Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Exactly. None of the SHIELD stuff had anything to do with the main plot (or if it did, it could've easily been replaced with something else), but there was a TON of SHIELD stuff in the movie. And therein lies the problem. You have a ton of pointless scenes that take up a lot of precious time that could have been used for further developing the main story and characters. Thankfully, though, I think Marvel has learned their lesson from that debacle, and I'm pretty sure Iron Man 3 will once again be a much more focused experience that actually moves its plot along and doesn't waste time trying to tie into the next Avengers movie. And, as Avaitor already pointed out, IM2 barely even tied into The Avengers at all, even with all of those pointless SHIELD scenes included.

Avaitor

Hell, even the Incredible Hulk factored more into the movie than iM2 did, and they didn't even keep the same actor for Banner.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

That and stuff like the party scene were just flat-out boring and added forced conflict. Yes, Tony's a cocky fool, we get it and we've gotten it since the original movie- but hey we have to give the army a suit of armor somehow, right? I'm also going to say though I like Don Cheadle as an actor, he really didn't fit in as War Machine.

About the only things I liked was Tony's relationship with his dad and the final action sequence. Nothing else hooked me at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I liked the action scenes, the weird one at the party with DJ AM aside, as well as the Disney references, right down to the fact that Justin Hammer was an obvious spoof on Katzenberg here, but otherwise, I have the least amount of use for the movie out of the other Phase 1 films.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I do have to say that the first action sequence at the racetrack was a bit silly. Tony really shouldn't have had such a hard time like he did. Otherwise, yeah it's probably my least favorite film of the bunch as well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Did anyone else notice how that racetrack scene also pulled a "Michael Bay" style camera work, with Happy and Pepper screaming a lot and the camera zooming into close-ups of their faces and shaking around a lot? Yeah, that really annoyed the fuck out of me.

gunswordfist

Yeah, GSP is going to be Batroc The Leaper. I have Captain America DVR'd so I need to get around to watching that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on April 08, 2013, 07:13:16 PM
They should just make a movie for Black Widow and/or Hawkeye so we can see more of them before Avengers 2, instead of just shoehorning them into the other hero's movies. Thy aren't as big of a deal in the comics as Cap, Iron Man or Thor, but I think movieverse fans are interested enough in the characters to see their own movies.
I can't say I agree. I wouldn't want to see a movie about the least interesting Avengers.

Goldstar

Perhaps a movie starring both Black Widow and Hawkeye together, but I'm not sure if either one of them is strong enough a character to carry an entire movie on his/her own. Both of them seem to work best in a group/team dynamic.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 09, 2013, 09:20:00 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on April 08, 2013, 07:13:16 PM
They should just make a movie for Black Widow and/or Hawkeye so we can see more of them before Avengers 2, instead of just shoehorning them into the other hero's movies. Thy aren't as big of a deal in the comics as Cap, Iron Man or Thor, but I think movieverse fans are interested enough in the characters to see their own movies.
I can't say I agree. I wouldn't want to see a movie about the least interesting Avengers.
Well it's easy to call them the least interesting when they haven't had much time of their own to develop.

Quote from: Goldstar on April 09, 2013, 10:33:52 AM
Perhaps a movie starring both Black Widow and Hawkeye together, but I'm not sure if either one of them is strong enough a character to carry an entire movie on his/her own. Both of them seem to work best in a group/team dynamic.
I do agree with Black Widow, but Hawkeye has some pretty solid solo stories. His 80's miniseries is a good one, for example, and I've heard good things about his new series. I'd hope that the people behind the movies would be able to give us something unique with the two either together or on their own.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Goldstar on April 09, 2013, 10:33:52 AM
Oh God, them working alone is even worse.

Avaitor, that's part of the reason why the movie wouldn't say.

And Hawkeye is a mentor in his latest comic book series, right?

Avaitor

I still haven't read the new series (I did download the first issue during Marvel's #1 push a month or two ago, though), but he has kind of been one for a while in the comicverse.

New blog!

Silverstar

I actually thought Black Widow and Hawkeye were pretty cool in The Avengers (I liked them a lot a lot more than I thought I would, same deal with Cap, both in his own movie as well as Avengers) but a solo movie starring one or both of them would be a hard sell, since, superficial as this sounds, those guys don't have any cool super powers; no super-tech like Iron Man, not even enhanced peak human abilities like Cap. A movie starring them would basically be a standard spy action flick. (I imagine that this is the same problem that the upcoming Agents of SHIELD series will face, unless some well-known Marvel heroes are slated to appear.) A Hawkeye/Widow flick could probably benefit from a bunch of fancy SHIELD tech and weapons, an appearance by Sam Jackson as Nick Fury and a really kick-ass villain, just not one of the mystical or uber-metahuman variety, since that would require super-powered characters' assistance.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

gunswordfist

I watched Captain America today. Pretty good movie. Now I've seen all of The Avengers' movies.

Avaitor

This is Loki from the Thor 2 trailer.

This is Tommy Wiseau

See a difference? I do not.

New blog!