The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 27, 2012, 06:33:15 PM
By first dungeon do you mean the fortress where Toon Link's sister is being held? Because I don't really count that as a true dungeon, and even if it is I kind of found that part to be a little slow since you had to be stealthy being that you didn't have weapons on you for a portion of that area. Well, maybe my memory is foggy on WW but that's what I remember coming first. I do think that the game is pretty awesome, though, and it doesn't take too long to get invested in the deep exploration and awesome dungeons that the game has to offer. That said, while I myself am the type of gamer who hates games that take way too long to get you into the action (which is the main reason for why I can't get into most RPGs), I never really minded it too much in Zelda games. It does a good job of building up the characters and world around you, and its one of the few games where I'm actually somewhat interested in the story, so I don't mind the whole first hour full of exposition thing that most 3D Zelda games having going on. I do agree that its better to get you into the action as quickly as possible, though.
Well compared to TP which has nothing of the sort for well over an hour and the same with SS, it's a much faster start. Wind Waker gets you started on your quest pretty fast. Wind Waker introduces all the concepts to you as the story unfolds instead of presenting you with everything and then letting the story really start.

Als, talon's crazy, the combat is great.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Twilight Princess had the most tedious beginning of all the 3D games. The other games at least had you do something of interest. In TP I recall the first thing having you do in Wolf form is a tedious fetch quest.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 27, 2012, 07:04:26 PM
Als, talon's crazy, the combat is great.  :P

Hey now, I wasn't bashing the games. Like I said, I love WW and SS, and MM is my favorite in the series. I like what these games have that differentiates them. When I said OoT and TP are the ones that resonated best, I was just referring to info that I've gathered about the general public, not my personal opinion. I'll admit that I can be wrong about my explanation, but I feel pretty confident about it.

EDIT: And I just realized I'd forgotten that WW rant I went on a few weeks ago. :P

talonmalon333

In the meantime, I'd like to bring back up a question I asked a few days ago.

What did you guys think of SS?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, Desensitized has already made it clear that he doesn't like it, Avaitor probably doesn't like it either since he couldn't bother to keep playing it, and aside from those 2 and yourself I don't think that anyone else here has played Skyward Sword yet.

If I was playing it, I'd probably like it, but I can't be certain until I actually get a Wii and play it for myself, so until then its not exactly a very well-liked game on this board.

Rynnec

I've played it, I'm just not that far into it. Not out of disinterest mind you, but more because I got distracted by other games.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 01, 2012, 03:08:47 PM
Well, Desensitized has already made it clear that he doesn't like it, Avaitor probably doesn't like it either since he couldn't bother to keep playing it, and aside from those 2 and yourself I don't think that anyone else here has played Skyward Sword yet.

If I was playing it, I'd probably like it, but I can't be certain until I actually get a Wii and play it for myself, so until then its not exactly a very well-liked game on this board.

Ouch. :P

I actually thought Foggle played it though.

Foggle

I have not. I want to, though. :(

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 01, 2012, 04:37:39 PM
I have not. I want to, though. :(

But you said you got it for Christmas, and went on to call it the best in the series.

:whuh:

Spark Of Spirit

I got up to the Dragon Roost dungeon in Wind Waker before I decided to stop for today. I really enjoy the scope and tone of the game, I even went out of my way to do some side quests and got some heart pieces and camera. There's just something about this Zelda that keeps me coming back.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I got it for Christmas, but I have barely had any time to play games since, which I have mostly devoted to my complete Resident Evil run. So once I have more time to game, I'll get to finishing it. I've played about five hours of it so far, and it's easily one of the best 3D games in the series.

I said something to the extent of "it may very well be the best in the series." But I never said I'd finished it, or that I'd even gotten very far in it. I refrained from responding to your question because I don't really know how well the full game will stack up.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 01, 2012, 05:12:04 PM
I got it for Christmas, but I have barely had any time to play games since, which I have mostly devoted to my complete Resident Evil run.

So you stopped SS for RE5...

AJGIAENGKSHSKJDHNJFXDKGXDKJFGHNSKHGSDIHNFKHNDFHNYOUSTOPTHISRIGHTNOW.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 01, 2012, 05:14:53 PM
Quote from: Foggle on March 01, 2012, 05:12:04 PM
I got it for Christmas, but I have barely had any time to play games since, which I have mostly devoted to my complete Resident Evil run.

So you stopped SS for RE5...

AJGIAENGKSHSKJDHNJFXDKGXDKJFGHNSKHGSDIHNFKHNDFHNYOUSTOPTHISRIGHTNOW.
I concur, man.  :oo:

Foggle

Nah, I stopped SS for RE 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, 0, 4, and Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles. 5 was more of a necessary evil to complete my run. ;)

I'll probably play it once I have a lot of time to just sit around and game. Zelda is one of those things that really sucks away my free time.

Foggle

Playing Skyward Sword for real reals now. Restarted the game since it's been so long since I've played any of it.

The motion controls were really cool at first, but honestly, now that the novelty's worn off, I think this game would've been much better without them. I feel like Miyamoto most of the time during combat (you know what I'm talking about) and the flying controls are godawful. SS has way too many cutscenes, too. If Nintendo was going to put this many unskippable story cinematics in their game, they might as well have given them voice acting. Yeah, sue me, I wish a Zelda game had voice acting.

Level design-wise, SS doesn't even hold a candle to Wind Waker or the N64 titles so far, though I'm sure it gets better. But Fi's hand-holding is really getting on my nerves.

While it may sound like I'm hating on it, I'm actually really enjoying the game so far. It isn't blowing me away like most of the series' other entries, but it's still pretty good. Hopefully it improves by the end.