacket and Flock Of Seagulls hair — there's no levity here, no tonal variation. The more the film harks back to other X-instalments, the more you'll wish you were watching those instead."
That's not going to help my lack of hype much.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Meh, I still don't care about reviews and also don't have any pre-conceived want to dislike this movie since I don't really know anything about Apocalypse.

Granted, I never quite expected to like this movie as much as X2, First Class, or DOFP, mostly due to the new cast, but I feel that I'll at least enjoy it as a fun popcorn flick.

Avaitor

The weak reception is making me a little sad, but I'm still going to give it a go anyway. I'm not an Apocalypse fan, but I'm willing to check in on Bryan Singer's Xverse one more time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just for the sake of a little bit of contrast, here is one of the more positive reviews that I found: https://youtu.be/Az4FhLchHsk

Also, reading some of the negative reviews of the movie, I'm finding that very few actually call it an outright bad film. It seems that the mixed reception ranges from underwhelming at worst to pretty entertaining for what it is at best. I have a feeling that my opinion will fall into the latter camp, but this certainly seems to be the weakest Singer-directed X-Men film to date.

GregX

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

An Honest Trailer for Deadpool featuring Deadpool himself (for real): https://youtu.be/_qIRtFE6aIc

GregX

Daikun

Daikun

Spark Of Spirit

Geoff Johns is a very good choice.

QuoteOne phrase came out of his mouth over and over again as he talked about DC's comics: "hope and optimism."

QuoteDC's nascent cinematic universe has so far depicted Superman as an angry god; a violent, alien entity that needs to be kept in check. This morning, Johns offered a vastly different take on the character's archetype. "I think people make a mistake when they say, 'Superman's not relatable because he's so powerful,'" he said. "I'm like, 'Are you kidding me? He's a farmboy from Kansas who moves to the city and just wants to do the best he can with what he's got.' That's the most relatable character in the world."

QuoteJohns was never the flashiest writer, opting for traditional story structures and plain prose, but he had an undeniable reverence for DC iconography (some have said too much reverence) and a willingness to think big when the company wanted to do something world-shaking.

QuoteAs such, he wrote for the CW's Arrow and helped launch its spinoff The Flash, where he acted as a writer, developer, and executive producer. He advised game developers. He became part of a brain trust responsible for mapping out the contours of the nascent DC cinematic universe. Last year, it was announced that he and Ben Affleck were co-writing the screenplay for a standalone Batman movie. There's no real equivalent to Johns in the Marvel org chart: Unlike Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige, Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb, or Marvel chief creative officer Joe Quesada, he has his fingers in virtually every medium the characters show up in.

QuoteWhatever he does next, it'll be rooted in a belief that DC needs to understand the deep-seated warmth and love that people feel toward its pantheon. "There's a lot of emotional underpinning of the characters and the stories," he said. "It's not that people take it for granted. They're just not as aware of it. But when it's not there, you really feel that emptiness."

DC has needed what Johns has brought to other mediums. Now, to reset the universe and start on better footing.

Maybe he'll be able to unite the film and TV divisions and wake Marvel up from their stupidity regarding that.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody