The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

I'm going to have to actually read it, I guess. The way it ended really made it seem like it took place before.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel_Annette on February 01, 2013, 01:20:44 AM
I'm going to have to actually read it, I guess. The way it ended really made it seem like it took place before.

What I mean is that, if I remember the game's ending correctly...

Spoiler
SS Link goes back in time and is the one who seals Demise.
[close]

Nel_Annette

No, this takes place before even that. I'm skimming it now, and the Link it focuses on (btw, massive spoilers for the end of the thing, in non-spoilery terms it definitely makes it clear the SS Link comes afterward)
Spoiler
is framed, jailed, released by the kingdom after the person who frames him dies, charges with an army against Demise, flies the red Loftwing into battle, dies after sealing Demise, and Hylia picks up his corpse and promises to reincarnate him. Flash forward to SS Link as a young boy, who then meets his bird for the first time.[/spoilers]

It says the manga is exclusive to Hyrule Historia, so I don't know if that makes it canon or what. But they should really bring the red cape into the games. Link looks awesome with it over his tunic.

But then, I never finished SS, so what do I know. Is that what happens in the game?
[close]

talonmalon333

What do you guys think of the Ocarina of Time remake, as well as the upcoming Wind Wake remake?

Spark Of Spirit

It's a good remake since it's at full 60fps with updated models, and it's portable (with Master Quest content) and with a touch screen menu. I look forward to the obvious Majora's Mask remake, though hopefully that happens after we can get an original 3DS Zelda.

I'm THRILLED for the Wind Waker remake, since it's my favorite 3D Zelda and will really enjoy playing it off-screen. I hope they add some content (a bonus dungeon or two would be great) and change the Triforce Hunt somehow, but otherwise I'm definitely looking forward to it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I think they both look great considering the graphical power of the consoles they were released on, but they both butcher the aesthetics of their original versions (unless Wind Waker Wii U goes through big changes).

Spark Of Spirit

Eh, I far prefer the way the 3DS version of Ocarina looks to the N64 version. But then I've never had much love for N64 aesthetics.

As for Wind Waker, I'll have to see more footage to judge.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

The only problem I had with OOT is that it didn't add any new dungeons, or include any of the features and locations that had to be cut from the original release.

talonmalon333

My issue with Ocarina of Time 3DS is that I think they toned the brightness up a bit too much. Just look at how much brighter the colors in Hyrule Field are compared to the original. Plus, places such as the Shadow Temple and the final boss fight are far brighter than the original, and you can see more than what was intended. It just loses some of the menace.

There are also a few... strange things about it. Overall, I don't consider it a good or bad port. It's just a weird one, though it's arguably the ideal version of the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually prefer the brighter look. I'm just not a fan of darker looking games, whether its intentional or not. That's one thing that kind of bugs me about the original DMC, in terms of how dark some of those areas look. I personally prefer to be able to see my environments, so bright and colorful works just fine for me. As far as Zelda games go, they are adventure games first and foremost, so to me a broader color-palette and brighter visuals fits the tone of any Zelda game just fine. While I haven't played the 3DS version of OOT, I can easily say that I prefer the look of that game to the original graphics of the game. Either way, though, its still my personal favorite Zelda game, and my 2nd favorite game of all-time.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 14, 2013, 05:12:01 PM
I actually prefer the brighter look. I'm just not a fan of darker looking games, whether its intentional or not. That's one thing that kind of bugs me about the original DMC, in terms of how dark some of those areas look. I personally prefer to be able to see my environments, so bright and colorful works just fine for me. As far as Zelda games go, they are adventure games first and foremost, so to me a broader color-palette and brighter visuals fits the tone of any Zelda game just fine. While I haven't played the 3DS version of OOT, I can easily say that I prefer the look of that game to the original graphics of the game. Either way, though, its still my personal favorite Zelda game, and my 2nd favorite game of all-time.

When it comes to the brightness, I don't actually particularly mind how much brighter most of the colors in the game are too much. My main problem is  the parts that are supposed to be darker get brightened up too much, like in the final battle. In the original, I remember when Ganon launches out of the ruins of his castle and transforms, he's sort of covered in shadow, and you can barely see his monster pig form. But in Ocarina of Time 3D, the whole scene is completely visible. I just think that takes some of the atmosphere away.

EDIT:

Here's another bit. It's the scene where Link leaves the forest at the beginning and Saria says goodbye. I think it just sets the mood better with the shadows. Image comparison in the spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Nel_Annette

I enjoyed the port. Better graphics, I enjoyed the brightness, I love the revamp to the Water Temple, and to a further extent, the way they handled the inventory system.

Still don't know how I feel about the WW remake. Sure, it looks good, but the bloom is turned up to eleven, and instead of looking like cartoons, the characters seem less cel-shaded, which make them look like sausage people. There's going to have to be some significant extra content for me to buy it.

Foggle

I agree, the bloom and character models are both extremely off-putting. Would much rather look at/play the GameCube version.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't seen any videos displaying how the game looks in motion, and still screens are not enough for me to go on. I'll reserve my judgement on the look of the HD port until I see some actual gameplay footage of it.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 14, 2013, 08:44:50 PM
I agree, the bloom and character models are both extremely off-putting. Would much rather look at/play the GameCube version.

I think the released game will look different. I've noticed many early pics for games appear to be heavy on the bloom. As for the character models, they do kind of lack the simplistic charm of the original.

It's true that it's too early to say since we only got a few pics. But judging by them alone, I prefer regular Wind Waker, when running on the Nintendo Dolphin. It looks especially gorgeous.

EDIT: Looks like these pictures are too big to see them entirely here. Ah well. Opening them in a new tab should do the trick.

Spoiler

Spoiler

[close]
[close]