The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I still haven't played SS so I have no comment on that, but regardless of whether you guys liked it or not, you can't deny that the director of that game KNOWS how to make a great 2D Zelda game. I mean, if he indeed was also behind the Oracle games and MM, then that means he got it right 3 times in a row, so you know its no fluke.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 16, 2012, 09:02:40 PM
Well, I still haven't played SS so I have no comment on that, but regardless of whether you guys liked it or not, you can't deny that the director of that game KNOWS how to make a great 2D Zelda game. I mean, if he indeed was also behind the Oracle games and MM, then that means he got it right 3 times in a row, so you know its no fluke.
He's probably better suited to the 2D style. Either way, I hope the next Zelda game is top down. We're way too overdue for one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I have my own opinions about the idea of a Zelda reboot. But it'll probably be a long post, so I'll do it later. :P

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 16, 2012, 08:42:05 PMUnfortunately Nintendo seems to forget that despite the success of the 3D Zelda games, it still has a huge fan following from its 2D roots, and that style of gameplay still works really well.

Let's not forget Nintendo is heavily considering another 2D game right now. ;)

I was never sure why they put the guy who did MC in as SS's director. Clearly he wasn't up to the task.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I still have yet to play SS, so once again, I don't know what to think of it. Maybe the motion controls are problematic, but as for the actual game design itself, I have a feeling that its the type of game that I'd like better than you guys do. To be honest, I love the idea of a Zelda game that puts more emphasis on the puzzles and adventure elements. I like side missions and stuff, but honestly all that stuff is kind of just padding to me. I'm good with the game if it has a lot of substance to it, at the very least. I'm sure it takes a while to get into, but honestly that's the same for almost every Zelda game, IMO, including both ALTTP and OOT, among the other games in the franchise. The only exception to the rule for me is, once again, the Oracle games (though even those took me about 15+ minutes to get into, but they move along pretty quickly, which I really like about them).

Avaitor

I don't really care if they reboot Zelda or not. As long as they remember that the franchise is about adventure and exploration, not story or combat or anything like that.

I don't know if that's what they got wrong with SS, but that's all that really matters to me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 16, 2012, 09:09:21 PM
Well, I still have yet to play SS, so once again, I don't know what to think of it. Maybe the motion controls are problematic, but as for the actual game design itself, I have a feeling that its the type of game that I'd like better than you guys do. To be honest, I love the idea of a Zelda game that puts more emphasis on the puzzles and adventure elements. I like side missions and stuff, but honestly all that stuff is kind of just padding to me. I'm good with the game if it has a lot of substance to it, at the very least. I'm sure it takes a while to get into, but honestly that's the same for almost every Zelda game, IMO, including both ALTTP and OOT, among the other games in the franchise. The only exception to the rule for me is, once again, the Oracle games (though even those took me about 15+ minutes to get into, but they move along pretty quickly, which I really like about them).

Don't get me wrong, I think SS is a great game. I just, shall we say, hate everything that it stands for. :P

I do imagine you might like it more than I do, as you're a bigger fan of Zelda puzzles. At the same time, the game has a lot of fetch quests, and not just as side content. Much of it is incorporated into the main game. What you'll hear from me and most is that the game's pacing isn't too great, especially compared to OoT which had marvelous pacing.

But that said, yeah, it's indeed a great game. But if I can make a recommendation, if you get the chance, I highly suggest playing TP first.

talonmalon333

Now in the meantime, I'm gonna list my favorites. But I can't rank them anymore. And tiers are reliable, so...

Tier 1: OoT, MM, TP
Tier 2: ALttP, LA, WW, SS
Tier 3: LoZ, AoL, MC, ST
Tier 4: FS, FSA, PH

OoS and OoA will be reinstated after I get to replay them both. Too long since I've beaten either.

Foggle

Mine:

God Tier: OoT, MM, ALttP, LA, WW, MC, Oracles
Good Tier: LoZ, FSA, FS
Not Always Horribly Painful Tier: AoL, SS
Shit Tier: ST, PH

Haven't played TP.

Spark Of Spirit

Mine is pretty close to Foggle's one. AoL would be so much better if the difficulty wasn't so cheesy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on July 17, 2012, 12:40:04 AM
Mine:

God Tier: OoT, MM, ALttP, LA, WW, MC, Oracles
Good Tier: LoZ, FSA, FS
Not Always Horribly Painful Tier: AoL, SS
Shit Tier: ST, PH

Isn't that top tier a little cluttered? :P

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 17, 2012, 12:49:01 AM
AoL would be so much better if the difficulty wasn't so cheesy.

This is my favorite description of AoL's difficulty ever.

Quote from: Foggle on July 17, 2012, 12:40:04 AM
Haven't played TP.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 17, 2012, 12:50:55 AM
Isn't that top tier a little cluttered? :P
It's an awesome series, what can I say? :sweat:

Quote:huh: :huh: :huh:
This year... I will get a copy and play it... hopefully...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For me, its like this (based only on the Zelda games that I have played):

Top Tier:
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
The Wind Waker
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Minish Cap

Middle Tier (I warn you, this one will be blasphemy to the rest of you):
A Link to the Past (I respect this game a lot, but I honestly have so much trouble getting into it)
Link's Awakening (Same as above, really)
The Legend of Zelda (once again, I respect this one, but this time it flat out hasn't aged as well as its 2D successors)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (I don't really like this game, but I only kept it up here for one reason, which is that it isn't nearly as bad as the worst Zelda games of all time)

Bottom Tier:
CDI Zelda games (I've only ever played a few minutes of one of these games, but that's enough for me to know what abominations they are)

Foggle

Actually, I can admit that Link's Awakening is overrated as all hell by nostalgic gamers, even if it is my favorite 2D Zelda (possibly due to nostalgia)...

talonmalon333

Nostalgia isn't needed to recognize that LA is better than OoS and OoA. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OK, Talon, state your reasons. What makes LA more creative, unique, and more well designed than either of those games?