The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm currently playing Minish Cap on my 3DS and am totally digging this.

We need a new Zelda like this badly, just playing through it (and barely remembering it) and I'm constantly reminded at why this is my favorite style of Zelda.

E3 can't come soon enough!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I beat Minish Cap and I remain impressed. It was quite the fun game.

My only issue? The length. Plot-wise, I guess it makes sense since you're constructing the Four Sword (This is where it originates) and fighting Vaati for the first time so collecting the 4 elements makes sense. They try to make up for it, though. There's usually quite a lot to do between most dungeons, and a lot of kinstones to keep you busy, the only issue being that there are no sidequests or hidden items outside of them leading to them being rather limiting unless you seek them out. Still, 6 excellent dungeons, great weapons, and fantastic game-play make it a great Zelda game.

My only story-ish gripe is that Skyward Sword Link has the cap when the cap is supposed to originate here as Ezlo. Even the stain-glass of Link's predecessor (obviously SS) isn't wearing the cap, it is an element they should have kept. I like being reminded of Ezlo as he's the best sidekick Link has ever had.

Nonetheless, I enjoy top down classic Zelda, and I can only hope for more of it in the future (and hopefully next week at E3) as it truly is my favorite type.

And one of my personal favorite items that the 3D games have continually failed for not including:

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I think MC was meant to be the origin of the cap, but they scrapped that idea.

In fact, I've always believed MC was originally meant to be a sort of origin story for the series. The Japanese version even ends saying saying "This is the end of Link's first adventure". Want more evidence? Look at this beta shot of MC.

What do you see there? Yep, it's the Master Sword, instead of the Four Sword. Being that MC tells the story of the Four Sword's creation, it's very possible that it was originally going to be the story of the Master Sword's creation, a story that, as we all know, became the basis of SS's story.

MC and SS also had the same director, Hidemaro Fujibayashi. Some more food for thought, eh?

Spark Of Spirit

Weird. But cool.

Still, I like the cap basically being a gift from Ezlo explaining where Link got the iconic cap from. It was a nice touch.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is it just me or are there too many Zelda games that have seemingly gone back in time to try and be "the origin" story? First it was A Link to the Past that was supposed to be the origin. But then Ocarina of Time came out and that was supposed to be the origin of origins. But then Majora's Mask complicated the timeline even more by taking place between Link's childhood and adulthood from Ocarina of Time....or was it the same time as his childhood from OoT since he was still a kid? You see, I don't even know, because its as confusing as shit. Then The Minish Cap came out and it was supposed to tell one of the earliest tales of Link. And recently we had Skyward Sword which has been toted as "the origin of origin stories" for the series. Why do I get the feeling that within the next decade we'll get at least another Zelda game or 2 that goes even further back and claims to be the REAL origin story? Why can't the series either just move forward or just be a series of seemingly parallel Universes that don't necessarily have any coherent continuity with one another? I like the games well enough as stand alone titles. Zelda has never had any appeal to anyone for continuity, anyways.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 02, 2012, 12:17:52 AM
Is it just me or are there too many Zelda games that have seemingly gone back in time to try and be "the origin" story. First it was A Link to the Past that was supposed to be the origin. But then Ocarina of Time came out and that was supposed to be the origin of origins. But then Majora's Mask complicated the timeline even more by taking place between Link's childhood and adulthood from Ocarina of Time....or was it the same time as his childhood from OoT since he was still a kid? You see, I don't even know, because its as confusing as shit. Then the Minish Cap came out and was supposed to tell one of the earliest tales of Link. And recently we has Skyward Sword which has been toted as "the origin of origin stories" for the series. Why do I get the feeling that within the next decade we'll get at least another Zelda game or 2 that goes even further back and claims to be the REAL origin story? Why can't the series either just move forward or just be a series of seemingly parallel Universes that don't necessarily have any coherent continuity with one another? I like the games well enough as stand alone titles, anyways? Zelda has never had any appeal to anyone for continuity, anyways.
I agree with you, I've been wanting an actual Zelda 2 sequel for the longest time.

