What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Yakuza 0
I'm having a hard time getting into this series. The presentation of the game is awesome. I find the story of the Yakuza to be fascinating. Not to the degree of samurai's but I'm interested nevertheless. Kiryu is an awesome character and one that I can support and considering that I'm a huge fan of Shenmue and hearing that the series in general is a spiritual successor to that game I should like it. I think it might be how over the top (that's what makes it Yakuza right?) it is that might be bothering me along with the combat. I don't think I'm looking for something along the lines of Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, but the combat feels weird to me. I'm only on chapter 2 so there might be more to it and I have to be patient.

Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition
Cody is the deciding factor on if I stick with the game or not. If I don't like how Cody is then I'm done. I don't like the idea of suddenly adding loot boxes to a game where you have to deal with costumes and colors. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were just colors, but since we're talking costumes, and considering how costumes are being handled (especially these special costumes) I don't like it.

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 2
Going to get back into this. Of course I'm gonna play as my dude Johnny. It's only going to be Johnny because he has too much to learn and I can't afford to try to play secondary characters especially when he's considered top tier.

Any wireless router folks here? I'm far from my router and I'm trying to boost the connection but not entirely sure which booster connection I should buy. Any suggestions?
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

Nioh
Finally decided on the type of build I'm gonna go for. Katana and Tonfa wielding ninja. Don't get me wrong I love dual katana's, but something about the tonfa just ooze style to me. Eventually I'm gonna go for both dual swords and tonfa's and that'll probably be a ninja as well.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hey, you can't go wrong with either of those weapons. Tonfas in particular are ridiculously OP against non-boss human enemies as it guard-breaks them incredibly quickly by just spamming quick attacks in mid-stance.

Mustang

Interesting.

Let me admit now while I'm still reeling on Nioh, that I do run into a feeling of being overwhelmed a little when it comes to building my character mainly because there're so many options, like when do you stop putting points into, er, let's say spirit or ninjutsu or what's the first thing you start putting points in. Those type of thoughts run rampant through my head. Now it don't cause me to stop playing but it does cause me to start my game over a lot lol. Anyway, thought I'd get that off my chest.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The thing about base stats in Nioh is that they are less relevant than you think. Upgrading your gear and using various buffs does pretty much all of the legwork for you. In fact, go check out TheSeraphim17's Level 1 run on YouTube to see what I'm talking about.

Really, just leveling up your Onmyo Magic and Ninjutsu to level 20 each is all that you really need since you have to get those up to unlock more advanced skills. After that just make sure that your level in any given stat is high enough to meet the minimum requirements to unlock the perks granted to you by any specific piece of armor that you want to wear. As for your weapons, you will get more powerful versions of them as the game progresses, regardless of how high your Strength or Skill stats are. You can still put points into that, but it's not going to make the game unplayable if you don't go crazy on leveling up your character. I have completed various missions that were ranked well over a hundred levels above where my character was at without anymore difficulty than what's normal for the game.

Mustang

I didn't think I'd take to the tonfa's the way I am, but I feel a lot more comfortable with them more than the single katana at this point and that's usually my go to for comfort. Then again the low stance in general is just making me feel comfortable.  Low stance for katana I don't feel as comfortable because there are some gaps in my attacks that I don't like and luckily I haven't been punished for it yet. I don't have any confidence in high stance (yet) lol with the katana and haven't attempted with the tonfa's yet either. Other than that on to the 2nd main mission (oh dear god this boss scares me lol)
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Pro-tip: high stance with the Katana against an Oni with its horns still attached gives you a high chance of scoring a critical on them. You can just do that and then wail on them in mid or low-stance until they recover.

And yes, the Tonfas are very fun to use. Have you come across any gun tonfas yet? Those are a unique variety that can shoot out blasts of gunpowder at the ends of specific combos.

Mustang

Not yet on the gun tonfas but I'm definitely looking forward to them.

Surprisingly I found out you can score a critical on the horned Oni's with tonfas in low stance. I called myself just trying to stick and move (in and out) only to see that I score a critical on it.

