The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 05:14:24 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on April 20, 2012, 03:59:48 PM
Honestly, I just wish they'd make another game using this art style that's actually, you know, good. I've made it known that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks simply are not my cup of tea; too slow, too gimmicky, and too dependent on awkward touch-screen controls.
I remember liking Minish Cap. Haven't played it since release, but it was pretty awesome IMO.

Pssh, I can't believe I actually forgot about that; probably because it's been so long since I've played it as well.

Yeah, Minish Cap was great from what I remember. A really underrated one too, since you don't hear about it all that much anymore. I should really play it again one of these days.

Foggle

3DS really needs something like MC. Back to basics 2D Zelda adventure with the Wind Waker art style. Would be amazing.

Spark Of Spirit

Minish Cap was the last 2D Zelda, too. I've been wanting another one since.  :cry:

Here's hoping for E3 to surprise...
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 05:33:49 PM
Minish Cap was the last 2D Zelda, too. I've been wanting another one since.  :cry:

Shit, there hasn't been a true 2D Zelda since MC? What the fuck Nintendo. :wth:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 05:34:55 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 05:33:49 PM

Shit, there hasn't been a true 2D Zelda since MC? What the fuck Nintendo. :wth:
No, we haven't gotten one since. After MC we got the DS games which were not traditional at all.

Since they bombed and they know we want classic Zelda again, we can only hope they learned.

Don't let me down, Nintendo!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I want to see another non-gimmicky 2D Zelda and another 3D Zelda without motion controls before I die. :(

Kiddington

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 05:42:19 PM
I want to see another non-gimmicky 2D Zelda and another 3D Zelda without motion controls before I die. :(

This. Everything about this, right here.

The DS titles just kill me. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but there's really nothing about them that I like at all. The stylus touch-screen controls are awkward as hell, and nothing about the graphical style appeals to me in the way it's being used (even though they do use the spiffy Wind Waker graphics, it's just not working for me in those two instances). And of course, not to mention, they are the most boring Zelda games ever made. Zelda handhelds used to be a thing of beauty; Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, the ever-so-awesome Oracle titles... I mean, what happened? How did we go from the aforementioned to these?

Foggle

I find it interesting that Minish Cap and the Oracle games were actually developed by Capcom instead of Nintendo. Clearly they understand what makes a great 2D Zelda better than the original creators...

Link's Awakening is my second favorite Zelda after Wind Waker. I love everything about that game. Third and fourth are the Oracles, and fifth is Majora's Mask. (Ease up, guys; OoT and LttP are sixth and seventh, respectively.) I really feel like the magic has been somewhat lost since WW...

Spark Of Spirit

Nintendo was weird with the DS. Some games had forced touch screen stuff it didn't need, and others just used it for simply having a second screen. The games that benefited were traditional games like the Castlevania's for getting a map on the bottom screen, Contra 4 for more screen space, and those touch screen games and gimmicky games like Hatsworth. Zelda didn't do any of that.

Zelda simply took control away from you and dumbed everything down because Zelda wasn't made for touch screen, and used boring gimmicks to fill time. Considering the Game Boy games were known for pushing the classic Zelda style forward with each game, these were massive disappointments.

But the weird part was, they only did this to Zelda and Metroid. We never got a 2D Metroid that could take advantage of dual screens for maps, or a traditional Zelda that could use touch screens for item management (until the OoT remake), despite them being obvious choices.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 05:57:50 PM
I find it interesting that Minish Cap and the Oracle games were actually developed by Capcom instead of Nintendo. Clearly they understand what makes a great 2D Zelda better than the original creators...
Specifically Flagship who Nintendo now owns. And made Skyward Sword.

I really like every traditional Zelda after the NES games a lot. There's nothing quite like a fun top down Zelda. Though I do like the 3D games, The 2D ones are just faster to me.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 05:59:03 PM
We never got a 2D Metroid that could take advantage of dual screens for maps
Ugh, don't remind me. Hunters was complete garbage. FPS do not belong on portable consoles...

STILL WAITING FOR METROID 5, NINTENDO. OTHER M DOESN'T COUNT.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 06:03:37 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 05:59:03 PM
We never got a 2D Metroid that could take advantage of dual screens for maps
Ugh, don't remind me. Hunters was complete garbage. FPS do not belong on portable consoles...

STILL WAITING FOR METROID 5, NINTENDO. OTHER M DOESN'T COUNT.
It was even worse for me because I thought Zero Mission and Fusion were on par with Super and to see them passed over like that for an entire generation was a total letdown.

talonmalon333

The handheld Zelda games are no more gimmicky than the console ones.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 06:30:32 PM

The handheld Zelda games are no more gimmicky than the console ones.
"Gimmicky" is in reference to the control scheme. The only similarly gimmicky console Zelda is Skyward Sword.

Spark Of Spirit

I can still move Link with the analogue stick in the Wii games, so I have no complaints.