I accepted Minish Cap for not only showing the creation of the Four Sword (and all subsequent Four Sword games) as well as the hat, but I could have done without SS being ANOTHER early story.

I hope the next Zelda is post-Zelda 2 finally.

Foggle

I don't really pay attention to the plot or continuity in Zelda games. At this point, even Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden 2 make more sense than the LoZ canon...

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 02, 2012, 12:21:00 AM
Isn't Twilight Princess post-Zelda 2?

Avaitor

I understand why they keep on trying to make "origin" Zelda games, since there's a market to sell origin stories once every few years, but it's such a mindfuck to consider what's canon and what's not that I don't see why anyone would go out of their way to.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2012, 12:22:26 AM
I don't really pay attention to the plot or continuity in Zelda games. At this point, even Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden 2 make more sense than the LoZ canon...

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 02, 2012, 12:21:00 AM
Isn't Twilight Princess post-Zelda 2?
... This is why the Zelda timeline is so annoying. I really hope we get a parallel dimension game that merges all three timelines together again so things can go back to normal. The three streams makes it really confusing.

Zelda 2 is still the last game in the series... Despite being the second game made.  :-[

Nel_Annette

I agree. I almost yelled at the screen when Skyward Sword changed the origin.

"What?! A warrior outfit? No! No no no! It was a gift from the... the thing! The hat thing! That used to be a midget thing!"  :unimpressed:

Man, i love Minish Cap. I believe there was data that showed that the Royal Crypt was going to be a full blown level at some point. I think the only problems I had with the game were the length (Only, what, six dungeons?) and that it was a tad too easy. I've never died in that game. Not once. I remember getting so pumped after beating that the first run-through with no deaths that I popped right into A Link To The Past on GBA. ALttP kicked my sorry ass so hard, I was discouraged from playing the thing until 2011. Also, the map seemed a bit... small. Then again, I just played Link's Awakening, and looking at that and the Oracle games' overworld maps, they all seem smaller than I remember. But with MC, it's something I noticed on the first playthrough.

That's really interesting that the Master Sword was originally there first. Probably would have made for an amazing tale if it explained that sword's origin too, and having Vaati involved with the whole ordeal. Speaking of which, this incarnation of Vaati made him my favorite series villain. Seriously, it made FSA disappointing in hindsight because he was so cool in this. They need to bring him back sometime in that grey-skinned form, and the eye form can stay as his "Ganon transformation" equivalent. Ganondorf's featured enough, let Vaati hijack the plot sometime.

*Remembers when he thought Ghirahim was Vaati, and got his hopes up*

EDIT: (while I was typing this, 5 replies had been posted. Sweet mother of shit. XD) I agree that we need a game down the line that fuses the timelines together again. Maybe play in three different styles in one game? (Overhead, realistic, cel-shaded, etc.). Also, agree on the origin stories. Seems like they focus on "no this is the real beginning" a few too many times.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Metal Gear's timeline is easy.

Big Boss is weird-

Metal Gear Solid 3
Peace Walker

Snake is a rookie-

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2

Snake has a fever dream while recovering-

Snake's Revenge

Snake is called back into action-

Metal Gear Solid

Snake retires with Meryl and lives happily ever after.

And that's the Metal Gear story.

Foggle

What about Portable Ops and Rising? ???

Foggle

Oh, and Ghost Babel! Can't forget that one.

Spark Of Spirit

Ghost Babel is apparently an alternate universe, same with the Ac!d games. I wish the Ghost Babel universe was canon.  :-\

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2012, 12:39:23 AM
What about Portable Ops and Rising? ???
Oh forgot about those.

Portable Ops is probably between 3 and PW and Rising is a long time after MGS1 since it's basically a new story.