I'm starting to feel like a badass a little bit with ki pulse canceling while dashing out of range to strike back with a quick attack.

Edit:

Gosh dang XLHGladiator has become my favorite with donguri990 following closely behind.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd give donguri the edge when it comes to Devil May Cry, but I'd say that XLH shows more versatility in his content and tends to have the better videos for other games. That said both are ridiculously amazing and downright inhuman in their level of skill.

Mustang

I definitely give dongrui the edge in DMC. The guy is just too good. I think there was another guy for Ninja Gaiden as well (japanese guy I think), but as of right now minus the fighting games, donguri and XLH are my go to guys for inspiration if I'm ever in the mood to play these games. Especially XLH and his Nioh videos. Despite not being able to play like him, I can always count on his videos to get me to try even in failed attempts.

Speaking of failed attempts. Died twice so far against Hino-Enma (1 rage quit... Too much ish going on and I was on tilt trying to play the game)

USF4
I'm actually going through a funk right now with games in general but this and Nioh are my go-to's to keep me going. Anyway I was going to go for Yun and Ibuki, but gonna stick with Dudley and Evil Ryu. They just feel to much like me and I'm able to express myself through both characters.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You may be thinking of Shinobier in regard to veteran Ninja Gaiden players who did extremely stylistic videos. That said I'd say that XLH is right up there in skill level when it comes to his Ninja Gaiden content. And I have yet to see anyone even come close to matching him in Nioh, but part of that is sadly because this game doesn't have much of a community among fans of this particular niche community of free-form combo videos, most likely because everyone still thinks of this game as a souls clone first and foremost. So XLH doesn't really have much in the way of competition when it comes to this game. Even Nier: Automata has more of a combo community, just for a point of reference.

Mustang

With Evo being right around the corner that spark has kicked in once more for fighting games, but unfortunately that drive that had me going for Nioh has burned out and I'm in another funk. I need for Spider-Man to be great.

In the meantime I've gotten back into the usual run of the mill fighters at the moment (currently installing SF5 and Tekken 7).

Street Fighter 5 - Laura, Kolin (gonna give Zeku a try and still thinking about Ibuki)
Tekken 7 - Jin, Steve, Kazuya
Dragon Ball Fighterz - Adult Gohan, Bardock, Cell
Street Fighter 3rd Strike - Dudley (of course), Yang, Yun (going top tier now)
Ultra Street Fighter 4 - Dudley, Yun, Yang
BlazBlue Tag Battle - Jin, Yu

This should keep me tied over until the Shenmue collection and Spider-Man (I can't forget Dragon Quest 11 either)
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

Despite my brother and his wife telling me not to, I'm doing it anyway. Decided to teach my nephew how to play Street Fighter. Didn't show him SF5 yet, although I probably should since it's an easier game (mechanically) compared to other games in the series. He'll be turning 5 in Decemenber but he'll be starting school soon and you can tell he's starting to get nervous and he hasn't been around a lot of people and while it's not much I can do I decided to teach it to him. Give him something to look forward to every weekend or something.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

I don't go back to work until next Tuesday. Problem is, neither Spider-Man or Dragon Quest 11 are out to spend time playing. I pre-ordered Spider-Man but I really need to get my hands on it now. I haven't watched anything about Spider-Man since E3 and I just want to play it.

Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition
Running into a lot of issues with Ken at the moment. When I first played him I found him to be fun. Playing him now, not so much. The way the game is built, you need to play like a nut and I don't like doing that, but the problem is Ken is too much of a nutty character and needs to be a nut to be successful with. That being said Nash is a lot of fun. Not sure if I can attempt swag combos with him just yet. His damage output I'm not too thrilled about but I do like what I'm seeing.

Edit:
Please don't judge me for this. I forgot how annoying it is to watch little kids play video games lol. I remember being this bouncy during my first Super Mario game as well, but I think I got over it relatively quickly. That's speaking for the nephew. My niece on the other hand is a different ballpark.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Akuma
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol