Recent posts

Vidja Games / Re: What Are You Currently Pla...
Last post by Mustang - Today at 03:13:32 PM
Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania

Holy hell I had no idea what I was in for when trying out these indie darlings. Do I like the game? Yes. Am I having fun? HELL NO!! I do see the draw though. Had you just had a little bit more health, had you just had this weapon, yeah, I definitely see it. I currently just got bodied by some big ass knight armor thingy guarding someone sitting in a throne chair. These boss battles are crazy. I think I know what I'm setting myself up for when I get around to Hades.

Bayonetta 1

Playing this on the Switch. This was a 360/PS3 game first if I recall, so maybe it's the Switch after all, but I remember and don't remember everything looking so muddy. I could've sworn the colors used to pop in this game. But I definitely want to blame it on it being old, but I remember Shin Megami Tensei 5 looking like this as well, hence my confusion. It's not a big deal though. Anyway, I forgot this game also have the whole xxxxoo type of combo structure that I like so this could very well be that middle ground I was looking for between Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry in terms of having a wider field of combat and just a play ground. Only problem, and no slight to Bayonetta's character, she's just not Dante/Vergil. Nothing to do with her being a woman. She's just not as charismatic that's all. She's cool though. I just really started the game so nothing to really say about level design. I kinda want to skip this one and jump right to the next one though, but I can wait lol.

Kingdom Hearts 3

This is the big game I decided to pull out the backlog. I'd be doing myself a disservice if I just left this as is. As confusing as the story is and from what I can remember from way back when in Kingdom Hearts 2, yeah, it's time. I'd also rather get to this now because if I were to put this off any longer Kingdom Hearts 4 would've dropped on me. Anyway while I haven't played it for myself, I am aware of the events (not all) and I'm aware there's a DLC that I'm supposed to get (I don't know if I will) so I won't be shocked at anything. If anything, the main reason for playing this is because apparently there's a magic build setup that's suppose to be busted and I want to try it. And this is pretty much what/why I play my games for now lol (or rather why I replay certain games 2-4 times)

Fighting game wise, these little jabs people throw, I don't take to them too kindly and I'm starting to get a itchy trigger finger. 3rd Strike and USF4, of all games....
Moving Pictures / Re: What Movie Did You Just Wa...
Last post by Avaitor - Today at 10:47:14 AM
I saw Furiosa earlier this week and haven't been able to get it out of my mind since. I'll admit that I wasn't sure about it at first, if we really needed a prequel story for the character or to replace Charlize Theron with Anya Taylor-Joy, but that's what I get for doubting George Miller. The movie only helps to enrich Fury Road, already an all-time fave, while ATJ gave a worthy performance as a younger Furiosa, although Chris Hemsworth may be the real MVP. I really like his Thor, but I haven't seen him delightfully chew up this much scenery before.

I'm sad that unless it does really well this weekend, we probably won't get another Mad Max. I know Miller has plans for another, and I can tell that he has at least one more in him (while there's the clarity of a man pushing 80 behind Furiosa, it still has the energy of a much younger director behind it), but not during Zaslav's era.
Cartoon Network / Re: Is it time for Adult Swim ...
Last post by Avaitor - Today at 10:39:20 AM
The lack of new programming is a serious problem, and the few things we're supposed to get on proper CN probably won't spin the needle as they're continuations of older series (Totally Spies, Total Drama). Or maybe they can, supposedly their Tiny Toon Looniversity airings have been a decent success for the channel. I understand why they've been cutting back on programming for the 6-14 demo, as that audience has largely left television behind for YouTube and Twitch, but it's sad to see the big three basically stop trying. Not everyone has abandoned cable, and even then, there's still a chance to get that audience back with streaming and put some of those shows, like Looniversity, on cable.

As for MeTV Toons, it's all old stuff, but a lot of that, particularly Looney Tunes and other theatrical cartoons, have proven to be timelessly profitable. It does seem like this generation of kids is latching onto them more than the ones from 20 years ago, but that's also because they're now easier to watch instead of being relegated to a channel most cable providers won't even carry. I wouldn't say it's a game changer, this isn't even trying to hide that it's CN with no plans for original programming, but it does prove that there's still an audience for cartoons... even if it's old stuff.

And with Acme Hour, I don't even know.
Comics / Manga / Re: What Are You Reading?
Last post by Dr. Insomniac - May 30, 2024, 07:21:25 PM
I saw a tweet this week say "the best way I can describe FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X/RISE OF THE POWERS OF X is that it's like if a very good and satisfying Star Wars Ep 9 had come out on the same day as Rise of Skywalker and Disney insisted you had to see both", and that's an apt description of the final Krakoa arc.
Last post by Dr. Insomniac - May 30, 2024, 11:23:05 AM
But the problem is it doesn't really feel like it's for all-ages. Just nostalgic adults and maybe a few kids. There isn't anything for adults who want something new, or teenagers. What's on CN now that a 16-year-old would be interested in? Or a 25-year-old who wants more than reheated leftovers? Not even fitting leftovers since instead of getting the rights to some Bakshi movie or asking GKIDS for some anime films, CN is airing Kung Pow: Enter the Fist next Sunday? Seriously? Besides, if getting tons of kids to watch 20-to-30-year-old TV cartoons was an easy success story, networks would've happily done it ages ago instead of now when on-air TV is just rotting thanks to streaming.

It's similar to how bemused I am by all the MeTV Toons hype. I keep seeing people talk about it as if it's a gamechanger on TV instead of just a cute little retro channel, hearing them go "Yeah, Histeria's back on TV! Finally kids will have an E/I show to watch that isn't drivel!" or "They put Police Academy the Animated Series on network TV again!" Like are those guys serious?
Last post by Avaitor - May 30, 2024, 10:52:43 AM
Supposedly Michael Ouwleen wants to take Cartoon Network back to its roots as an all-ages channel, ie not exactly for kids, but it feels like he's doing this by prioritizing [as] and phasing out CN as much as he can. Either every new show planned for CN is being pushed back or moved to either [as] or Max, to the point that more and more of CN's daytime schedule is going to older series.

And I don't mind slots for older series, that's always been a part of Cartoon Network's DNA, but a big part of the channel's appeal during the Powerhouse era was that its originals could work for basically every demographic. Shows like Courage are just as entertaining now as they were as a kid, why can't we get more series like that or even Adventure Time or Gumball?
General Animation Discussion / Re: MeTV Toons
Last post by Daikun - May 29, 2024, 11:15:16 PM
Weigel CEO Neal Sabin confirmed on Facebook that MeTV Toons will be available on streaming services like Frndly and Philo. However, they won't be ready until the Fall.

Last post by Dr. Insomniac - May 29, 2024, 03:41:22 PM
I guess on the plus side, it hearkens back to whenever networks like Disney Channel would just air whatever random movie they had in their backlog in the 90s. But that was because they had a lack of direction, not out of any intentional aim. It's no coincidence that Nick and Disney narrowing their imports and licensed shows happened around the time they found more success.

And as a whole, ACME Night, Checkered Past, Toonami Rewind, while the appeal to nostalgia is nice on a surface level, they all reek of CN struggling to buy time and desperately hoping that going "Remember this old show you watched as a kid?! Please pay attention to this!" can keep them afloat. But it all reeks of stagnancy instead of a direction. Even CN Real, and we can all say a lot of awful things about CN Real, that still felt like a direction. It was an awful path, but it was still the network pushing itself somewhere. While the current course appears to be turtling up and hoping for the best.
General Animation Discussion / Re: MeTV Toons
Last post by Daxdiv - May 29, 2024, 02:00:40 PM
Here's their launch line up schedule Looks pretty solid all things considering.
Last post by Avaitor - May 29, 2024, 12:13:27 PM
Acme Night has been a weird spot for CN/[as]. It was initially supposed to be a block meant for families, and it just became a dumping ground for whatever movies they could get the rights to or the occasional Futurama or Samurai Jack marathon.