South Park

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 31, 2010, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Look like crab. Talk like people.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I actually liked the Pip episode. I think Prehistoric Ice Man is far worse, it doesn't have anything going for it at all.

... I also thought the crab people showing up was the best part.

That said, I think season 1 is a lot better than they give it credit for being when it was made and how new it was. Their hate of season 3 is completely odd because I remember in the commentary them saying repeatedly that "Hey, this episode was pretty good" over and over. They both blow the doors off season 9, in any case.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I like Prehistoric Ice Man.

LumRanmaYasha

What's wrong with season 9? Aside from "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina" and "Erection Day," all the other episodes are pretty on par with good episodes from previous seasons. I myself would take season 3 over season 9, but I think the best of 9 is more entertaining on the whole than the best of 1.

Oh, and like Foggle I like "Prehistoric Ice Man." I'm not sure what there is to dislike about it. As for "Pip," I liked the character a lot and all in his most notable episodes, but the episode is a dreadfully boring re-telling of "Great Expectations" until the whole Genesis Device twist, so I've never really cared for it much.

Spark Of Spirit

In my opinion, Prehistoric Ice Man is simply not funny and has nothing going for it. The Cartman schtick is the same joke over and over and never gets funnier with its repetition. At least Pip has the ending, Prehistoric Ice Man doesn't have anything.

Season 9 felt tired to me. It's a hard thing to explain, but most every episode in that season save for a handful bore me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Cartman's plot isn't the focus of "Prehistoric Ice Man," though. I can understand if you don't find the townspeople thinking a man frozen in ice for three years is some kind of savage funny, the crocodile hunter parody, or Stan-Kyle's argument over naming the guy entertaining. As is it's an average episode for me, and I enjoy it quite a bit.

As for season nine, aside from the two episodes I mentioned before, I like it quite a lot. "The Losing Edge," "The Death of Eric Cartman," "Marjorine," "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow," "Trapped in the Closet," "Die, Hippie, Die," "Wing," and "Free Willzyx" were all quite hilarious to me and still are. Honestly, the season of South Park I like the least has to be sixteen, which only had okay episodes for the most part except for "Butterballs" and "I Should Have Never Gone Ziplining," which I found hilarious.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

"The Death Of Eric Cartman" and "Marjorine" were both South Park spins on VERY typical cartoon plots (I'm talking about stuff that you'd find on old Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or Disney Channel after school cartoon shows), and IMO....they were both pretty hilarious, if only because it was fun seeing those types of episodes being told through South Park's very demented perspective.

I agree with Cartoon X; on the whole, I think season 9 is pretty much on par with the other seasons. I just don't see how its really all that boring, aside from a few stinkers. I mean, I liked it better than seasons 1, 2, 12, and 13 on the whole, myself, so its hardly the weakest season in the show.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 13, 2013, 05:24:45 PM
In my opinion, Prehistoric Ice Man is simply not funny and has nothing going for it.
:char:

Daxdiv

Just a reminder, the new season starts tonight. I'll probably watch this, the ads they've had for this make it interesting. Though from the preview on the website, tonight's episode will have some form of satire against Government monitoring our stuff.

Commode

The newest episode was kinda weak.  I liked the Butters-DMV subplot, but after the first few minutes of Cartman's story it got really boring.  The twist at the end with Santa was funny at the reveal, but they kind of just let it die, I think they could've done more with it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Nel_Annette

I agree. It felt like they could have gone way further with Cartman's plot, and Butters' wasn't the kind of gag that can stay funny overall. Not a strong opening.

Love the new intro though.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, it was a disappointing episode. Not bad, but far from what I expect from South Park as a season opener. Still, Butters' subplot was still quite funny, as most of his plots tend to be. I hope the next few episodes are a step up, but right now it's just nice to have the series back with new episodes again.  :)

Foggle

I thought Cartman's storyline was absolutely hilarious in its social commentary, but it probably won't hold up five years from now. Didn't like Butters' subplot at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Comeau on September 29, 2013, 12:32:05 PM
The newest episode was kinda weak.  I liked the Butters-DMV subplot, but after the first few minutes of Cartman's story it got really boring.  The twist at the end with Santa was funny at the reveal, but they kind of just let it die, I think they could've done more with it.

While I'm usually the one defending South Park as still be a legitimately well-written and funny show, I pretty much agree with you on this episode. It just didn't do much for me. I'm not so much of a fan of the episodes that just have Cartman represent some "modern sensation" of the time. That's not really Cartman's character, in the first place. I prefer the episodes where he uses dirty schemes and manipulation to gain a position of power or just something that he wants. He's much funnier in those scenarios, IMO. Either that, or the episodes where the kids are just being themselves and he's a dick to everyone like usual.

Anyways, this was a pretty "meh" premiere (I did laugh at the Alec Baldwin jokes, though), but also not nearly the worst that I've seen from this show. It really doesn't phase me, though, since every season at least has a few episodes like these. I just hope that the following episodes are better.

LumRanmaYasha

Oh man, last night's episode was absolutely hilarious! It might even be a new favorite of mine!  ;D