The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

My Wii started working again (don't ask me how it died or came back to life- I couldn't tell you), so I think I'll get around to playing it again after I finish Thousand-Year-Door.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I think it's better than you guys give it credit for. Sure, the game has massive issues (iffy motion controls, annoying fetch quests, WTF level design, Fi, too much exposition, etc.), but it still had its perks. It's also worth mentioning that the game was thrown together in two years, or less.

My issue is that they talked so big pre-release while they were scrambling to complete it and hiring outside studios to polish up the graphics, all just to get it out on time. Not to mention they wasted to much time. Personally, I can agree that it is probably the worst of the 3D Zelda games, but it's still a great game. And I wouldn't say it fell below my expectations... though admittedly I try not to have any when going into games.

talonmalon333

Thoughts on the idea of a Zelda reboot, guys?

Rynnec

What would a reboot entail exactly? I know there's the whole timeline thing, but Zelda's timeline has never really played a major role in things. Zelda's continuity is rather loose.

Now, if you meant a gameplay reboot, then a "back-to-basics" Zelda game with a top-down camera would be pretty interesting to see.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Rynnec on July 16, 2012, 05:48:06 PM
What would a reboot entail exactly? I know there's the whole timeline thing, but Zelda's timeline has never really played a major role in things. Zelda's continuity is rather loose.

Now, if you meant a gameplay reboot, then a "back-to-basics" Zelda game with a top-down camera would be pretty interesting to see.

Pretty much everything, I mean. Story reboot, gameplay reboot, etc.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't care about a story reboot because I don't play Zelda games for their stories. I do enjoy their stories, so don't get me wrong, but its not like there is a huge sense of continuity with the series to begin with, and most titles feel completely stand-alone, so in that regard a reboot of the story would accomplish nothing except setting up a continuous Zelda story-line, and honestly that doesn't appeal to me at all. I like and prefer Zelda being an episodic series of games rather than a convoluted continuous one.

As for the gameplay, isn't every new game pretty much a reboot? Well, its more accurate to say that each new game comes up with its own new gimmick, so its not like the series is playing the same tricks that it did in the last few games or so with each new release. You have you're typical puzzle solving and such, but each game has a brilliant sense of variety that makes it stand out and feel unique from every other game in the series. And besides, wasn't Skyward Sword in and of itself a reboot of the gameplay? I mean, the whole thing was motion-controlled and the over-world was changed so it was more like the entire game was a huge dungeon whereas other Zelda games had you do more activities in towns and such between main dungeons. Really speaking, though, the Zelda series is one of the most diverse franchises in all of gaming. For the most part, there aren't 2 games in the entire series that feel all that similar, with maybe a few exceptions to that rule. That's more than I can say for any other big franchise sans Mario, as most other game series are content with just making a few new additions to the gameplay with each sequel rather than completely coming up with an entirely different concept.

Basically, the original Zelda and LTTP set up the main style of play for 2D Zelda games, and Ocarina of Time set it up for 3D Zelda games. Most Zelda games since then have used the basic blueprint structure of those games for their core gameplay elements but then added in a completely unique flavor of their own with their own concepts, gimmicks, spins, and twists put on the formula.

So, in short, the answer is no, I don't think the series needs a reboot. In fact I think reboots have become so ridiculously overused these days in more mediums of entertainment than just gaming. Some series are fine the way they are. I have no idea why so many people are so fascinated with seeing a reboot of everything. Most of the times reboots just turn out to be shitty copies of what's popular at the time, anyways.

Spark Of Spirit

I just want a 2D top down Zelda game. It doesn't even need a big story, just a classic style Zelda game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 16, 2012, 08:02:42 PM
I just want a 2D top down Zelda game. It doesn't even need a big story, just a classic style Zelda game.

Pretty much this. The series really doesn't need a story reboot considering how easy it is to do a self-contained story in this series without referencing the others. But moar Vaati pls. I think he has so much more potential than just "giant eyeball". Also, I'd like it if they kept reusing races like the Minish, Twili and Lokomo. That's the kind of series continuity I like. It stinks when they keep introducing all these cool races but we never see them figure into any plots again.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It'd be awesome if they could get the people who made the Oracle games to make another 2D Zelda game. I still say that those are the best 2D Zelda games that I have ever played, and those developers given the proper scope with modern hand-held technology could make one of the most creative and all-out awesome 2D Zelda games to date. Unfortunately Nintendo seems to forget that despite the success of the 3D Zelda games, it still has a huge fan following from its 2D roots, and that style of gameplay still works really well.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 16, 2012, 08:42:05 PM
It'd be awesome if they could get the people who made the Oracle games to make another 2D Zelda game.

That was Capcom. Can we still trust them? :P

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 16, 2012, 08:50:07 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 16, 2012, 08:42:05 PM
It'd be awesome if they could get the people who made the Oracle games to make another 2D Zelda game.

Flagship, actually.

They made Skyward sword.  :D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 16, 2012, 08:50:07 PM

Actually it was Flagship, which was just a subsidiary of Capcom (just like how Clover Studios was a subsidiary of Capcom). The suits and higher-ups at Capcom are the ones who have sunk the company with such crappy business practices. The developers that worked for Capcom when it was in its prime are supremely talented, though. I have no idea if the developer Flagship even still exists, but I was saying that it would be cool if most of the people who were part of Flaship and involved with making the Oracle games could come together to make a new 2D Zelda game. Its an impossible scenario, which I'm aware of, but that would be my ideal set-up for a team of developers to make a truly great 2D Zelda title.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 16, 2012, 08:56:03 PM
Flagship, actually.

Really? Hmmmm....Wikipedia tells me that it was Nintendo EAD that developed SS....and we all know that Wiki never lies. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

They did. Flagship doesn't exist anymore.

Quote from: Foggle on July 16, 2012, 08:57:14 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 16, 2012, 08:56:03 PM
What? I thought SS was in-house.
Nintendo bought Flagship and the director for the Oracle games and Minish Cap directed SS.

I'm sure there's a link on google or Wiki that you can find.